PDA

View Full Version : What spins can I get?

ghell
31st May 2007, 10:42 PM
I had been looking forward to some of the spins that were listed on wikipedia. I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable website on the world (hell, a few days ago it said the release had been pushed back a week from its original date of 31, not only this but a few days before that it said 24, which was correct until someone obviously changed the supposed original release date to 31) but it says there are Live, Prime, KDE and Everything spins. There seem to be Live, Live (KDE) and Everything but that really isn't the same as what wikipedia says. As it is 31 may today, I am wondering if any more will be released.

Although this was not one of the listed spins anyway, really I would like to obtain or make a minimal possible spin [not just for x86, i use 64bit] (text based install and run, bash, yum, dmraid, vim, common drivers etc .. enough to make it "just work" on most of systems) that I can just add the things I need to. It is quite hard to find a stable and decent distro that starts with just enough to get it to work for most systems but can be added to with all the latest and greatest software as the user needs it. I was hoping F7 spins would be the solutions to my misery.

I tried removing packages from FC6 so that the stuff I didn't want wasn't installed, but although I only removed the things I knew weren't too important, it just made it very unstable. I tried using smaller distros like ubuntu but a lot of stuff I liked is completely lacking (like decent raid support out of the box) and a lot of the bundled software was cut down versions (eg vim) that only needed redownloading anyway.

bob
31st May 2007, 11:49 PM
Check the options here: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html

ghell
1st June 2007, 10:04 AM
I did actually know about that page (how else would I know what the currently released spins are?), it doesn't answer any of my questions though.

bob
1st June 2007, 12:38 PM
Arrrgghhh! Sorry about that. I pasted the link from another post I was answering. I think this is the one that might give you some details: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

RahulSundaram
1st June 2007, 12:53 PM
I had been looking forward to some of the spins that were listed on wikipedia. I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable website on the world (hell, a few days ago it said the release had been pushed back a week from its original date of 31, not only this but a few days before that it said 24, which was correct until someone obviously changed the supposed original release date to 31) but it says there are Live, Prime, KDE and Everything spins. There seem to be Live, Live (KDE) and Everything but that really isn't the same as what wikipedia says. As it is 31 may today, I am wondering if any more will be released.

Although this was not one of the listed spins anyway, really I would like to obtain or make a minimal possible spin [not just for x86, i use 64bit] (text based install and run, bash, yum, dmraid, vim, common drivers etc .. enough to make it "just work" on most of systems) that I can just add the things I need to. It is quite hard to find a stable and decent distro that starts with just enough to get it to work for most systems but can be added to with all the latest and greatest software as the user needs it. I was hoping F7 spins would be the solutions to my misery.

I tried removing packages from FC6 so that the stuff I didn't want wasn't installed, but although I only removed the things I knew weren't too important, it just made it very unstable. I tried using smaller distros like ubuntu but a lot of stuff I liked is completely lacking (like decent raid support out of the box) and a lot of the bundled software was cut down versions (eg vim) that only needed redownloading anyway.

I am not sure what your use case is but le me explain the thinking behind the current set of spins, installation choices and hopefully you can figure out the right one for you

Network installation - Around 10 MB boot.iso image which you can boot and do a network installation via http/ftp/nfs. Ideal if you have a high bandwidth connection and want to tweak more.

Regular around 3 GB "Fedora" DVD spin which is similar to the older Fedora Core releases. A subset of the repository for desktop/workstation/servers.

Installable Live images - GNOME and KDE based installationable live images which is good for desktop users.

Kickstart for automated installations for large deployments with customizations.

I am going to work on content which explains the different spins which would be linke from the get fedora page if no one gets around to doing it before me as I have sugged before.

ghell
3rd June 2007, 06:15 PM
Yes, I had just hoped the spins were for people in different situations. As it stands spins are a huge disappointment for me because there seems to be nothing new in them.

There was a lot of emphasis on F7 being all about spins but it seems that the only difference from FC6 is that the live cd was released on the same day as the main dvd and there is an additional KDE live CD.

Thanks for the link Bob. I will have to make my own minimal spins and work out exactly what I need to get a minimal stable installation, which will probably end in disaster as with my FC6 installation in which I removed everything I shouldn't have needed (about 50% of the preselected modules) rather than just adding what I did want. I'm not very good at selecting only the packages needed without making it very unstable. I would have thought minimal installations would be quite popular and there would be someone or some project that releases minimal versions of fedora (I think I have seen something like this a long time ago but googling didn't reveal much) does anyone know of anything like this?

I have used kickstart and network installs before in older versions of fedora (I had to use a network install to install it to a USB drive on a laptop that didn't support usb booting but I could put grub for ntloader on its windows boot a while ago) just by putting grub, a kernel and an initrd from a ftp site on a boot partition and selecting to load it from the network rather than the CD/DVD when it informed me that there was no installation media present.

RahulSundaram
3rd June 2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, I had just hoped the spins were for people in different situations. As it stands spins are a huge disappointment for me because there seems to be nothing new in them.

There was a lot of emphasis on F7 being all about spins but it seems that the only difference from FC6 is that the live cd was released on the same day as the main dvd and there is an additional KDE live CD.

Thanks for the link Bob. I will have to make my own minimal spins and work out exactly what I need to get a minimal stable installation, which will probably end in disaster as with my FC6 installation in which I removed everything I shouldn't have needed (about 50% of the preselected modules) rather than just adding what I did want. I'm not very good at selecting only the packages needed without making it very unstable. I would have thought minimal installations would be quite popular and there would be someone or some project that releases minimal versions of fedora (I think I have seen something like this a long time ago but googling didn't reveal much) does anyone know of anything like this?

I have used kickstart and network installs before in older versions of fedora (I had to use a network install to install it to a USB drive on a laptop that didn't support usb booting but I could put grub for ntloader on its windows boot a while ago) just by putting grub, a kernel and an initrd from a ftp site on a boot partition and selecting to load it from the network rather than the CD/DVD when it informed me that there was no installation media present.

Creating your own spins can be a good thing. There is the understanding within the project that the different spins the project releases officially probably won't satisfy everyone's needs and hence the emphasis on spins are more about creating your own one.

See the following article which explains the process:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/