PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mount DOS-formatted floppy

linuxgnubee
31st May 2007, 01:37 PM
Whether I try to do it through command line or the GUI, I get an error message saying something like, 'unable to mount floppy - no filesystem' or 'please specify a file system first' or 'unable to recognize something-or-other.'

I forget what prompted me to look in /etc/fstab, but I did and I don't see an entry for /dev/fd0 ...

So, I'm thinking before Linux can recognize a floppy, its file system, and its contents, I need to tell /etc/fstab what to look for, yes? :eek:

Thank you much!!

tashirosgt
31st May 2007, 04:20 PM
If you have mtools installed you can try dos-like commands such as:
mdir A:
In the olden days the floppy would be configured in /etc/fstab and you can still do things this way.

On a redhat enterprise 4 machine, where I am now sitting the line in /etc/fstab says:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

As I understand the modern redhat approach, the removable media is now configured in a deskstop manager dependent way instead of with /etc/fstab entries. I don't know how this configuration is done. Can someone refer us to some documentation for how to do it in gnome?

RupertPupkin
31st May 2007, 04:28 PM
To mount the floppy on the mount point /mnt/floppy (create if it does not exist), do this as root:
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

When you're ready to eject the floppy, unmount it first:
umount /mnt/floppy