PDA

View Full Version : Mounting windows Partitions !!

_Entropy__
29th May 2007, 07:40 AM
Hi guys ........

I am completely new to the world of Linux . I found myself a copy of Fedora core 6 . Installation was bug free except for the out of range error which i did sort out . But now the problem is , i am not able to mount windows partitions . I have searched and did come across lots of threads that explains how to mount windows partitions , but something seems to be going wrong . This is the command i gave to mount my fat 32 partitions

mkdir/media/windows

mount/dev/hda1/media/windows/ -t vfat -o iocharset=utf8 , umask=000

I picked this from another site . Is this the way to mount fat32 partitions or am i doing it wrong

everytime i execute this command i get the error message :

mkdir/media/windows No such file or directory .

Can smeone plz guide me on how to mount my fat 32 partitions . I will be greatfull . TNx :)

I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed in the forums . But I cud not find it !!

giulix
29th May 2007, 08:39 AM
There should be a space between the command and its argument(s)/parameter(s), like

mkdir /media/windows
mount /dev/hda1 /media/windows

As you can see, after both mkdir and mount a space must separate the command from its argument(s)/parameter(s)
Also, check each command syntax with

man <command>

For example:

man mount

_Entropy__
30th May 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks !!! You are right . I made the same mistake u mentioned . I had not given a space b/w the command and the argument . Thanks a lot :)

_Entropy__
30th May 2007, 12:18 PM
I have one more problem . I am all set to completely shift to Linux . But there is a problem when i boot up my fedora . The bootup hangs at "starting sendmail" service . I never had any problem until i had set up my eth0 . Can one plz enlighten me whats going wrong :(

giulix
30th May 2007, 12:38 PM
Not enough info: Check /var/log/maillog for any error messages

itsthescottdog
30th May 2007, 01:00 PM
Unless you're using one of the e-mail clients included with Fedora, you should just disable sendmail. Go to System>Administration>Services or something like that and uncheck the box for sendmail. Save the settings, then restart and it should be fine.

Do you have an internet connection when you start up your computer? If not, this could be causing a problem as well. I know that I had issues with this on dial-up.

tokegee
30th May 2007, 07:03 PM
Hi
I just run fdisk as root user on FC6.

# fdisk
bash: fdisk: command not found

showed as above. :confused:

Help me. How can I get fdisk command?

Best regards

Dies
30th May 2007, 07:12 PM
Hi
I just run fdisk as root user on FC6.

# fdisk
bash: fdisk: command not found

showed as above. :confused:

Help me. How can I get fdisk command?

Best regards

hmm...

Are you sure you are in the right thread ?

Did you use "su -" or just "su" to gain root? there is a difference.

If you still can't get it, try

whereis fdisk

then supply the full path.

tokegee
30th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Hi Dies

I don't know .. I am in the right thread or not. :D I just wanted to mount my windows partiton. so.
here

I run
# whereis fdisk
fdisk: /sbin/fdisk /usr/share/man/man8/fdisk.8.gz

showed as above.
But I still could not run yet fdisk. :(

What I have to do to run fdisk? Please explain me step by step.

Best regards

glennzo
30th May 2007, 08:04 PM
As root in a terminal type
fdisk -l /dev/sda (or /dev/hda as the case may be)
If you setup sudo then as your regular user
sudo /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda (or /dev/hda as the case may be)

tokegee
30th May 2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you. I could run fdisk. :)

tokegee
30th May 2007, 09:36 PM
Thank you .. Dies, glennzo and all ! I did successfully mount Windows Partition. :)
It saves me the cost of USB Flash Disk. :D

_Entropy__
31st May 2007, 03:15 AM
Unless you're using one of the e-mail clients included with Fedora, you should just disable sendmail. Go to System>Administration>Services or something like that and uncheck the box for sendmail. Save the settings, then restart and it should be fine.

Do you have an internet connection when you start up your computer? If not, this could be causing a problem as well. I know that I had issues with this on dial-up.

I do have an internet connection when i start my computer . The bootup hangs at Starting email transport and it takes another 10 mins to move further and i noticed that the system has become too slow . Anyways i disbaled the sendmail services . Thank u guys for all ur help :)

I dnt knw why everytime i solve a problem another one pops up :D Now today morning when i booted into my fedora , the bootup was faster than b4 and the performance has improved quite a lot . But my DVD drives are not getin detected all of a sudden . I have two drives :

Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DRU-830A and a Sony DVD Rom

My drives were workin fine in Fedora till last day . I dnt knw what went wrong . :confused: plz help me to sort it out :(