PDA

View Full Version : screen buffer?

stopnowgo
31st May 2007, 10:22 PM
When I issue a command that has a large amount of output that scrolls down my terminal screen I want to be able to scroll back up and view it. I know of the | more, i think, that lets you manually move to the end of the output. I just cant think of the command that allows me to change the buffer size. any tips appreciated.

pompeiisneaks
31st May 2007, 10:28 PM
I think you're talking about the Terminal emulator's buffer, and that would be set depending on the emulator, are you using Gnome-terminal? if so you set that in the Profiles where you set the scrollback size and or number of lines. Does that help?

~Phil

sideways
31st May 2007, 10:48 PM
In gnome-terminal, Edit->Current Profile->Scrolling

In a terminal console, the default vga buffer is quite small, you use shift+page_up to scrollback

To make it larger, enable a framebuffer console by adding vga=0x31B or vga=0x318 (for 1280x1024 or 1024x768 mode respectively) to the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf, and also add this option, specifying the buffer size in K (the default is 32K i think)

fbcon=scrollback:<n>K

and reboot.

eg, to make it 4 times bigger use fbcon=scrollback:128K

for other vga modes see section 5.3 here (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html)

stopnowgo
1st June 2007, 03:32 PM
I changed some setting in putty that i think will work for me. I will also try those recommendations. Thanks for the help.