PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Forum at it's Best

bob
29th May 2007, 05:34 PM
Forum members who have experience with Fedora and are willing to help any member in trouble are invaluable. However, there have been recent occasions where members have been less than friendly with their replies. There have also been occasions where members have commented on posting and Guideline violations rather than referring it to a Community Manager.

With the coming release of Fedora7, the Forum will be seeing many new members with many questions that have been asked and answered before. There will also be new people expressing frustration in their posts and opinions we may not share. Please realize that we are here to help them, not criticise them and if we're not willing to do that, simply pass the thread by without comment and perhaps someone else will handle it. If you feel that comments, questions or threads are completely inappropriate, please report them promptly to the Community Managers.

Let's show FedoraForum.org in it's best light; helpful and patient with everyone. Be slow to take offense and avoid confrontations. Community Managers and Administrators will be less patient with these issues than in the past, so don't let your good work end up as a warning or even a possible ban.

daihard
29th May 2007, 05:46 PM
Very well put, bob. I totally agree with you.

I was a newbie here not long ago. I always remember the existing members to be extremely friendly and helpful. I certainly hope that we keep that trend alive from now on.

Dan
29th May 2007, 06:08 PM
Hmmm.

Ok. Can't argue with that.

The burning question is, with FC6, it was the nVIDIA 6000 series video driver black screen of death, the Anaconda Snake-egg kernel, and the ubiquitous video drivers, Beryl, wifi issues.

The F7 developers have already ironed out the ALi IDE issues, so what do you think will be the problem de jur this time around?

I'm betting on the standard mp3, DVD, codecs issues, and perhaps this time around, more web-cam questions.

I'm also betting we see in excess of 20,000 users on the forum sometime in the first two post-release weeks.

Any takers?

Dan

JN4OldSchool
29th May 2007, 06:10 PM
:eek: The bulletin went around huh? OK, I have had my moments here lately, just wanted you to know I am aware of that. I am trying to stay away a bit more and temper my replies. Your post is well advised, I see a degradation of spirit here lately and I certainly dont want to be a part of that trend. No question is dumb when you dont know the answer. You can count on me to throttle it back some.

wdgiles
29th May 2007, 06:17 PM
Ditto here, will be on my best behavior. Do you still want us to report double posts etc using the "report post" button?

glennzo
29th May 2007, 09:02 PM
Glad you posted that note Bob. I've been noticing lately that this forum has been somewhat less than friendly at times. Some surprising replies to several posts. I've learned a lot from the folks here and try to pass on some of it to 'newbies'. Long live Fedora!

bob
29th May 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for your support guys. I know you will. And, yes please, continue to report double-posts and such with the button, but we'll handle the scolding when necessary.

tw2113
29th May 2007, 09:24 PM
no problem here

Plossl
29th May 2007, 10:12 PM
.. we'll handle the scolding when necessary.
Good point.

There's a debate going on over at the Debian forum about the propriety of advising posters to use other distros. One side says you don't question their choice of Debian; the other says it's OK to recommend others when appropriate.

It's a fine distinction to make. When in doubt about this or any other topic, it seems wise to simply leave it to the professionals.

mbokil
29th May 2007, 10:16 PM
Be slow to take offense and avoid confrontations.
Ah, I think I need you to talk to my coworkers Bob. Are you available for motivational coaching? ;) I don't know what it is but they always take things so personally even little tiny problems. Meetings always dissolve into petty bickering. I am convinced that some people just thrive on drama. Psychologists say you see more conflict on web mediums since people lack feedback controls which limit their responses (flaming,trolling, etc.).

It got so bad the company brought in this workshop guy on communication. He had this saying that "judgment is the big communication killer." The saying stuck with me since it makes a lot of sense.

w5set
29th May 2007, 11:32 PM
Very good advice Bob. This new release has been talked up a lot in some of the E-media and I do expect quite a few folks will be dropping along with the normal, oft repeated, ad nauseum questions that were answered in just the preceding 4 threads.
So remember folks--they had to fire up their trusty depenbable ol win98/me computers to even query the forum on their latest problem with FC7 T2 they just downloaded --ON June 10th !!! to build their greatest game/chat server/desktop imaginable!!---whoaaaa!!
OOpppsss--sorry, Bob--that is the stuff we are supposed to be patient with.... /me takes tranqualizer and sits for 10 minutes in dark corner.
Bob is very right folks--the barrage is going to get worse in just a couple of days.
Patience is a virtue, and sometimes in short supply. But being the really nice forum haunters/posters/helping types that we are, we should put on a big smiley face and "Do it for da Gipper", one more time.
Actually the very often asked --- "I don't take time to search/read much/URGENT!" ----type questions can be effectively answered by a simple copy/paste of the problem answering thread to the poster thus mostly filling your inner needs of shouting "READ/SEARCH!!!" and quite effectively answering the question posted AND keep some sembalence of propriety.

Joking aside, folks--in this day and age of OS/distro legalities, it behooves all of us in the Fedora blue to put the very best face forward to the rest of the world and gain the most converts to OSS we can. There's something about "safety in numbers"....(and it cuts into Balmers bonus $$)

Dan
9th June 2007, 04:48 PM
Hmmm.

Ok. Can't argue with that.

The burning question is, with FC6, it was the nVIDIA 6000 series video driver black screen of death, the Anaconda Snake-egg kernel, and the ubiquitous video drivers, Beryl, wifi issues.

The F7 developers have already ironed out the ALi IDE issues, so what do you think will be the problem de jur this time around?

I'm betting on the standard mp3, DVD, codecs issues, and perhaps this time around, more web-cam questions.

I'm also betting we see in excess of 20,000 users on the forum sometime in the first two post-release weeks.

Any takers?

Dan And that's why I don't gamble, and stay strictly out of the stock market. <..:eek:..>

"the standard mp3, DVD, codecs issues" : Well, that was about as predictable as a fall followed by a "Thud!" To my surprise, however, I'm not seeing anything about web-cams, and in a bizarre twist, now it's the 7000 series nVIDIA card giving grief. Go figure!

Overall, so far, I'd say Wireless and USB drive issues are the F7 vunderbork.

Oh! and you can PM me for this weeks latest hot stock tips! <..:p..>

Dan

leigh123linux
9th June 2007, 04:56 PM
And that's why I don't gamble, and stay strictly out of the stock market. <..:eek:..>

"the standard mp3, DVD, codecs issues" : Well, that was about as predictable as a fall followed by a "Thud!" To my surprise, however, I'm not seeing anything about web-cams, and in a bizarre twist, now it's the 7000 series nVIDIA card giving grief. Go figure!

Overall, so far, I'd say Wireless and USB drive issues are the F7 vunderbork.

Oh! and you can PM me for this weeks latest hot stock tips! <..:p..>

Dan

My 7600GT runs great in F7 , I have just made a Live DVD with a fully working Nvidia driver + beryl

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=806870&postcount=16

And it runs rock solid, I have been using it for nearly 19 hours without fault :cool:

[root@localhost ~]# uptime
16:57:19 up 18:29, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.08
[root@localhost ~]#

Dan
9th June 2007, 05:01 PM
Morning, Leigh.

Yeah! Seems like it's the stock nv driver doing it. Once the nVIDIA drivers are loaded up, I'm seeing nothing but smiles.

Dan

leigh123linux
9th June 2007, 05:12 PM
Morning, Leigh.

Yeah! Seems like it's the stock nv driver doing it. Once the nVIDIA drivers are loaded up, I'm seeing nothing but smiles.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I didn't have any problem with "nv" either , What did you think of the link ? .
I feel that I have corrupted something that was pure by adding all the nonfree bits.
It took a while to make as I am new to revisor and have only played with it for a couple of days.
Its so much like may harddrive install I have forgotten that I have been running LiveDVD and wondered where all my files had gone. :eek:

Leigh

Dan
9th June 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Dan,

I didn't have any problem with "nv" either , What did you think of the link ? .
I feel that I have corrupted something that was pure by adding all the nonfree bits.
It took a while to make as I am new to revisor and have only played with it for a couple of days.
Its so much like may harddrive install I have forgotten that I have been running LiveDVD and wondered where all my files had gone. :eek:

Leigh I saw that last night. Kona would be proud! <..:p..> I may try that here later. And give it an outlaw biker theme for the screen art! <..:rolleyes:..>

In the mean time, I've been wrestling with a Microtek v600 scanner all morning. After several hours ... I win! It goes to live in the dumpster! <..:cool:..>

Dan

giulix
9th June 2007, 08:11 PM
May I suggest one of those threads about codecs and Fedora being 100% free to be stuck somewhere ? That is going to be one of the most asked questions

Dan
9th June 2007, 10:19 PM
Good thought.

I think Firewing1, Jim, Nick, Leigh and a host of others have tried. There are several, however the search function oft recommended isn't exactly a prize winner.

But you've given me an idea. Thanks!

Dan

bob
9th June 2007, 10:47 PM
Actually, it's all over the official Fedora site:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c2232
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview