PDA

View Full Version : best way to install from source

beyond-it
30th May 2007, 03:09 PM
Hi ppl,

Since a couple a days i have rented a dedicated server with FC4 on it and coming from a gentoo background this was quite a shock :)

One of the things i'm not sure of is the best way to set configure options for packages. I have some packages (e.g. PHP) which i need with some specific configure options. Of course i could simply compile it manually (./configure, make, make install), but i'd rather do it in some FC-way. Doing it manually also prevents me from easy upgrading etc..

I'm quite sure there has to be a standardized way to do stuff like this.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

markkuk
30th May 2007, 03:43 PM
Fedora isn't a source-based distro like Gentoo, so normally you don't install anything from source. The FC way is to use yum (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/) or one of its GUI front-ends like pirut or yumex.
PS. didn't you know FC4 is obsolete and unmaintained? The first thing you should do is update to Fedora 7 as it gets released tomorrow.

SlowJet
30th May 2007, 04:37 PM
Many sever sites are just getting around to using FC4 (in the last year). It's consumer fraud but no one is looking out for computer users as the whole world system is in bed with the corporations or the lesser developed governments don't care and actually benefit from ripping off the consumers of services.

He should look for one using Cent-OS 4.4+ or 5 or RHLE 4.4+ or 5.

In case no one was paying attention, we have been taken over by fascists and religious fanatics..
And this allows the populace to justify there actions as being ok screw their neighbor in many ways. :)

The news is owned by the same and just ignores the important items and broadcasts distractions to keep the citizens sedated while they rob them blind and rape the world to a point of clasped.

Nothing is simple anymore is it? :)

SJ

Mat
30th May 2007, 04:54 PM
FCs binary packages come as RPMs, use those specifically for the FC version you're using (sometimes rpms for older versions work on newer versions though)

rpms can be installed using the rpm command

however, FC uses yum to take care of dependencies etc... yum would be gentoo's emerge equivalent

as to using FC on a server.. it would be certainly better to use distros like CentOS for servers, since fedora versions are not supported [-> e.g. security fixes] 1 year (or 2?) after their release..

however, if you plan to stay with FC you shouldn't update to FC7 just yet. Since it's considered bleeding-edge, you *could* expect problems/bugs/whatever and having those on a production system, is not the best thing :)

Mat

beyond-it
1st June 2007, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I knew FC4 was somewhat outdated, but i figured there is some sense in using stable software. I didn't know FC4 is that outdated, is it really that bad?

Maybe this is the reason why i'm stuck with apache-2.0.54 and yum says there are no updates (i want >= 2.0.58) ?

Nothing is simple anymore :P

Mat
3rd June 2007, 06:41 PM
well, the software might be stable, however when security issues are discovered - and patched - you will not get those patches for FC4..

so for servers, you should consider using CentOS (as SlowJet already pointed out)

Mat

beyond-it
3rd June 2007, 06:46 PM
I'll take this up with the hostingcompany and see what they have to say about this. I must say i feel a bit stupid about not checking this first, but one would expect a hosting company to offer supported and uptodate software.

Thanks for all the replies!

Dies
3rd June 2007, 06:52 PM
One of the things i'm not sure of is the best way to set configure options for packages. I have some packages (e.g. PHP) which i need with some specific configure options. Of course i could simply compile it manually (./configure, make, make install), but i'd rather do it in some FC-way. Doing it manually also prevents me from easy upgrading etc..

I'm quite sure there has to be a standardized way to do stuff like this.

Nope.

That's one of the things you just have to love about source based systems.

With packages you can't get that kind of control, you trade control for convenience, now you can always DL the source RPM and rebuild it yourself but any upgrades would blow away your custom rpm, the only advantage is that you can easily remove it with the package manager.