PDA

View Full Version : i can't open my mp3 files!

Dhia
31st May 2007, 10:43 AM
I am new on linux , my freind told me that i should try fedora core 2 and this was what i did. Every think worked fine until i tried to listen to my music that have .mp3 as extension.
The problem was that din't can open them... I found on internet some programs that can open mp3 files . But the 2nd problem was to install them! Their extension is .rpm ... but i cant install them ... Can give me a solution?

sideways
31st May 2007, 11:24 AM
Are you trying to be funny? ;)

If not, log in as root, change to the directory where the rpms are saved and type

rpm -Uhv *.rpm

xmms, and xmms-mp3 rpms should be enough

bob
31st May 2007, 11:27 AM
Dhia, you have several problems. First of all, Fedora7 is being released today. Fedora2 is so old that there is no active support for it anymore. Please consider upgrading if at all possible.

Then, you should understand that Fedora is a distro that is Free & Open Source. What that means is that there are many 'codecs' that are not included in the installation of Fedora, including support for mp3's. That's all explained here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-258e4efff9879474c4725667cc557e8a0ea3fd98 So, you will have to use a 3rd. party repository to add that support. If you look at the top of the Forum page, you'll see a link for FedoraFAQ, which can help you set up mp3's and much, much more.

Again, please consider upgrading to Fedora6 or Fedora7 and don't waste time with Fedora Core 2 if you don't absolutely have to.

jtang613
31st May 2007, 01:00 PM
Another potential problem that Dhia may experience is resistance from the community to help someone who can't be bothered to search the forum or read the FAQ.

But as Bob said, Dhia should certainly consider an upgrade to Fedora 7, since it is being released today.

m2c,
Jason

JN4OldSchool
31st May 2007, 01:03 PM
where did you get fedora core 2? Surely you didnt download it?

d3viant
31st May 2007, 01:03 PM
Dhia - as a beginner to Fedora, I would recommend you *thoroughly* read www.fedorafaq.org - it will tell you what Linux is all about and how to get commonly used things working (the faq's instructions refer to Fedora Core 6 at the moment, so it would probably be easier if you upgraded to that version)

Dhia
31st May 2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you for answering me .. & for advising me but i don't think that my computer can support fedora7 because i've only :
* amd k6 3d processeur with 499mhz speed and 64ko cache
* 64 mo ram
* 8 mo graphic memory
* 80 Go hard drive free space
----------------
And about "where i find fedora core2 " i downloaded it from " http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/iso/ "
------------------------
Finally i din't anderstood your reply Mr sideways

pompeiisneaks
31st May 2007, 05:45 PM
Dhia,

One of the great things about Linux, is that its not like some other operating systems, its much less resource dependent. I don't think that Fedora 6 is any more resource dependent that Fedora 2 was. You may need a bit more ram, but I still think it will work great for you. If you do want to use Fedora 2 still you can install an mp3 codec via rpm but newer versions are much more user friendly and you'll have an easier time figuring it all out.

~Phil

31st May 2007, 06:29 PM
yes, using linux, with a light weight "X" shell will be fine on that specs.

XFCE4 is a nice lightweight shell that should run fine on your spec machine.

i was running XFCE4 Within "Dam Small Linux" on a pentium 166, 64mg ram S3 Verge graphics card :P

A.Serbinski
31st May 2007, 06:41 PM
We've been having a problem with some of the recent fedora kernels on K6 chips. I would stay with FC5 or lower for a K6. Also, add some ram. Its CHEAP.

Dhia
31st May 2007, 08:02 PM
ok Mr A.serbinski , I'll try but i don't want to change any thing in my computer ... I want to keep it original!

A.Serbinski
31st May 2007, 11:20 PM
Why would you want to keep it "original" when you can make it 1000 times better for $15? Its not a classic car, its a fairly basic computer.