PDA

View Full Version : simple question i'm sure

Zero-Override
30th May 2007, 10:30 AM
how the *peep* do you fix the quotation handling in FC, like when i type"i'm" and i do it like in windows then it has no problem but when in FC it doesn't know a character containing a m with a ' above it so it deletes my ' and my m thinking i have made an error (does anybody understand what i just wrote? :p)

i would like something similar to the windows handling with quotations ( things like ' " ^ ` ~)

any help would be GREATLY appreciated since this is really driving me up the wall :p

pete_1967
30th May 2007, 11:03 AM
And in what program you have problem with this?

Zero-Override
30th May 2007, 11:13 AM
firefox mostly i think, haven really checked other programs

just checked Yakuake (terminal emulator) and it has no problems with it

things like gedit have the same problem though, kate doesn't though neither respond to it as i want (they put and accent above the m instead of an appostrofe before the letter)

thanks for the reply :)

pete_1967
30th May 2007, 12:02 PM
things like gedit have the same problem though, kate doesn't though neither respond to it as i want (they put and accent above the m instead of an appostrofe before the letter)

You are saying that if you type

"I'm"

in gEdit or Kate, they convert it to:

"Iḿ"

?

Zero-Override
30th May 2007, 12:06 PM
if i try to type i'm then it does the i then it stops to see what i want to do with the apostrofe and then when i type the m it does nothing at all and all that is typed is the i

so

i'm

will become

i

it's just blank behind it

pete_1967
30th May 2007, 01:04 PM
I got a feeling that this is related to either your language settings or input methods. Also check your keyboard configuration and keyboard shortcuts.

Never heard of something like that happening and I tried changing gEdit's preferences and plugins and couldn't reproduce.

If it is any consolidation, this isn't a problem with FC (or any other Linux distro or Unix that matter). I've never heard this kind of problem before and I doubt anyone else has either.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Zero-Override
30th May 2007, 01:28 PM
well i've set my language to english united stated, and i've always had it with every install i've done and that's when i haven't touched a single setting ;)

i will check my language and maybe change it to english great britain or something like that ;)

thanks for the help anyway :)

tw2113
30th May 2007, 03:43 PM
i know in php coding you have to put a \ in front of it. that way the code knows that it's not trying to assign value to a variable. it's called an Escape Character

Zero-Override
30th May 2007, 11:20 PM
well this is for an ordinary post on the forum for instance ;) i'd rather not use any php/programming languages in that to :) (i'm already high on nerd-points :p)

tw2113
31st May 2007, 12:10 AM
not sure then