PDA

View Full Version : GRUB boot menu: Two fedoras ? Fedora and Fedora Base ?

myisty
2nd June 2007, 08:20 AM
Hi,
I have WinXP and Vista installed first and then I installed Fedora second. I make XP and Vista as my default system using GRUB and when I press the enter key so I can boot into Fedora. I see there are two options of Fedora. One is Fedora 2.6.20-2929.1.fc7 and the other one is Fedora base 2.6.21-1.31994.fc7. Is there suppose to be only one Fedora OS ? My fedora is version 7. Before there was only one Fedora option in the boot menu but now there are two.

Please help. I'm a newbie on Fedora. :(

bob
2nd June 2007, 12:05 PM
Periodically, Fedora will update the kernel (core of the operating system) and since there can be individual problems with all the hardware out there, some might have a bit of trouble with a new kernel. So, by default Fedora will show both the new kernel and the previous one, so you can still use the older one in case of a problem. Older kernels beyond those two are automatically removed.

myisty
2nd June 2007, 10:52 PM
Periodically, Fedora will update the kernel (core of the operating system) and since there can be individual problems with all the hardware out there, some might have a bit of trouble with a new kernel. So, by default Fedora will show both the new kernel and the previous one, so you can still use the older one in case of a problem. Older kernels beyond those two are automatically removed.

Which one is the older kernel ? Thanks