PDA

View Full Version : Weird bug found on F7

v00d00
1st June 2007, 05:52 AM
And before someone says go report it on bugzilla, the problem is bugzilla and the current version of firefox/seamonkey.

Whenever i got to bugzilla my cpu usage hits 99% for firefox/seamonkey, but if i browse away to say google it drops to 1-2%.

Furthermore when i try to use scrollbars on bugzilla they return back to the first item after being dragged.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Not to mention a few other bugs that i will report if i can ever get back on bugzilla without this bug killing my browser. Time to try opera again i guess.

Dan
1st June 2007, 06:01 AM
I think this is a bugzilla site issue. I was having the same trouble with FC6 and Firefox. (1.5.0.8)

Dan

bob
1st June 2007, 06:05 AM
Just a comment that I'm able to surf Bugzilla at normal speeds, no lag at all on Firefox 2.0.0.3 Fedora7. Haven't set up Java yet on Fedora7, wonder if that could have an impact?

v00d00
1st June 2007, 06:30 AM
Hi bob, im using 2.0.0.4, which is probably half the problem, but 2.0.0.3 has an annoyance where you can press enter while on certain phpBB versions and it will crash the browser, usually when posting PM's. So far the 2.0.0.3 error hasnt appeared, so i guess its one error after another. :)

I dont have java setup for the browsers. The only programs i have that use it have shell scripts that directly link to what they need, so there is no global requirement with it, it runs for maybe 4 programs. Besides their are so many java web bugs around i dont think i've used java in a browser for maybe 3-4 years.

Dan
1st June 2007, 06:36 AM
Hmmm.

Bob, try following the bug reporting wizard, and scrolling in the selection boxes. That's where I hung up.

Dan

bob
1st June 2007, 06:37 AM
I'm in the middle of a real messy project with the new install but I wonder if Gran Paradiso (FF3) would react the same way? I had it running on FC6 and it was excellent for everything I tried.

v00d00
1st June 2007, 07:07 AM
You can still get past the scrolling problem by typing in the first few letters of the app you are searching for then using arrow keys to find it. But the 99% cpu usage is what kills it for me. That is folding cycles disappearing into the air. So yes i wont be heading to bugzilla again, until they sort out the site or the browser (or both).

Pity they couldnt have written a bugzilla client interface that ran directly from fedora, so no need to mess around with web browsers. Maybe with F8.

Dan
1st June 2007, 07:08 AM
Ahhh!

I'm in the middle of a real messy project with the new install but I wonder if Gran Paradiso (FF3) would react the same way? I had it running on FC6 and it was excellent for everything I tried.

The racking applications ... With the flogging drivers!

Dan

bob
1st June 2007, 12:55 PM
Nah. I installed the KDE version to give it a try but soon decided that I missed Gnome apps too much and then did a groupinstall of Gnome and Xfce. Not the kind of thing you want to try in the middle of a release! So, by 2AM I had my system back to what I liked in Fedora6.

lmo
1st June 2007, 03:25 PM
links is a text client that doesn't need firefox

links http://www.bugzilla.com

Dan
1st June 2007, 03:52 PM
Nah. I installed the KDE version to give it a try but soon decided that I missed Gnome apps too much and then did a groupinstall of Gnome and Xfce. Not the kind of thing you want to try in the middle of a release! So, by 2AM I had my system back to what I liked in Fedora6. Well, you lasted longer than I did. About 0110 my face pitched into the keyboard. Finally got the DVD, but was way too tired to try to burn and install.

Still feel a bit like the floor won't sit still this morning.

So, now that you've had a half hour's sleep ... give with an assesment! whuttcha think of it? <..:p..>

Dan

bob
1st June 2007, 04:07 PM
Stable so far for me; no particular problems but I have a bunch of tweaking left to do. Not sure if I'll bother with setting up beryl/compiz since I only used it about a week last time. I understand that for the Live CD OpenOffice had to be dropped for space requirements, but that's one I will have to get back. Livna installed the kmods for my old Nvidia card without a glitch and my printer was instantly recognized, so it looks like the basics are all there. Boots quickly and apps open with at least the same speed as FC6.

I've had a chance to check out Gnome and nothing missing from the after-the-fact install, although I'm still searching for the 'gdmsetup' gui link. Must be there somewhere. Well, off to check out Xfce and see how that install went... Edit: (helps if you install gdm!!! :D ) Actually, since this was a KDE install, KDM's handling things. No problem with password-less login after all.

v00d00
1st June 2007, 05:04 PM
links is a text client that doesn't need firefox

links http://www.bugzilla.com

Hi Imo,

Im well aware of links and lynx, but its not really the point. If on the other hand the site was designed for a text browser, and was extremely friendly towards people who came along with that user agent, or maybe ran a different version of the site optimised for links, then i would use it. But have you ever tried browsing a site that was not designed for a text browser, it takes forever to do what would take 5 mins on firefox.

Nah. I installed the KDE version to give it a try but soon decided that I missed Gnome apps too much and then did a groupinstall of Gnome and Xfce. Not the kind of thing you want to try in the middle of a release! So, by 2AM I had my system back to what I liked in Fedora6.

Whats Gnome or KDE (apart from over sized bags of bloat, attempting to become windows xp)?

I only know Fluxbox and XFCE.

And i only use Fluxbox and the occasional XFCE app like xarchiver.

Nvidia driver seems to be stable on i386/686. On x86_64 it causes random crashes on my system, so i end up having to use the vesa driver. Was so happy when i got Planeshift and ET back up and running, but alas had no time to play them. That comes tonight. :)

JN4OldSchool
1st June 2007, 05:15 PM
Whats Gnome or KDE (apart from over sized bags of bloat, attempting to become windows xp)?

I only know Fluxbox and XFCE.

And i only use Fluxbox and the occasional XFCE app like xarchiver.

There is just something so inheritantly arrogant and geeky about that statement!

I like it :D

I wish Fedora would ship with an XFCE version. But I will want the gnome base anyway so it's no big deal on this computer.