PDA

View Full Version : confused with F7 release

metalworm
1st June 2007, 02:51 AM
Hello, it is a big surprise that make me confuse when trying to download F7. So i have some questions:
1/ Why F7 i386 just around 2.7GB ~ 2.8GB, it is smaller than previous versions, and F7 i86_64 is up to 3.4 or 3.8GB? So it this F7 i386 is the right release or the live DVD?
2/ I just see the EPEL on the download page, what is it?
3/ Why do we have the different in size of F7 i386 and F7i86_64?
Thanks.

Wangberg
1st June 2007, 03:24 AM
in addition to his confusion, i'm also confused with the torrent site (http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/)....there is a live CD for i686 and live DVD for i386. Does the live CD have less packages available? Why not an i686 live DVD ?

this may sound like a stupid question...but what is the real difference? there can't be a 2 gig difference in arch. for different systems. which should i use ?

William Haller
1st June 2007, 03:42 AM
The DVD's include vastly more packages than any of the live CDs. The live CDs are meant for demonstration purposes. The DVDs are full systems. For some reason this release didn't initially include a full CD set which is usually 5 to 6 CDs (equivalent to the DVD). Not a problem at home, but we have a lot of servers that are CD based. Network installs are an option.

The reason the x86_64 is larger is that many of its packages are in both a 32-bit and x86_64 bit version and both are provided. There are also physical size differences in a 64-bit versus a 32-bit RPM, i suspect.

The size may be smaller than earlier FC variants because they might have pushed more packages that were normally distributed to Extras now that they are supposedly combined into one repo.

bob
1st June 2007, 03:46 AM
One big difference in size is that OpenOffice is not included in the Live CD. I've installed the KDE version off the Live CD and have Koffice instead.

metalworm
1st June 2007, 03:51 AM
How about my question??? :(?

Scytale
1st June 2007, 04:18 AM
my guess would be that the i386 is smaller then the 64bit version because the 64 bit packages take up more room.

If your a new user I'd reccomend sticking with the i386 version.

metalworm
1st June 2007, 04:25 AM
So how about this F7 i386 DVD size is just 2.7GB, much smaller than previous FC?

Scytale
1st June 2007, 04:28 AM
It's probably to do with the number of packages available on the DVD, the pacvkages included changed with each version of Fedora so I wouldn't stress out about it.

metalworm
1st June 2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks. How about EPEL? What is it?

RahulSundaram
1st June 2007, 07:48 AM
Hello, it is a big surprise that make me confuse when trying to download F7. So i have some questions:
1/ Why F7 i386 just around 2.7GB ~ 2.8GB, it is smaller than previous versions, and F7 i86_64 is up to 3.4 or 3.8GB? So it this F7 i386 is the right release or the live DVD?
2/ I just see the EPEL on the download page, what is it?
3/ Why do we have the different in size of F7 i386 and F7i86_64?
Thanks.

1) Different set of packages. x86_64 versions are a bigger size due to multilib. multi lib allows 32-bit packages to be combined with 64-bit packages for compatibility reasons

2) See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

3) Again, due to multilib.

pikul
1st June 2007, 08:36 AM
The DVD's include vastly more packages than any of the live CDs. The live CDs are meant for demonstration purposes. The DVDs are full systems. For some reason this release didn't initially include a full CD set which is usually 5 to 6 CDs (equivalent to the DVD). Not a problem at home, but we have a lot of servers that are CD based. Network installs are an option.

The reason the x86_64 is larger is that many of its packages are in both a 32-bit and x86_64 bit version and both are provided. There are also physical size differences in a 64-bit versus a 32-bit RPM, i suspect.

The size may be smaller than earlier FC variants because they might have pushed more packages that were normally distributed to Extras now that they are supposedly combined into one repo.

You can install Fedora 7 from a live cd to your hardisk, i did it with i686 live cd, im actually posting from my new installation.