PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing JAVA

joegumbo
30th May 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi,
I'm using JDK1.6.0_01 on FC6. Byt default JDK installed to /usr/java. I edited /home/joegumbo/.bashrc and /etc/profile.d as root to point to this new jdk. Yesterday while applying updates to FC6, at the end I received a message at the end of the update stating "Cleaning up JAVA." Then, jdk1.6.0_01 was gone. In fact, so was /usr/java. So, Sun's jdk was removed and I was rolled back to the open source java 1.4.? that was preloaded on FC6. This was no biggie, I just reinstalled jdk1.6.0_01 and all was right again. But, is there a way to prevent Sun's jdk from getting erased every time I update?

I thought about relocating the /java folder to another directory and trying it there. But, in the /usr/java directory, three folders were created: default, jdk1.6.0_01, and latest. All have jdk1.6.0_01 in them. So, since this is where Sun wants to install JAVA by default, the next time I upgrade to the newest version, it should automatically install to the "latest" folder (I think).

Thanks,
-Joe G.

theforest
30th May 2007, 06:01 PM
You could install Suns java using the .bin file instead of the rpm and install it wherever you like. I Install it into /opt/apps/ and rename the directory to java; /opt/apps/java. Nothing will bother it there.

joegumbo
30th May 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi theforest!

Thank you for the tip.

-Joe