PDA

View Full Version : How do you start KDE ?

OralDeckard
2nd June 2007, 12:45 PM
I have installed KDE, but when I reboot I have to type in STARTX. It then goes directly to Gnome. I cannot find a option to go to KDE.

In F6 it starts X automatically, and goes to a graphical window enter the user and password, where I can change desktops if I want to.

Paul_Vandenberg
2nd June 2007, 01:39 PM
Make sure this line .....

id:5:initdefault:

....in /etc/inittab has a '5', not '3'. The 5 will ensure that you automatically get into 'X' and then you will be able to choose what deskto you want.

....Paul

bob
2nd June 2007, 02:44 PM
Where you sign in, look for the small type down below. It's a menu to make your selection there. By default, Fedora will start with whatever you shut down with. You can also install 'switchdesk' and 'switchdesk-gui' to make selections that way. ("yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui").

OralDeckard
2nd June 2007, 05:29 PM
Thank you Bob, but when I sign in there is no small type down below because only the solution to my question could get me that far. Signing in I get stuck at a shell type login. There I can type STARTX and start x, and go straight into Gnome.

Thank you Paul. That Inittab file certgainly had a 3, and I changed it to a 5.

Then when I rebooted it diid indeed go past the shell login. But it went to Init: "X" spawning too fast. Waiting 5 minutes. And after 5 minutes it does the same thing again.

But if I move quickly I can still log in at the shell type login, and still go straight to Gnome.

So I have been searching the subject, and found things like this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah! I've seen that on some Red Hat 6.x systems. 'prefdm' is a symbolic link to your preferred display manager (the original xdm, the newer kdm for KDE, or the culprit of your problem the gdm, GNOME display manager).

Try starting the system in single-user mode (or running the command 'telinit 3' to switch to the "normal" multi-user mode without any display manager (graphical login) running. Then remove the PID file and any stray core files in the root, /root and similar directories.

You might also want to look for any UNIX domain sockets under the /tmp directory and /var. You can use the command command: 'find /tmp /var -type s -ls' to look for them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far I have opened every initialization script referenced in an initialization file, and can't find a way to change me preferred desktop.

Any ideas will be very welcome.
Thank you.

Paul_Vandenberg
2nd June 2007, 07:02 PM
There is a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop. It is probably empty. Edit that so it says,

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

That will make kdm be the display manager instead of gdm. It will also make KDE the system wide default desktop.

Paul

OralDeckard
3rd June 2007, 04:05 AM
Thank you Paul.

I found that not only was it empty, it did not exist. I checked my FC6 instalaiton, and it existed there, empty like you said.

So I created it and pasted in the two lines you provided. On reboot it tried to go to KDE, but failed saying it could not find kdesetupconfig.

So with so many components of KDE missing I went back to Yumex and made sure it really was installed. Yumex said it was. So I added several KDE applications and rebooted.

Now it goes to KDE, which now consists of a blue background and a small terminal in the upper left.

So I reboot and this time, with the small print at bottom that now appears, I selected Gnome.

It did the same thing. So I tried the F4cx thingy. It did the same thing.

So I have gotten much closer, but still no cigar.

From the terminal I entered "firefox" and am able to send this.

Basically everything works that can be run from a terminal window.

But I did find the source of it. When I installed it identified my ATI Radion 8800 as a Trident and after installation I could not start X until I used an editor to change the xorg.conf file to replace Trident with the only thing I could get to work when I installed FC6, vesa. But when I installed FC6 the video card was an nvidia gForce 5200. I simply moved my old drive into this new computer and and installed FC6 into another drive for my wife.

So right now F7 is installing on my wifes computer, and it identified her video card correctly, and the installation is more graphical and more like it used to be. It is installing fine on hers, and I expect it to work correctly there. I think I'm going to have to find out what to tell xorg.conf my video card is.

It seems like I am within one program of getting this thing to work. And whatever that program is it is common to all desktops. The situation got altered when I installed more kde apps. Would you happen to know what program would enable all desktops? You have known just what to do so far, so I'm hoping.

Thank you very much for the help you have provided. It has been invaluable.

Paul_Vandenberg
3rd June 2007, 07:00 PM
I am grasping at straws here.....but have you tried reinstalling kdebase? You might be missing some Xorg packages as well. Make sure xorg-x11-xdm is installed. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

marko
3rd June 2007, 07:07 PM
the first thing I do when I install a new Fedora is change from Gnome to kde, but
I install both gnome and kde since they can run each others stuff and so I have
the ability to switch between them.

1) use yum to install switchdesk
yum install switchdesk

2) edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to remove 'rhgb' and 'quiet' and comment out 'hiddenmenu'
on the kernel options

3) edit /etc/inittab to change the initdefault from 5 to 3

4) use the switchdesk I just installed to switch to kde:

switchdesk kde

that should be all, at the next reboot, fedora should just end up at a console
and you log in then start KDE via 'startx' as a command line command.

Mark

OralDeckard
5th June 2007, 04:48 AM
Thank you Paul & Marko.

I did indeed reinstall kdebase. I will now remove and reinstall xorg apps.

I will also install switchdesk. I have already set innitab back from 5 to 3. Without that I couldn't even get to gnome.

Do you know if it matters that I uninstalled every 32 bit program I could find? I don't know why a 64 bit installation has so many aps installed in both 32 and 64bit. But now that I have removed them, and have problems, I wonder if they were there for a purpose. Could that be it?

OralDeckard
5th June 2007, 05:40 AM
This big smiling thank you is brought to you by a functional KDE :)

I did everything both of you suggested, and on restart, kde came up.

Wow this is great :)

Thank you both, and have a wonderful day :)