PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 images are DVD only?!

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 05:50 PM
is there any particular reason the Fedora 7 images are only offered on DVD... seeing as i do not have a DVD burner on my laptop or have one readily available to me... this is slightly inconvenient... :confused:

civilwarlord
31st May 2007, 05:59 PM
Check out: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ . There are CD versions too.

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:02 PM

404 CD versions not found.... (i've had too many problems with "Live CD" versions also... definitely not the makings of a "daily driver operating system"

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:07 PM
Check out: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ . There are CD versions too.Hey!

I followed your thread to the Torrent to download the DVD. It's my first time....do I just say "download to disk" and let it torrent away, or is there more to it than that?

I'm using Feisty at the moment and I have a DVD burner. thanks for the link. Any help appreciated.... :) All the best!!

omg! I just noticed it's my first post on the Fedora forum? Tut, tut! I didn't go and introduce myself.............must be all the exitement! :)

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:10 PM
Hey!

I followed your thread to the Torrent to download the DVD. It's my first time....do I just say "download to disk" and let it torrent away, or is there more to it than that?

I'm using Feisty at the moment and I have a DVD burner. thanks for the link. Any help appreciated.... :) All the best!!

yup... it's just that simple...

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:14 PM
yup... it's just that simple... That is Tip Top! Just the ticket for a novice like me. Many thanks!! :)

civilwarlord
31st May 2007, 06:16 PM
I checked all the CD version links, they work. I think you can install the live cd to hard drive, but not sure. When I tried out the KDE live cd before, it worked ok.

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey HMSSO13! (omg, what a username???)

It's offering me the options to "Open with Bittorent" or "Save to disk?" I really don't want to overwrite my present OS: Should I go with open with..or...save to disk?

Thanks again!!! :)

Dan
31st May 2007, 06:23 PM
Hi, HMSS013.

The re-spun rawhide liveCD works just fine here, and I believe it can be used to do an install, then YUM or Pirut or Yumex can be used to build the system up to personal specs.

Hi. ed-j.

Ayup. I'm new to it, but from what I've been able to gather, the torrent is just that simple. However, after you've gotten your download, methinks it's a very good thing to "seed" and share some bandwidth for the next guy.

I'm using Bittorrent, and it seems fairly intuitive to use. However, if anyone can bork a simple project ... ! <.:p..>

Dan

Dan
31st May 2007, 06:29 PM
"Open with Bittorrent"

It'll start the download then. You won't bork the current system. Just DL the files.

bman
31st May 2007, 06:32 PM

It's offering me the options to "Open with Bittorent" or "Save to disk?" I really don't want to overwrite my present OS: Should I go with open with..or...save to disk?

Bittorent uses the .torrent file to download the file. You don't download directly from the site, you download from other bittorrent users. Just press Open with Bittorrent and it should start downloading. These aren't really fedora questions, they're bittorrent questions!

Edit: It doesn't install directly from that image, you must burn it to disc first and then install like any other OS. Theres no chance of it overwriting your current OS.

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:33 PM
I checked all the CD version links, they work. I think you can install the live cd to hard drive, but not sure. When I tried out the KDE live cd before, it worked ok.

i appreciate the help....and i have heard that you can install the 'Live CD' to the hard drive before... i have tried this on numerous occasions and have never actually had it work. Also, (using Fedora Core 6) i refer to the CD's for software changes when i do not have the internet redily available. For these and many other reasons the DVD image or a 'complete' set of Binary CD's is a must have. I am still curious as to why they are not offered for this release. :(

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:36 PM

lol... no worries... 'save to disk' only stores the torrents tracker file anywhere you chose on your hard drive... either choice will be ok... but 'Open with Bittorrent' will start the download now...

hammel
31st May 2007, 06:43 PM
Where are the CD-images?

alfick3
31st May 2007, 06:48 PM

I just went to this link, and the only CD versions are live CD's. I don't want this either. I want the 5 (or however many CD's for F7) disk ISO images so I can upgrade my FC5 via CD. My laptop has a DVD/CD-R combo, so I could install from DVD, but I can't burn the image. What do we older hardware people do?

Al

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:51 PM
Hi. ed-j.

Ayup. I'm new to it, but from what I've been able to gather, the torrent is just that simple. However, after you've gotten your download, methinks it's a very good thing to "seed" and share some bandwidth for the next guy.

I'm using Bittorrent, and it seems fairly intuitive to use. However, if anyone can bork a simple project ... ! <...>

Dan Thanks Dan!

It's the "seed" word that did it? I'm looking at 0% of Fedora-7-x86_64......................and I was just about to say "aaaarrrggghhh.....nowts happening!" when my Gizmo tells me I've got a download between 3 and 6KB/s, time elapsed=c8mins, time remaining..........about 9 days?=#I=|8-o*/*=Boing! ( That was my brain momentarily refusing a little fundamental reality. )

Well, thank god for the Royal Mail !

Do you think, in your busy schedule, you could possibly give me just the "hairs breadth" of an explanation of what I'm actually engaged in here? I mean, I don't think I can stay awake for 9 days (just gone up to 13............faint) and I can sincerely praise the Stars that I'm not on pay-as-you-go. However. I like the idea that I can somehow share my bandwidth..............hmmmm?

Any explanation will surely set me on the path to more explanations! Many thanks!!! :)

ed-j........... http://www.modfree.org/ (just gone up to 15 days.......insane whimper? )

ed-j
31st May 2007, 07:22 PM
Bittorent uses the .torrent file to download the file. You don't download directly from the site, you download from other bittorrent users. Just press Open with Bittorrent and it should start downloading. These aren't really fedora questions, they're bittorrent questions!

Edit: It doesn't install directly from that image, you must burn it to disc first and then install like any other OS. Theres no chance of it overwriting your current OS.Thank you to the emerald Isle!

I'm not so happy about having my machine on all night: I have "Open, Resume and Stop" buttons on the downloader. Could you please give me some advice on either switching it Off/On and/or something else? Much appreciated! :)

edit* back later. Thanks!

JordanN
31st May 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks Dan!

It's the "seed" word that did it? I'm looking at 0% of Fedora-7-x86_64......................and I was just about to say "aaaarrrggghhh.....nowts happening!" when my Gizmo tells me I've got a download between 3 and 6KB/s, time elapsed=c8mins, time remaining..........about 9 days?=#I=|8-o*/*=Boing! ( That was my brain momentarily refusing a little fundamental reality. )

Well, thank god for the Royal Mail !

Do you think, in your busy schedule, you could possibly give me just the "hairs breadth" of an explanation of what I'm actually engaged in here? I mean, I don't think I can stay awake for 9 days (just gone up to 13............faint) and I can sincerely praise the Stars that I'm not on pay-as-you-go. However. I like the idea that I can somehow share my bandwidth..............hmmmm?

Any explanation will surely set me on the path to more explanations! Many thanks!!! :)

ed-j........... http://www.modfree.org/ (just gone up to 15 days.......insane whimper? )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

iissmart
31st May 2007, 07:35 PM
I checked all the active mirrors that I was able to connect to - I'm looking for a set of i386 F7 CD's...did they only release it on DVD?

thompaine
31st May 2007, 07:38 PM
Short answer - yes, DVD only.

rh4user
31st May 2007, 11:27 PM
Yep and even though it looks like it's possible to make cd's using some of the new tools it's still a pain. I don't think I'll be upgrading to 7 anytime soon.

sideways
31st May 2007, 11:52 PM
If the dvd iso image is downloaded to your local machine, on a separate partition, you can install using that by burning the boot.iso image to a cd, booting from that, type 'linux askmethod' at the prompt and select to install from a hardrive, then point to the dvd iso image.

(To get the boot.iso image, mount the dvd iso using mount -o <dvd iso image> /mnt/dvd (create /mnt/dvd first), then look in /mnt/dvd/images)

Zotter
1st June 2007, 12:27 AM
Sideways is right. I've only ever used the DVD images and I don't even have a DVD burner. I've even gone as far as to setup an old box as an 'install' FTP server and do everything via FTP.

Works great and I don't have to worry 'bout make'n coasters out of DVD blanks.

Now, it looks like I can use a USB device to boot up, won't even have to make a bootable CD to start the show.

ed-j
1st June 2007, 12:33 AM
Hey jordanN !

I've been doing my best to read some of the Wiki link. Pretty phenomenal stuff really! ( I am presuming you have read so far as to understand that I'm a Novice?)

Does this mean that I can set a simultaneous upload at the same time as downloading, or do I have to wait until my download is complete before I can become a "seed?"

edit* I've looked at the Upload tab and I appear to be uploading about 8 x more than I'm downloading?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the link! :-)

bob
1st June 2007, 12:35 AM
You can install from the Live CD. I don't have a dvd drive myself and used the installer off the T4 version to install. I've just downloaded both the KDE and Gnome Live CD's and am burning them as we speak. I'll boot both and make a decision on which to install after playing for awhile. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download#Understand

rh4user
1st June 2007, 02:38 AM
Can you upgrade FC6 from a F7 live cd?

Iron_Mike
1st June 2007, 04:32 AM
Can you upgrade FC6 from a F7 live cd?

I really wouldn't say upgrade, but the default partitioning scheme is to "remove all partitions" and use LVM.....

stry_cat
1st June 2007, 05:14 AM
If the dvd iso image is downloaded to your local machine, on a separate partition,

What do you do if you don't have a separate partition? :confused: All of my partitions are currently being used for something (and it doesn't appear that I'm using lvm so I'm not even going to attempt to shrink them and create a new one).

Flyboy917
1st June 2007, 05:18 AM
$34.98 @ Walmart...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5518024
Ouch!

multescugeorge@
1st June 2007, 07:15 AM
When you don't have the download finished you are a "peer", you help distribute chunks of the data and also download what you still need.
After you finish the download, you become a "seed", and only upload.
Also, different download/upload speeds may be caused by your internet connection.

contraculto
1st June 2007, 08:06 AM
ed:

i almost always upload more than i download, that's just normal bittorrent behaviour, so don't worry about it. think you must have read about it but the way the system works is that you upload and download at the same time, even if you only have small pieces of the files. and the terminology is imple:

seed: has the full thing downloaded on their machines and only uploads (nothing to download)

leech: is at the same time downloading and uploading.

the magic of distributing files between users without a central server. you only download from other guys and they get stuff from you. =)

if you need any help send me a priv a and we can talk over msn/gtalk/skype ;)

ed-j
1st June 2007, 08:51 AM
Hey rod!

I have read a little, put that together with the experience and what I now know from other members and yes, I figured out that I was DLing/UPling together.

In the beginning, the DL was as low as 0.5KBs upto 10KBs, and the UL was as low as 5KBs upto 40KBs. 11/12 hrs into the DL:

DL = 3 to 500KBs UL = 30 to 40KBs DL finished roughly 13 hrs, UL still @ 35 to 45KBs. I have no Cap on the number of Users ( peers ) and no limit on the UL Rate. ( I decided not to switch the UL off. ) This is ok for today, then I have to check how that effects my ISP charges ( I don't have unlimited DL's so I presume the UL's will be the same: The DL will cost me 3.00 but the UL could cost me 10. My little ( read very large ) bit to say thanks for Fedora! :) )

Q's for you:

What do I do if I need to turn the UL off and back on again?

You use the word leech? Is this the same as peer?

Are you sure that the "Bon Accorde" of Torrent is to give more than you take? Who makes the rules about this?

Thanks for your help! -)-(- :-)

JordanN
1st June 2007, 09:04 AM
Usually, your upload is determined by your download. In other words, if you want to download really fast, they expect you to be willing to upload really fast. This was a design principle, because if everyone insisted on mooching, the concept of bittorrent simply wouldn't work.

When you start Bittorrent, it checks a directory to see if all the pieces of the target file are present, if they are, then it goes into seed mode. Otherwise, it contacts the tracker to see how to go about finding the missing pieces.

ed-j
1st June 2007, 09:17 AM
Spot on! Thank you jordanN!

More Q's: So if I decided at any time that I can afford to be generous, all I do is connect to the torrent again and I will be a seed?

Also, if I connect to the torrent and there are new packages for the "target" ( In this case Fedora 7 ) I can contribute a seed to the torrent at the same time as getting my upgrade?

Thanks again! :)

JordanN
1st June 2007, 09:23 AM
No, the ISO is just the installation image, intended to be burned to a DVD. Upgrades will have nothing to do with it.

Also, Bittorrent is only useful when there are a significant number of people trying to download a particular file at the same time. After a month, I would say just delete the file, as the need for seeds will be long past.

Upgrades are generally done via "old-fashioned" download, as there is usually less concurrent demand.

sideways
1st June 2007, 11:18 AM
What do you do if you don't have a separate partition? :confused: All of my partitions are currently being used for something (and it doesn't appear that I'm using lvm so I'm not even going to attempt to shrink them and create a new one).

You can download the livecd, like most modern livecds, it has an install option.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=637&num=2

rh4user
1st June 2007, 11:24 AM
I really wouldn't say upgrade, but the default partitioning scheme is to "remove all partitions" and use LVM.....

Thanks for letting me know.

PeTzZz
1st June 2007, 11:54 AM
This thread is the join of this (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=156239) and this (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=156245) thread. I merged them to prevent seperated talk about the same thing.

redzo
1st June 2007, 01:19 PM
I trust this link:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD#head-586d2ea07bfe30c9cdcdff1a86e63a4e68de08b9
, so I'll try installing it from the live cd, since I don't own a dvd burner or a dvd reader(my socketA Sempron is just too old and I don't think it deserves spending more money on upgrades).
It should work just fine I think.
I hope that the guys will change their mind and provide
a full CD-INSTALL version.

stry_cat
1st June 2007, 01:37 PM
You can download the livecd, like most modern livecds, it has an install option.

Thanks for the link. That article says that the F7 live CD doesn't have gcc and that you can't change your package selections. So what do you use in place of gcc and how do you get other packages? Sounds more like the live CD version is some kind of demo crippleware. Looks like I'm not going to get to use F7 until they come out with CD iso's. :(

Finally a question to the moderators: Why was this thread merged with a thread that primarily talks about how bittorrent works?

ed-j
1st June 2007, 01:41 PM
No, the ISO is just the installation image, intended to be burned to a DVD. Upgrades will have nothing to do with it.

Also, Bittorrent is only useful when there are a significant number of people trying to download a particular file at the same time. After a month, I would say just delete the file, as the need for seeds will be long past.

Upgrades are generally done via "old-fashioned" download, as there is usually less concurrent demand.So the .torrent DL is best used upon the first release of a Distro to take the load off the server! Now I've got it!! :)

This help has been Spot on! Many thanks! The name of the "Fedora Gang" will be heard far and wide. I'll be back one day to let you know how I get on with Fedora. All the best!!! :) :) :)

ed-j

www.modfree.org

sideways
1st June 2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the link. That article says that the F7 live CD doesn't have gcc and that you can't change your package selections. So what do you use in place of gcc and how do you get other packages? Sounds more like the live CD version is some kind of demo crippleware. Looks like I'm not going to get to use F7 until they come out with CD iso's. :(

Finally a question to the moderators: Why was this thread merged with a thread that primarily talks about how bittorrent works?

Well, they had to leave off some stuff, people have been complaining for ages about not being able to install Fedora from a single CD, I guess it's hard to get the right balance to satisfy everyone.

When you boot up the livecd there will be an icon on the desktop to install to your harddrive (Things have improved since test 1).

Once installed you can download the extra packages you need using yum. eg for gcc and other compiler tools do

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

awillard69
1st June 2007, 02:57 PM
I would be nice if they would include a script or 2 on the DVD ISO that could build the CD ISO's.

stry_cat
1st June 2007, 03:12 PM
Once installed you can download the extra packages you need using yum. eg for gcc and other compiler tools do

Thanks for the info. They need to fix that article as it certainly implies you're stuck with a limited set of packages.

ed-j
1st June 2007, 05:46 PM
$34.98 @ Walmart...
Ouch!Nice bit of Corporate Advertising there. Is that the same company that stopped selling ammunition for firearms?

bowenmark
1st June 2007, 06:07 PM
Had no idea that when I installed FC5 that within such a short time frame I would be needing to install 6. Put that off because just didn't have the days to spare getting the programs I was using installed and working, four days I'll never get back again.

Is there a Linux distro that you can use for longer than Fedora before having to reinstall everything?

William Haller
1st June 2007, 06:23 PM
RHEL, or the CentOS respin that's free has a much longer release schedule. If you want to switch, this is a good time to do so because RHEL5 just came out (with it's free CentOS equivalent) which moves the package versions much closer to where Fedora was in your time frame.

The downside is that they have a long release horizon, and before RHEL6 comes out, you may well be wishing you had some of the useful features that will then be commonly available in Fedora. We ended up moving to the latest PostgreSQL for one of our products because the distributed release was so out of date. RHEL does security patches all along, but the feature set stays much more stable.

ed-j
1st June 2007, 09:25 PM
Hi jordanN !

Right, I'm just about to sign my seed out after 26hrs. I've made a 3.2G UL, thanks very much for all the help. Special mention for: bman, HMSSO13, rod and TangleWood! --------------------------------------->ed-j :)

HMSS013
1st June 2007, 11:14 PM
$34.98 @ Walmart...
Ouch!

how about something for those of us who don't have a desktop... genius...
this response would be the primary reason i noted that i had a laptop in the first place... :rolleyes:

HMSS013
1st June 2007, 11:17 PM

lol... even tho the liveCD is not the answer i was looking for... installing from a seperate partition was an idea i had not yet considered, but worth a shot... thx for the unique solution... *i'll keep my fingers crossed*

BNiels707
2nd June 2007, 02:08 AM
Wow, this is an interesting thread.

I had no idea the lack of a CD release would offend so many people.

People who are saying you don't like installing off of Live CD's should really try it, the one included with Fedora 7 is really good.

Also, external DVD drives have gotten cheap (<$50), if you really need all of the packages on the media, that will probably be your best bet.

Dan
2nd June 2007, 02:09 AM
this response would be the primary reason i noted that i had a laptop in the first place... :rolleyes: Or ... Another possibility!

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/refurb/refurb_slc.asp?CatId=17&category=Laptops

Many have DVDs, and are very affordable.

Or.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=483&Nav=|c:89|&Sort=4&Recs=30

Dan

EDIT: That little Targus is cute as h*ll, but yikes, what a price!

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1238086&CatId=483

D.

Flyboy917
2nd June 2007, 02:27 AM
this response would be the primary reason i noted that i had a laptop in the first place... :rolleyes:

Yo Mate,
It was meant to be tongue and cheek! Hopefully you found what you needed.
:)

jtravnick
2nd June 2007, 12:26 PM
well this is just great. The only DVD burner in this house is in the wifes system and that box has windows and it just did a hard crash this morning. I was planing on redoing her system when 7 came out but now have no way of burning a DVD,

I hate to say this and im sure somebody will jump me for saying this but I feel like this only having a DVD iso is like microsoft when they come out with a new op and you have to upgrade your system to run it. I have a perfictly good CD burner in my system and have NO plans on replacing it untill it goes bad. Why should I pull a part that works. Its like oh these new shoes will help you run better but first you need to replace your feet even though theres nothing wrong with them.

Well now that im done ranting feel free to jump all over me. But that is how im felling this morning.

Jim

sideways
2nd June 2007, 12:34 PM
well this is just great. The only DVD burner in this house is in the wifes system and that box has windows and it just did a hard crash this morning. I was planing on redoing her system when 7 came out but now have no way of burning a DVD,

I hate to say this and im sure somebody will jump me for saying this but I feel like this only having a DVD iso is like microsoft when they come out with a new op and you have to upgrade your system to run it. I have a perfictly good CD burner in my system and have NO plans on replacing it untill it goes bad. Why should I pull a part that works. Its like oh these new shoes will help you run better but first you need to replace your feet even though theres nothing wrong with them.

Well now that im done ranting feel free to jump all over me. But that is how im felling this morning.

Jim

The livecd has an "Install to hardrive" icon on the desktop.

I don't understand why people are saying there is no cd.

Once installed, if you can get internet connectivity, use yum or the gui package managers to install extra software

There is even a new tool to allow you to create your own distro discs, which is surely better than downloading 5 cds that may have superfluous apps

kgoess
2nd June 2007, 04:59 PM
If the dvd iso image is downloaded to your local machine, on a separate partition, you can install using that by burning the boot.iso image to a cd, booting from that, type 'linux askmethod' at the prompt and select to install from a hardrive, then point to the dvd iso image.

(To get the boot.iso image, mount the dvd iso using mount -o <dvd iso image> /mnt/dvd (create /mnt/dvd first), then look in /mnt/dvd/images)

Thanks, but man, it would have saved me half an hour of poking around if Fedora had mentioned this on the bittorrent page.

Note that the command is missing 'loop' and may need a '-t iso9660'

mount -o loop -t iso9660 <dvd iso image> /mnt/dvd

bowenmark
3rd June 2007, 04:13 AM
RHEL, or the CentOS respin that's free has a much longer release schedule. If you want to switch, this is a good time to do so because RHEL5 just came out (with it's free CentOS equivalent) which moves the package versions much closer to where Fedora was in your time frame.

The downside is that they have a long release horizon, and before RHEL6 comes out, you may well be wishing you had some of the useful features that will then be commonly available in Fedora. We ended up moving to the latest PostgreSQL for one of our products because the distributed release was so out of date. RHEL does security patches all along, but the feature set stays much more stable.
Thanks William, makes sense to me. This is a sub $500 PC work station and for the most part it does much the same thing day in and day out. Need to add a program to create/edit PDF's tho' and ran into RPM issues with PDFedit, but methinks if I just install it manually things should work.

I'm actually using Cent OS as a server elsewhere, noticed it has GNOME and KDE available and that's all one really needs to have everything for a decent workstation people can point and click on. Should be a good choice if I can't get my PDF issues resolved easily.

Will be reserving cutting edge software like Fedora to machines that need/can take advantage of the features in the future.