PDA

View Full Version : Headless Keyboardless

cr22rc
1st June 2007, 12:01 AM
Looking at fedora 7 and it's virtualization feature is very exciting. I'm even contemplating building a new system now that would run kvm. I tried googling and some searches but didn't see a straight answer on what support for headless / monitorless support. Basically if I do this I want to set it somewhere and use VNC type access. Not into gaming I've actually used VNC via wireless and seems quite good for my needs. Having a local keyboard is not such a big deal ... but could I get away without a video card installed? I seen there is some type of install via network boot and monitor it elsewhere, is that correct?

v00d00
1st June 2007, 05:58 AM
Depends if your motherboard has onboard graphics. If it does your all ready for the headless node experience.

Basically you will be looking to do an automated install, maybe a la kickstart. Then use ssh to login and administrate on the node.

If you wanted to take it further, then look into LTSP. Imagine having a headless node without a hard drive, or a cdrom, etc, that is aimed more at producing raw power for something. A lot of the folding@home crowd run similar setups so they can use one machine as a server and just connect new nodes to the server via network cable and remote boot the operating system over the network. Therefore each node uses the least amount of power required, while storage is handled via NFS.

JordanN
1st June 2007, 09:13 AM
My usual strategy is to do the install and then remove what I don't need (making sure that the BIOS is set to boot with a keyboard present).

cr22rc
1st June 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks all. Basically you've covered what I needed. Just my computer room is filling up :D And plus heat and noise. Nice to move in another room. have gigbyte lan running around. I'm quite happy with VNCing it.