PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 images are DVD only?!

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 05:50 PM
is there any particular reason the Fedora 7 images are only offered on DVD... seeing as i do not have a DVD burner on my laptop or have one readily available to me... this is slightly inconvenient... :confused:

civilwarlord
31st May 2007, 05:59 PM
Check out: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ . There are CD versions too.

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:02 PM

404 CD versions not found.... (i've had too many problems with "Live CD" versions also... definitely not the makings of a "daily driver operating system"

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:07 PM
Check out: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ . There are CD versions too.Hey!

I followed your thread to the Torrent to download the DVD. It's my first time....do I just say "download to disk" and let it torrent away, or is there more to it than that?

I'm using Feisty at the moment and I have a DVD burner. thanks for the link. Any help appreciated.... :) All the best!!

omg! I just noticed it's my first post on the Fedora forum? Tut, tut! I didn't go and introduce myself.............must be all the exitement! :)

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:10 PM
Hey!

I followed your thread to the Torrent to download the DVD. It's my first time....do I just say "download to disk" and let it torrent away, or is there more to it than that?

I'm using Feisty at the moment and I have a DVD burner. thanks for the link. Any help appreciated.... :) All the best!!

yup... it's just that simple...

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:14 PM
yup... it's just that simple... That is Tip Top! Just the ticket for a novice like me. Many thanks!! :)

civilwarlord
31st May 2007, 06:16 PM
I checked all the CD version links, they work. I think you can install the live cd to hard drive, but not sure. When I tried out the KDE live cd before, it worked ok.

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey HMSSO13! (omg, what a username???)

It's offering me the options to "Open with Bittorent" or "Save to disk?" I really don't want to overwrite my present OS: Should I go with open with..or...save to disk?

Thanks again!!! :)

Dan
31st May 2007, 06:23 PM
Hi, HMSS013.

The re-spun rawhide liveCD works just fine here, and I believe it can be used to do an install, then YUM or Pirut or Yumex can be used to build the system up to personal specs.

Hi. ed-j.

Ayup. I'm new to it, but from what I've been able to gather, the torrent is just that simple. However, after you've gotten your download, methinks it's a very good thing to "seed" and share some bandwidth for the next guy.

I'm using Bittorrent, and it seems fairly intuitive to use. However, if anyone can bork a simple project ... ! <.:p..>

Dan

Dan
31st May 2007, 06:29 PM
"Open with Bittorrent"

It'll start the download then. You won't bork the current system. Just DL the files.

bman
31st May 2007, 06:32 PM

It's offering me the options to "Open with Bittorent" or "Save to disk?" I really don't want to overwrite my present OS: Should I go with open with..or...save to disk?

Bittorent uses the .torrent file to download the file. You don't download directly from the site, you download from other bittorrent users. Just press Open with Bittorrent and it should start downloading. These aren't really fedora questions, they're bittorrent questions!

Edit: It doesn't install directly from that image, you must burn it to disc first and then install like any other OS. Theres no chance of it overwriting your current OS.

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:33 PM
I checked all the CD version links, they work. I think you can install the live cd to hard drive, but not sure. When I tried out the KDE live cd before, it worked ok.

i appreciate the help....and i have heard that you can install the 'Live CD' to the hard drive before... i have tried this on numerous occasions and have never actually had it work. Also, (using Fedora Core 6) i refer to the CD's for software changes when i do not have the internet redily available. For these and many other reasons the DVD image or a 'complete' set of Binary CD's is a must have. I am still curious as to why they are not offered for this release. :(

HMSS013
31st May 2007, 06:36 PM

lol... no worries... 'save to disk' only stores the torrents tracker file anywhere you chose on your hard drive... either choice will be ok... but 'Open with Bittorrent' will start the download now...

hammel
31st May 2007, 06:43 PM
Where are the CD-images?

alfick3
31st May 2007, 06:48 PM

I just went to this link, and the only CD versions are live CD's. I don't want this either. I want the 5 (or however many CD's for F7) disk ISO images so I can upgrade my FC5 via CD. My laptop has a DVD/CD-R combo, so I could install from DVD, but I can't burn the image. What do we older hardware people do?

Al

ed-j
31st May 2007, 06:51 PM
Hi. ed-j.

Ayup. I'm new to it, but from what I've been able to gather, the torrent is just that simple. However, after you've gotten your download, methinks it's a very good thing to "seed" and share some bandwidth for the next guy.

I'm using Bittorrent, and it seems fairly intuitive to use. However, if anyone can bork a simple project ... ! <...>

Dan Thanks Dan!

It's the "seed" word that did it? I'm looking at 0% of Fedora-7-x86_64......................and I was just about to say "aaaarrrggghhh.....nowts happening!" when my Gizmo tells me I've got a download between 3 and 6KB/s, time elapsed=c8mins, time remaining..........about 9 days?=#I=|8-o*/*=Boing! ( That was my brain momentarily refusing a little fundamental reality. )

Well, thank god for the Royal Mail !

Do you think, in your busy schedule, you could possibly give me just the "hairs breadth" of an explanation of what I'm actually engaged in here? I mean, I don't think I can stay awake for 9 days (just gone up to 13............faint) and I can sincerely praise the Stars that I'm not on pay-as-you-go. However. I like the idea that I can somehow share my bandwidth..............hmmmm?

Any explanation will surely set me on the path to more explanations! Many thanks!!! :)

ed-j........... http://www.modfree.org/ (just gone up to 15 days.......insane whimper? )

ed-j
31st May 2007, 07:22 PM
Bittorent uses the .torrent file to download the file. You don't download directly from the site, you download from other bittorrent users. Just press Open with Bittorrent and it should start downloading. These aren't really fedora questions, they're bittorrent questions!

Edit: It doesn't install directly from that image, you must burn it to disc first and then install like any other OS. Theres no chance of it overwriting your current OS.Thank you to the emerald Isle!

I'm not so happy about having my machine on all night: I have "Open, Resume and Stop" buttons on the downloader. Could you please give me some advice on either switching it Off/On and/or something else? Much appreciated! :)

edit* back later. Thanks!

JordanN
31st May 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks Dan!

It's the "seed" word that did it? I'm looking at 0% of Fedora-7-x86_64......................and I was just about to say "aaaarrrggghhh.....nowts happening!" when my Gizmo tells me I've got a download between 3 and 6KB/s, time elapsed=c8mins, time remaining..........about 9 days?=#I=|8-o*/*=Boing! ( That was my brain momentarily refusing a little fundamental reality. )

Well, thank god for the Royal Mail !

Do you think, in your busy schedule, you could possibly give me just the "hairs breadth" of an explanation of what I'm actually engaged in here? I mean, I don't think I can stay awake for 9 days (just gone up to 13............faint) and I can sincerely praise the Stars that I'm not on pay-as-you-go. However. I like the idea that I can somehow share my bandwidth..............hmmmm?

Any explanation will surely set me on the path to more explanations! Many thanks!!! :)

ed-j........... http://www.modfree.org/ (just gone up to 15 days.......insane whimper? )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

ed-j
1st June 2007, 12:33 AM
Hey jordanN !

I've been doing my best to read some of the Wiki link. Pretty phenomenal stuff really! ( I am presuming you have read so far as to understand that I'm a Novice?)

Does this mean that I can set a simultaneous upload at the same time as downloading, or do I have to wait until my download is complete before I can become a "seed?"

edit* I've looked at the Upload tab and I appear to be uploading about 8 x more than I'm downloading?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the link! :-)

multescugeorge@
1st June 2007, 07:15 AM
When you don't have the download finished you are a "peer", you help distribute chunks of the data and also download what you still need.
After you finish the download, you become a "seed", and only upload.
Also, different download/upload speeds may be caused by your internet connection.

contraculto
1st June 2007, 08:06 AM
ed:

i almost always upload more than i download, that's just normal bittorrent behaviour, so don't worry about it. think you must have read about it but the way the system works is that you upload and download at the same time, even if you only have small pieces of the files. and the terminology is imple:

seed: has the full thing downloaded on their machines and only uploads (nothing to download)

leech: is at the same time downloading and uploading.

the magic of distributing files between users without a central server. you only download from other guys and they get stuff from you. =)

if you need any help send me a priv a and we can talk over msn/gtalk/skype ;)

ed-j
1st June 2007, 08:51 AM
Hey rod!

I have read a little, put that together with the experience and what I now know from other members and yes, I figured out that I was DLing/UPling together.

In the beginning, the DL was as low as 0.5KBs upto 10KBs, and the UL was as low as 5KBs upto 40KBs. 11/12 hrs into the DL:

DL = 3 to 500KBs UL = 30 to 40KBs DL finished roughly 13 hrs, UL still @ 35 to 45KBs. I have no Cap on the number of Users ( peers ) and no limit on the UL Rate. ( I decided not to switch the UL off. ) This is ok for today, then I have to check how that effects my ISP charges ( I don't have unlimited DL's so I presume the UL's will be the same: The DL will cost me 3.00 but the UL could cost me 10. My little ( read very large ) bit to say thanks for Fedora! :) )

Q's for you:

What do I do if I need to turn the UL off and back on again?

You use the word leech? Is this the same as peer?

Are you sure that the "Bon Accorde" of Torrent is to give more than you take? Who makes the rules about this?

Thanks for your help! -)-(- :-)

JordanN
1st June 2007, 09:04 AM
Usually, your upload is determined by your download. In other words, if you want to download really fast, they expect you to be willing to upload really fast. This was a design principle, because if everyone insisted on mooching, the concept of bittorrent simply wouldn't work.

When you start Bittorrent, it checks a directory to see if all the pieces of the target file are present, if they are, then it goes into seed mode. Otherwise, it contacts the tracker to see how to go about finding the missing pieces.

ed-j
1st June 2007, 09:17 AM
Spot on! Thank you jordanN!

More Q's: So if I decided at any time that I can afford to be generous, all I do is connect to the torrent again and I will be a seed?

Also, if I connect to the torrent and there are new packages for the "target" ( In this case Fedora 7 ) I can contribute a seed to the torrent at the same time as getting my upgrade?

Thanks again! :)

JordanN
1st June 2007, 09:23 AM
No, the ISO is just the installation image, intended to be burned to a DVD. Upgrades will have nothing to do with it.

Also, Bittorrent is only useful when there are a significant number of people trying to download a particular file at the same time. After a month, I would say just delete the file, as the need for seeds will be long past.

Upgrades are generally done via "old-fashioned" download, as there is usually less concurrent demand.

PeTzZz
1st June 2007, 11:41 AM
I merged this thread with this one (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=800700) to prevent separated talk about the same thing.

Please continue in the new thread (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156330).