PDA

View Full Version : LVM drives - Backup utility?

bkochis
30th May 2007, 03:24 PM
All,
I installed FC6 and took all of the defaults including Volume Manager. I am a Windows engineer by trade but am running FC6 at home. I am hosting my own E-commerce website (www.b4coins.com).

What I need is a backup solution that I can use to FULLY recover a working system in case of virus, dead drive, etc. I currently have less than 20Gb of data and have no problems with doing it all to DVD.

When this machine was Widnows I had a Seagate 'one touch' backup drive installed. I have not figured out how to make it function again. The software does not support Linux.

I am not opening this post to have the LVM versus plain drive argument, so please don't start it here :D

Thanks in advance, Bob

SlowJet
30th May 2007, 03:50 PM
To backup data lv on an LVM pv-vg set you need either
1. To make a snapshot lv of the original lv so that the data can be copied while the lv is mounted.
(the backup tar or star is then used against the snapshot. When done the snapshot is removed.
recovery is untar to the recreated lv, which implies you much recreate the pv-vg, the lv and format it, which implies you need a running system with LVM tools and mk2fs tools.)

2. For system lv's , you need to reinstall a base system with the lvm and mk2fs tools, then boot up into another system that has the LVM and mk2fs tools , then vgchange -a y to activate the vg, then mount it as a vg-lv, the recover it as if it were data.

3. It is presumptuous of you to assume that the very first time you install a default system it will be ready to work like a super production server without any planning for these needs.

Everyone is in the same boat, LVM is more complex, and recovery of the system areas are even more complex.
And Fedora tool sets are more advaced versions that other disrto's so you need to use only the Fedora version you are running. This makes it even more complex as it is short lived.

I suggest RHEL 5 as it will be round for a few years.

SJ

bkochis
31st May 2007, 07:26 PM
To backup data lv on an LVM pv-vg set you need either
1. To make a snapshot lv of the original lv so that the data can be copied while the lv is mounted.
(the backup tar or star is then used against the snapshot. When done the snapshot is removed.
recovery is untar to the recreated lv, which implies you much recreate the pv-vg, the lv and format it, which implies you need a running system with LVM tools and mk2fs tools.)

2. For system lv's , you need to reinstall a base system with the lvm and mk2fs tools, then boot up into another system that has the LVM and mk2fs tools , then vgchange -a y to activate the vg, then mount it as a vg-lv, the recover it as if it were data.

3. It is presumptuous of you to assume that the very first time you install a default system it will be ready to work like a super production server without any planning for these needs.

Everyone is in the same boat, LVM is more complex, and recovery of the system areas are even more complex.
And Fedora tool sets are more advaced versions that other disrto's so you need to use only the Fedora version you are running. This makes it even more complex as it is short lived.

I suggest RHEL 5 as it will be round for a few years.

SJ
Thanks for the info. I was not presumtious about this system, and it's capabilities. I was actually wondering if there were any utilities available to perform this work. I have this system setup as required and I will NOT be upgrading it ever.

I am a little confused about your statement that Fedora is short lived though. I can still get updates and download software from various sources for older releases FC2 for instance.

SlowJet
31st May 2007, 07:44 PM
:)

ok

SJ