PDA

View Full Version : azures KILL bandwidth

Wangberg
1st June 2007, 03:27 AM
whenever i start a torrent, my bandwidth is totally cut off to a stand still for all apps with the exception of azures.

i can't even check email or log on to pidgin.

any reason why azures is EATING my bandwidth to the point that all other internet functionality is crapped??

iamroot
1st June 2007, 03:44 AM
You might want to limit your upload speed. The default upload speed for azureus is unlimited.

kalaka
1st June 2007, 04:15 AM
How about you don't download stuff when you're doing work/checking you email?
Limiting the download+upload speed is a good idea too though.

Wangberg
1st June 2007, 04:17 AM
kalaka: impossible. i'm downloading F7, a 3 gig file....i can't not check email for an entire day because i'm downloading stuff.

i'll try the limits...

thanks fellas!

Scytale
1st June 2007, 04:21 AM
Yes Azureus defaults to unlimited upload speed, which absolutly kills your connection, my flat mate does it too me all the time I'm for-ever having to walk over to he's pc and turn the upload slider down to somewhere sane.

Wangberg
1st June 2007, 04:45 AM
doesn't seem to work....i brought the upload speed down to 5kb/s. Even when i get really slow connections (ie. 500 B/s UL) everything else is totally non-functional .

Scytale
1st June 2007, 04:50 AM
It takes a few minutes to 'scale down' I think I've always notcied a lag from when I moved the upload speed down to when the connection becomes usable again.

Yeah (5 Kb/s) is what I usually leave azureus on I still get download speeds of around (50kb/s). I think its a bug in azureus, even when no one is downloading the torrent off you, it still sucks up all your bandwidth.

Wangberg
1st June 2007, 04:52 AM
sytale....thanks man....it's semes to be working a little better. i'm going to sleep now, so hopefully f7 will be finished inthe morning :D

Scytale
1st June 2007, 05:00 AM
Yeah good luck I'm posting this from work, I'm going to have to wait till i get home to start downloading the torrent (which will be able 3 hours from now :/), then at least I've got all weekend to mess around with a new installation.

Flyboy917
1st June 2007, 05:11 AM
whenever i start a torrent, my bandwidth is totally cut off to a stand still for all apps with the exception of azures.

i can't even check email or log on to pidgin.

any reason why azures is EATING my bandwidth to the point that all other internet functionality is crapped??

Concur, Azureus doesn't completely kill other online apps, but slows them down to near offline. And yes, I have all my ports and router set up to "good ones".

marko
1st June 2007, 05:28 AM
What works for me is to right click the lower right corner of azureus to get the speed throttle menu for down and upload. I pick a speed such that the DSL is maybe 70% bit torrent.
Since I have 3MBit DSL, bit torrent can sometimes get to 300kB/sec so 200 or so
leaves plenty. Don't forget to set the upload rate to a sensible speed because
starving the up side will also slow your other apps .

Scytale
1st June 2007, 05:32 AM
lucky I've only got 512 kb/s DSL