PDA

View Full Version : KDE Broken in Fedora 7

eXDee
3rd June 2007, 07:31 AM
Hello,
I've downloaded fedora 7 full, and chosen to install KDE and not gnome.
I've updated everything, but items wont show up in the K menu.
I installed yum extender, thunderbird and wine through yum, all show up fine in the menu. I did this pretty much straight after installing the OS.
But now, menu editor doesnt work at all, you add an item and click save and it does nothing. I just installed 250mb of games through yum. None of them are in the menu at all.
Before that i installed aMSN and that didn't show up either.

Also firewall options do not save either, i add a port and click apply then ok, or just ok, and when opening it again the port is gone.

So, how do i fix this?
Is there any way i can detect all the games and other stuff i've installed without doing it manually? I dont really want to add 30 items into my menu manually, finding commands and icons would be a pain, considering the menu editor doesnt work.
Im also sure as hell not reinstalling 250mb of games either.

Seve
3rd June 2007, 07:40 AM
Also firewall options do not save either, i add a port and click apply then ok, or just ok, and when opening it again the port is gone.
So, how do i fix this?
Hello:
Not sure about the KDE issue, however, the firewall issue is related to a a problem with SSH

system-config-securitylevel

and make sure you un-click SSH as a trusted service and you should be able to amend your firewall settings.

Seve

eXDee
3rd June 2007, 07:57 AM
Does that mean that i cannot use SSH? Or if i enable SSH it will remove my ports i have manually added?
I obviously want to be using it, so it could be a bit of a pain if so.

Seve
3rd June 2007, 08:06 AM
Hello:
You can use ssh, or at least I can here without it being selected as Trusted.
I have only used ssh out and not to the F7 box at this point.

Seve

eXDee
3rd June 2007, 09:05 AM
It seems if i untick, add ports, and the click apply, then tick it again then click apply i can have both. Bit of a crappy workaround, FC6 didnt have this problem.

Anyway, the issue is KDE that is annoying me, FC6 also didn't have this problem. Ideas?