PDA

View Full Version : Audacious Install

ironeagle62
3rd June 2007, 03:28 AM
I feel kinda sheeeeeeepish asking this, I installed audacious (FC6) manually from rpms and had no errors. I cannot find it anywhere to run it. If there is a tut somewhere point me to it. But please show me the error of my ways.....

stephanie.steve
3rd June 2007, 03:35 AM
I don't know that many commands yet but when I do that I just try this in the terminal locate ****** so go in your terminal window and try typing locate audacious

btw.. why fc6 still? :) I just installed fedora 7 and got half of my stuff installed :D java, flash even through crossover, swiftfox ;) mplayer probably next

ironeagle62
3rd June 2007, 03:47 AM
I have 7 on another box, only I have run out of monitors and keyboards. I am using 6 on my main pc right now because of the fglrx issue with 7. As soon as it's fixed I'll be going over. Until then there is plenty to play with here.

ironeagle62
3rd June 2007, 03:50 AM
all that did was show me the rpms I used to install it.

u-noneinc-s
3rd June 2007, 04:33 AM
mark@spongie:/media/disk-3/Video> whereis audacious
audacious: /usr/bin/audacious /usr/lib/audacious /usr/include/audacious /usr/share/audacious /usr/share/man/man1/audacious.1.gz

If you are using gnome, I don't know where you'll find it in the menu but it may just have a generic name. For KDE it's in multimedia->Audio Player (Audacious). I have 3 "Audio Players" in my menu 1 generic, 1 Amarok, 1 Audacious. Audacious has a black icon with a white or grey circle and a black "a" in the middle (in my menu).

EDIT: You can run it from CLI with the command audacious.

stephanie.steve
3rd June 2007, 04:37 AM
fglrx issue ? I was thinking of trying to put that on here as well but haven't gotten around to it yet

Saint Mike
3rd June 2007, 07:32 AM
Open up a terminal as a normal user and run "audacious"

It might not be installed, you can see if its installed with
rpm -qa | grep audacious

Look up firewing1's howto on seting up livna and install it off there with yum if its not ;- )

ironeagle62
4th June 2007, 12:12 AM
I manually downloaded the files to my laptop and had to copy them to my main machine because it has an internal modem which i cannot get to work, even with the latest drivers from linuxant. Anyway i created a directory called "download" and copied all files here. I ran the following:

[jim@EaglesNest download]$ sudo rpm -ivh *
Preparing... #####################################[100%]
package taglib-1.4-5.fc6 is already installed
package lirc-0.8.1-1.fc6 is already installed
package libmpcdec-1.2.2-4.fc6 is already installed
package libbinio-1.4-6.fc6 is already installed
[jim@EaglesNest download]$

No errors cool.. So I then followed some of the instructions given:

[jim@EaglesNest ~]$ rpm -qa | audacious
bash: audacious: command not found

and:

[jim@EaglesNest ~]$ whereis audacious
audacious:
[jim@EaglesNest ~]$

I also ran audacious from the term window:

[jim@EaglesNest ~]$ audacious
bash: audacious: command not found

So is it not installed? It doesn't appear on any menu in Gnome or KDE.

Dies
4th June 2007, 12:52 AM
Nope, doesn't look like you installed it, you can get Audacious and all it's plugins from Livna, it's pretty much useless without the plugins.

When it is installed it should just appear in your menu under Multimedia, you may have to log out and back in but it's usually picked up right away.

ironeagle62
4th June 2007, 01:20 AM
I followed mjmwired's guide. I have all the rpms in the folder from livna as well as Fedora Extras. I even contacted mjmwired to advise of dependancy issues which he corrected for me. Do I have to have a live connection to install it? When I double click on the rpm it comes up with the Retrieving software info box. If this is the case I'll have to drag this monster to work and install everything from there. It seems like it only installed some of the plugins and none of the app.

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2007, 01:53 AM
No you shouldn't "need" to be connected to install it.. rpm -ivh should have worked fine, and if there were dependencies it should have told you.
There is a problem with one of your command (doesn't matter at this point).

No errors cool.. So I then followed some of the instructions given:

[jim@EaglesNest ~]$ rpm -qa | audacious bash: audacious: command not found

This one should have been rpm -qa |grep audacious or just rpm -q audacious but as I said at this point it doesn't matter. whereis didn't find it so as Dies said it's doesn't look like it installed.

I have had this happen in the past and for the life of me I never figured out what went wrong, but I would have to guess an error on my part (not uncommon for me ;)).

I would suggest trying again but put it and all it's deps in a seperate sub-folder and rpm -ivh *.rpm so everything gets installed at the same time.

Just as an added note, audacious is based on xmms (though I don't recall if it is dependent on it).
I tend to use xmms (out of habit more than anything). You might give it a try if you don't have it, but it also needs plugins for proper function.

ironeagle62
4th June 2007, 02:37 AM
Yea even when I try to remove it nothing comes up. I think I'll just take it to work tomorrow and do it with a live connection.

Sure wish SBC/ATT would spend some of those millions they are making and get DSL out here......

thanx for the help.

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2007, 02:55 AM
That would probably be your best bet, howerver, if rpm -i says it's already installed and rpm -e says it's not installed, there may be a problem with the db. If yum complains about it already being installed, you can try rpm again but this time try
rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs *.rpm (and don't forget to be in the working directory.) ;)

Saint Mike
4th June 2007, 06:39 AM
Woops that was meant to be rpm -qa | grep audacious :P

rpm -qa will list installed stuff, grep audactious will cut out all the lines that dont have "audactious" in them

ironeagle62
4th June 2007, 03:06 PM
Problem solved. No broadband connection at the house. Yum is wonderful.

THANX