PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with gnome on F7?

gleadhach
1st June 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi there guys and gals.

I have done a clean install of Fedora 7 while preserving my /home partition, and I am experiencing an intermittent problem with gnome, in that sometimes it is crashing when logging in and out, is there an issue with gnome sessions? I would love to be able to have a look at bugzilla, but unfortunately for some reason I can not view it at the moment (Firefox is reporting that the site is taking too long to respond).

I have tried to delete all gnome related config files in home, such as .gnome .gconf etc. which resets my desktop settings, and start again, but I am still experiencing this problem. KDE has been installed and seems to be working fine for me, but my preference is gnome.

Any help/info is appreciated.

Cheers

d3viant
1st June 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm seeing similar issues - not quite sure what's causing it. Logging in as root doesn't cause any problems. Deleting the .gnome files doesn't seem to fix the problem either - I am guessing it's pam or something similar that sits in between gdm and gnome.

If anyone else has seen this problem, or knows how to resolve it, help would be greatly appreciated :-)

giulix
1st June 2007, 02:12 PM
You probably have to delete more than that... Try deleting everything (obviously after doing a backup) and then copying back the files you need or create a new user. It worked fine for me, but I'm still on F7T4.

D0min0
1st June 2007, 02:32 PM
I've had a lot of similar trouble in the past. I do as giulix says. I always now create a new user and copy everything in. The only "." (dot) directories I copy into a brand new home directory is .evolution or .thunderbird and they seem fine.

d3viant
1st June 2007, 03:00 PM
ok - will try deleting my user entirely and recreating...

gleadhach
1st June 2007, 04:12 PM
ok - will try deleting my user entirely and recreating...

I got ruthless with my home directory, every hidden file bar the following got scrubbed:

.purple/
.mozilla/
.thunderbird/
.themes/

Everything seems to be okay now ;)

d3viant
1st June 2007, 05:22 PM
gleadhach, just a quick question - did you have kmod-nvidia from livna installed by any chance when you were having trouble with gnome-panel?

gleadhach
1st June 2007, 08:33 PM
gleadhach, just a quick question - did you have kmod-nvidia from livna installed by any chance when you were having trouble with gnome-panel?

No mate, the only third party software that had been installed as Java 1.6.0_01 (from Sun), Flashplayer 9 (from Adobe) and xmms-mp3 from livna, none of which have been changed, and the problem has now been solved for me.

d3viant
1st June 2007, 08:44 PM
hmm - strange - I'm still seeing the problem after deleting my user, there is definitely something a bit odd going on there...

1st June 2007, 10:30 PM
I found its the sound. If you create the user and have the sound turned off, it works perfectly. I think its something to do with having system sounds on and alsa. I will keep playing and track it down, but a bug.

I find on login the clock and speaker don't show up, and the menu is either blank or non functional.

With system sounds all turned off this does not happen.

I tried alsa, oss anything its the same.

You can enable sound (the top check box), but NOT the system sounds (second check box - login, logout, etc) this causes the gnome 'freeze'.

d3viant
2nd June 2007, 05:36 PM
It's to do with the esound module. There is a bug report and a workaround (that I can confirm works) posted here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242059

HMSS013
2nd June 2007, 09:58 PM
Anyone else having problems with gnome on F7?

yes... too many to count...

gleadhach
2nd June 2007, 10:31 PM
Feel free to comment on them please, rather than a passing remark that, in my honest opinion, adds very little to this discussion.

cr4ck3r
3rd June 2007, 04:29 PM
It's to do with the esound module. There is a bug report and a workaround (that I can confirm works) posted here:

That seems to fix the problem, but mouse did not show up sometime after login into GNOME. I don't know why :confused:

emdubya
5th June 2007, 02:53 AM
Gnome was my default session. The first boot of F7 I had trouble with the Genome session. I heard the login sound and was looking at the F7 desktop but there were no desktop icons or panels. I Ctl Alt Backspace to get out. I restarted and tried again and was successful at logging in. Stay loged in overnight and most of the following morning. I logged out to take a look at KDE. Logged into KDE ok. Everything seemed to be working but evolution would not start. I logged out of KDE and I had logged in to Gnome but there were no Icons on the desktop and no panel. I ctl alt backspace to get out. Rebooted a few time but no success with Gnome. Made KDE the default session and logged in. KDE is working fine even evolution. As long as I don't attempt to log in to Gnome first evolution works fine in KDE. If I make an unsuccessful attempt to log into Gnome and then have to do a Ctl alt backspace to get out, and then log into KDE, evolution will not start. I don't know what's going on.

giulix
5th June 2007, 10:04 AM
I don't use KDE, I do not even install it (except the libraries, which I use for K3B, Amarok, etc.). Why don't you use two distinct users, one to log in Gnome and one to log in KDE ? That way you'd have two separate home directories which do not interfere with each other. I am not sure if that's the reason. Hopefully someone who uses both DMs will shed some light on this issue...

dnar
5th June 2007, 11:41 AM
hmm - strange - I'm still seeing the problem after deleting my user, there is definitely something a bit odd going on there...
I had the same problem, I killed gconfd-2 after deleting (moving .gnome2 and .gconf and .gconfd) and then logged back in. Fine.

glennzo
5th June 2007, 12:12 PM
I found its the sound. If you create the user and have the sound turned off, it works perfectly. I think its something to do with having system sounds on and alsa. I will keep playing and track it down, but a bug.

I find on login the clock and speaker don't show up, and the menu is either blank or non functional.

With system sounds all turned off this does not happen.

I tried alsa, oss anything its the same.

You can enable sound (the top check box), but NOT the system sounds (second check box - login, logout, etc) this causes the gnome 'freeze'.That would explain my screwed login this morning then. Booted to a desktop that had only a mouse pointer and gkrellm. No panels and no desktop icons. I had been playing with sound yesterday, enabled system sounds, and then logged out to do other stuff with the computer, in Win Vista. This is what I get this morning when I try to get to my Fedora 7 desktop.

d3viant
5th June 2007, 04:32 PM

Just thought I'd point out my post from further up :-)

The workaround to keep system sounds is listed at this url.

z5rz
5th June 2007, 05:10 PM
I am having same issue with gnome. System sounds are not on. I have tried both i386 and x64 installs and both have the same issue. Only install afterwards common to both is the kmod-nvidia driver & related dependancies.

I have tried deleting conf files as outlined, I may be able to log in but system will eventually freeze. If I log in as root, same thing will happen.

On one of the installs I loaded KDE and XFCE additionally. I did not have the issue when logging onto KDE. But, I did not use extensively to be sure.

z5rz
5th June 2007, 06:30 PM
Just an fyi, further on the above. I re-installed the i386 version (clean install) and did not load the kmod-nvidia drivers from the livna repo's. I took the default upgrades when they came and have done nothing else to the system.

It is running fine at this point. For me anyway, it appears to be related to the kmod-nvidia drivers. If things change, I will let you know. I will try to load system sounds as indicated above to see if they corrupt the system

z5rz
5th June 2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. As above, turned the sound on, reboot, system froze. Guess it could be the sound. I will give it a few days before trying again.

stanmc
6th June 2007, 09:55 PM
I had the same problem, I killed gconfd-2 after deleting (moving .gnome2 and .gconf and .gconfd) and then logged back in. Fine.Hate to appear as a newbie but I am not exactly sure I'm getting what you are saying here. To where did you move .gnome2 and .gconf and .gconfd? Then you killed gconfd-2 and logged back in. That part I get. My original install of F7 on my older portable worked for a while until I did updates and installed Thunderbird plus a few other things. It then would hang at boot with no progress past the background screen. I'm on my third install and it only gets worse. I have made a new user and that one works perfectly.

What I'm trying to do is to save my mozilla and thunderbird parameters and some files from my home directory so that I don't lose my bookmarks and mail files etc. Any thoughts on this?

----edit----
I removed <rm> the files from .gconf and .gconfd using rm * -rf from within these two hidden directories. The gnome desktop now completes at startx. I don't remember if I removed the directories. I think I just emptied them. Problem solved.

giulix
7th June 2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, this (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86477) thread may give you some hints...

Melio
8th June 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not having problems with gnome specificly, but the gnome panel stopped displaying minimized/running apps. it's now blank perm...

it's kinda annoying. cause if I minimze stuff I don't know it's there anymore. unless I alt+tab and look in there