PDA

View Full Version : Why is Fedora so terrible for burning cds

JoeyJoJoe
2nd June 2007, 06:15 PM
Basically the title says it all. XP was so easy to do this stuff on. If I still had a copy of it I'd be booting into it now so I could actually do what I wanted to.

All I wanted to do was wipe a CD and then burn the new Fedora7 liveCD.

I tried using the udftools and that just broke the CD
I tried using k3b but that claimed that it couldn't get exclusive access to /dev/hdc

I thought I'd just decide to waste a DVD on it and have done with it, but gnomebaker just burn the iso as a file.

Why must it be so bad at doing something which is so simple elsewhere....?

Firewing1
2nd June 2007, 06:18 PM
I only use k3b for burning/erasing and it works wonders.

The exclusive access is probably because the drive is mounted (in use) - Right-click the CD/DVD icon on your Desktop, select Eject, then try to erase the CD/DVD.

As for burning the ISO image, well yes any app will burn it as a file unless you select Burn as Image.

Firewing1

JoeyJoJoe
2nd June 2007, 06:29 PM
thanks for the help (and sorry for the mild flame...)

You are right, if I eject the disk, tell k3b to erase the cd and then put the cd in after it has failed it'll work - its a bit of a dirty workaround though...

I did think that gnomebaker would be able to automatically tell that I'd want to burn an iso as an image because there was no option that I could see to burn the image - but I did find it with k3b fairly easily.

Thanks for the help,
-Joe

sideways
2nd June 2007, 06:45 PM
Does this post (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156489) help at all?

Can you post if it does, so the info can be added to an faq.

JoeyJoJoe
2nd June 2007, 06:54 PM
sideways,

it didn't work if I have done it right... trying to chmod wodim didn't work because it said that it didn't exist, so I tried to chmod cdrecorder which did go through, although not fix the problem...

I might have done it wrong though, I wasn't too sure what it was saying you actually needed to do in the first section

sideways
2nd June 2007, 07:02 PM
sideways,

it didn't work if I have done it right... trying to chmod wodim didn't work because it said that it didn't exist, so I tried to chmod cdrecorder which did go through, although not fix the problem...

I might have done it wrong though, I wasn't too sure what it was saying you actually needed to do in the first section

Ok, I guess firewing1's solution will be the one to use then.

Thanks for trying out the tip, I wanted to test myself but don't have access to Fedora 7 at the moment (I installed from the livecd, tested a bit, uninstalled and am downloading the dvd now)

hammel
2nd June 2007, 07:53 PM
thanks for the help (and sorry for the mild flame...)

You are right, if I eject the disk, tell k3b to erase the cd and then put the cd in after it has failed it'll work - its a bit of a dirty workaround though...

I did think that gnomebaker would be able to automatically tell that I'd want to burn an iso as an image because there was no option that I could see to burn the image - but I did find it with k3b fairly easily.

Thanks for the help,
-Joe

Yes, gnomebaker can also burn images!

tomcat
2nd June 2007, 08:00 PM
A typical example of pebkac. :D

hammel
2nd June 2007, 08:04 PM
A typical example of pebkac. :D

what the f... is pebkac?

daneel971
2nd June 2007, 10:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC

paul matthijsse
2nd June 2007, 10:31 PM
Why must it be so bad at doing something which is so simple elsewhere....?Hello, I use gnomebaker all the time to burn iso's to a dvd+rw disk, never any problem at all; just say in Tools, burn iso-image... (don't say Start a dvd-data project or something, as suggested on the "front page" of gnomebaker, just go to Tools).

Cheers, Paul.

hammel
2nd June 2007, 10:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC

Aha! (haha)

saqer
3rd June 2007, 04:48 AM
Why is Fedora so terrible for burning cds
Maybe because you are not using k3b. :)

psyklops
3rd June 2007, 05:10 AM
I tend to use growisofs for a quick and dirty DVD burn.

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hda= <name of iso file> -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -dvd-compat -speed=4 -overburn -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

...you'll probably note that the above line is essentially K3B's command... :)

hammel
27th April 2008, 08:41 AM
Try Brasero...

$ yum - y install brasero

DCOH
28th April 2008, 04:19 AM
Can't figure out why people have such a hard time burning DVD's and CD's in Fedora I actually find it to be easier to use K3B or one of the other programs in Linux than Using Windows which can be hit or miss if it works.

majikthise
28th April 2008, 04:24 AM
I had more success with k3b than any other app, brasero comes a very close 2nd. Although the current problem with verification giving false failures is getting on my nerves.

Wayne
28th April 2008, 04:27 AM
To burn an ISO in Gnome is sooo easy and you don't need GnomeBaker or K3b! Just right click on the ISO and select 'Write to disc' from the menu...

Edit: Also, look under 'Places' and you'll see CD/DVD Creator. It's a special Gnome folder just for burning files. Drag and drop any files you want to burn to CD/DVD into that folder and burn away.

Wayne

majikthise
28th April 2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks Wayne,

What's the situation for converting mp3s to cda? That's sort of got me flummoxed. :)

rdieter
29th April 2008, 01:17 AM
For burning mp3's to cda, you need to install k3b-extras-nonfree from livna.

majikthise
29th April 2008, 03:37 AM
k3b-extras-nonfree from livna.I'll give it a miss.

piga
29th April 2008, 04:56 AM
To burn an ISO in Gnome is sooo easy and you don't need GnomeBaker or K3b! Just right click on the ISO and select 'Write to disc' from the menu...

Edit: Also, look under 'Places' and you'll see CD/DVD Creator. It's a special Gnome folder just for burning files. Drag and drop any files you want to burn to CD/DVD into that folder and burn away.

Wayne

Yep, great feature

Just wish it could burn Audio disks to.

hammel
29th April 2008, 03:40 PM
Can't figure out why people have such a hard time burning DVD's and CD's in Fedora I actually find it to be easier to use K3B or one of the other programs in Linux than Using Windows which can be hit or miss if it works.

My goal is to find a cd/cvd-software for gnome which does not need or load kdelibs.

rdieter
30th April 2008, 01:02 AM
k3b works happily here, modulo kernel bugs that affect verification.

zuvuya
30th April 2008, 07:14 AM
Is there any grafical interface to write data on streamer casette?