PDA

View Full Version : Inscrutable X problem

business.kid
30th May 2007, 06:17 PM
Hi folks, I have fc5 here. X worked fine yesterday. Not happening today, which is actually a major pain (If you don't believe me, come here in lynx!!)
No errors in Xorg.0.log; No disk problems; Checked and fiddled with Xorg.conf
diffed it with 'known good' conf files, etc. No joy. Memory, disk space or swap
not at issue. No recent update. It dies after complaining about
font types being registered already, where a good logfile
shows a fail on acpi, and then opens apm. startx > file 2>&1
gives me nothing extra. Onscreen I have the 'X' for the mouse
(which moves) without ever seeing the pointer. There it sits.
It has chosen video modes, etc, and Xorg.0.log stops just after
adding keyboard & mouse, followed by the font complaints; xfs is running.
I'm going off to run yum erase on the video driver, followed by yum install. And ideas welcome. Buisness.kid

brunson
30th May 2007, 06:31 PM
Onscreen I have the 'X' for the mouse
(which moves) without ever seeing the pointer. There it sits.
That is X (get it, X windows, X cursor), so X is working. Your problem seems to be with Gnome not starting. I'm not sure how to debug that off the top of my head, I'm not that into Gnome. Check your default runlevel, are you at init 5?

But, here's a fun thing to do... Start X like you say you did and when you get the X cursor use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get over to a different virtual console. Log in as the same user you started X with, then do:

export DISPLAY=:0
xterm &

Then switch back to X using Ctrl-Alt-F7 or F8. Do you have an xterm?

Nothing you can do there, but seeing your fundamental misunderstanding of what X does, I thought it'd be interesting. X allows clients to display on a graphical server instance, it does not provide menus or window dressings, that's the responsibility of the window manager.

Speaking of which, go back to your F2 console and run "metacity &".

business.kid
30th May 2007, 06:32 PM
Got mzself sorted folks.
It was some halfassed sound script in -etc-X11-sinit-xinitrc.d that was silentlz throwing an error and barfing. Seems like a good place to clean out iof zou get something like this.

business.kid
30th May 2007, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=brunson]That is X (get it, X windows, X cursor), so X is working. Your problem seems to be with Gnome not starting. I'm not sure how to debug that off the top of my head, I'm not that into Gnome. Check your default runlevel, are you at init 5?

Hi, you are fast on the keyboard. $§"!, z and y are swapped on this keyboard. What I actually had to debug was the 200 scripts Red Hat runs while starting X or gnome

But, here's a fun thing to do... Start X like you say you did and when you get the X cursor use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get over to a different virtual console. Log in as the same user you started X with, then do:

export DISPLAY=:0
xterm &

Then switch back to X using Ctrl-Alt-F7 or F8. Do you have an xterm?

Yeah, it will come up. I would have to reinsert the halfassed script

Nothing you can do there, but seeing your fundamental misunderstanding of what X does,
I really understand that X is the server, and the window manager is the client, and mz kezboard is a major pita. this is a smiley Φί= get my drift?