PDA

View Full Version : Yum Yum Yum ???

salida
1st June 2007, 05:57 PM
F7 a wonderfull distro with a horrible yum..
i was expecting something really good for yum in F7, but i was disappointed...
Yum is so confusing, and everything is so stucked with meaningless explaination..
Does anyone know a similar program to yum for F7 with big programs support.

JN4OldSchool
1st June 2007, 06:04 PM
F7 a wonderfull distro with a horrible yum..
i was expecting something really good for yum in F7, but i was disappointed...
Yum is so confusing, and everything is so stucked with meaningless explaination..
Does anyone know a similar program to yum for F7 with big programs support.

Just do yourself a favor and learn how to use Yum. It isnt any harder or more confusing than apt-get or dpkg or anything else. You just have to figure it out. I wont argue that Yum is the best or the fastest, (apt-get is :) ) but it is what Fedora uses and there just isnt enough difference between any two package managers to matter. I am sure I will be flamed royally for that but I am so sick of hearing "yum sucks..." Yum is just fine.

leigh123linux
1st June 2007, 06:18 PM

I find you post pretty meaningless. :rolleyes:

bob
1st June 2007, 06:22 PM
You can also use the Smart and Apt/Synaptic Package Managers, if you're familiar with either of them: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Apt As to yum, try 'yum install yumex' which will give you a graphical user interface and perhaps make it easier to work with.

Dan
1st June 2007, 06:53 PM
Hmmm.

At the risk of being soundly thrashed for it ... What's wrong with the Add/Remove Software function?! (pirut) It's Yum based for accuracy, very graphical in nature, right there, readily available on the applications menu ... ? Yet, people avoid it like it had head-lice! Whussup with that?

Does the job for me. Although I agree with JN4. Learning the command line version (Yum) is a really good skillset to have!

Dan

Gallan
1st June 2007, 07:07 PM
I tried to stay quiet but I can't...I agree with salida that yum is quite trash and if program is what you don't wana use change it. I fight with yum several moths with FC6 and then I changed it to smartpm and after that I haven't have any problems to upgrade or install programs and biggest thing I like to use that. smartpm is way faster than yum and I like the logic how it works.

but everyone have to find the right one for them selfs so salida try smartpm, apt-get or what ever you want and then use the best for you :)

salida
1st June 2007, 07:16 PM
Let me be more precise...
I didn't say that yum sucks as others did....
I just said that i waited something MUCH BETTER in F7 for yum....

thank you very much Gallan for supporting me...
i will try the managers that you mention...
i hope i find my way out....

ironeagle62
1st June 2007, 07:32 PM
I have used yum and Add/Remove Software. I haven't had any problems with either one, except for the extreme slowness the last day or 2, but I'm pretty certain this F7 party is causing it.

pete_1967
1st June 2007, 07:51 PM
Hmmm.

At the risk of being soundly thrashed for it ... What's wrong with the Add/Remove Software function?! (pirut) It's Yum based for accuracy, very graphical in nature, right there, readily available on the applications menu ... ? Yet, people avoid it like it had head-lice! Whussup with that?

Does the job for me. Although I agree with JN4. Learning the command line version (Yum) is a really good skillset to have!

Dan

From my few experiences with it, it seems to have problems if the first mirror is not available and I hate the waiting time when you select something from the list.

Could be just me not using it regularly though.

Also, this is highly personal, I prefer to see where I am at process instead of watching animated gif spiining around.