PDA

View Full Version : Messnger is but Fine but is there wrt video call any L.......uck!!

ZODZOD
29th May 2007, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know any messenger for video call between linux based PC n Windows based PC? the yahoo version for linux seems to be pretty poor in features.

brunson
29th May 2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

ZODZOD
29th May 2007, 06:32 PM
Thank-you.. brunson

will surely reply,.. when things start workin..

ZODZOD
29th May 2007, 06:40 PM
I tried downloading the sources for linux ..but the download for windows is not working!!..

Does anyone know anything about the windows version of Ekiga or.. any other software for that matter.. ?

If anyone knows.. please tell!!

brunson
29th May 2007, 06:47 PM
You can install ekiga from the fedora repositories. As root: "yum install ekiga".

I pointed you to the project page because it states that it is compatible with any H.323 compliant software, including Micro$oft Netmeeting. Try googling for windows H.323 video conferencing software.

ZODZOD
29th May 2007, 06:47 PM
i think there was some problem in the network... so i wasn't getting the page pertaining to the windows version downloads...
now tht i have all i need.. i'll start compiling the sources and reply in with the results..

Thank-you!

brunson
29th May 2007, 06:48 PM
Please see my previous post, no need to compile. :-)

ZODZOD
29th May 2007, 06:50 PM
i hav already downloaded the sources as i also use red hat some times....

offcenter77
29th May 2007, 07:11 PM
Skype should work cross platform as well, but I believe there is a cost to it. Haven't used it extensively, so I'm not sure.

tsorvoja
29th May 2007, 07:35 PM
You might want to try Kopete which is compatible with various IM applications. You can get Kopete with KDE packages (via yum from core repo), though it works fine in GNOME also. I haven't tested video conference between Kopete and MS Messenger.

ZODZOD
1st June 2007, 02:15 PM
i tried installin the above said s/w but;.......ekiga keeps crashing.. and skype doesn't provide video call in linux...

maladeus
1st June 2007, 03:13 PM
I use kopete under gnome instead of gaim/pidgin because of the webcam support for msn. It works great with the msn client. About yahoo or icq i can't really tell.
kopete is in the kde-network package so you need to install kde for it to work (even if you use gnome).
For web cam support you need to install the appropriate webcam drivers, in order to do so you need to compile them yourself (someone should put them in livna); or use the freshrpms version (I think there were some packages around), but those are a pain, expecially if you're on rawide because it is a kernel module and there has been a new kernel everyday for around 2 weeks.

The problem with msn webcam is that is slow, for better speed i would go with ekiga (you also need the webcam drivers).