PDA

View Full Version : touble with dual booting use linux and windows

my_mind
29th May 2007, 02:18 AM
im a beginer using linux
i need help to solve my problem

im use two operating sistem linux fedora core 3 and windows XP, and linux still original
my problem is : i can't entry my windows Xp and linux. just appear grub command

grub>

if i want to instal new windows XP again, with booting from CD windows XP, it can't. only blank screen appear at my monitor. but if im instal new linux again it can.

how i can entry my windows again or instal new windows XP, so windows XP can working properly

im sorry if my english not good.

thank for your help

your regard
_________
my_mind

sid1950
29th May 2007, 03:49 AM
When you installed Linux, where did you put GRUB?

my_mind
29th May 2007, 04:02 AM
windows and linux installed at one hardisk but im sparate at many drive
windows im install at (hd0,1)
linux im instal at (hd0,5)

so im installed grub with linux drive.

marcrblevins
29th May 2007, 04:21 AM
Fedora Core 3 on the other linux, that is no longer supported, then just eliminate it all together.

Do this instead:
Delete all partitations, use first %50 of hard drive for your XP and the leftover for Fedora Core 6. Or wait a week or two and install Fedora 7.

my_mind
29th May 2007, 04:30 AM
if i delete partition with tooll partition magic, i stil can't install my new windows XP
that the problem. the screen monitor after boot from cd winXP is Blank. can't detect hadware configuration.
but if im install new linux its working.

sid1950
29th May 2007, 04:30 AM
GRUB counts the disk partitions from zero, so (hd0,1) is the second partition on disk 1. GRUB should be installed to (hd0,0) In normal Linux speak this is hda1. Windows XP pre-installed usually has two partitions. The first is a recovery disk, and the second is the actual install. You seem to have the partitions right.

To install GRUB without having to run the install disk again, open a terminal as root and type:

> grub-install /dev/hda
> exit
To have both OS available you need to edit the GRUB start up file. Look on your Linux partition (hda6 or (hd0,5)) for the directory /boot/grub and a file menu.st

Inside the file you will see entries like this:

title Linux - openSUSE 10.2
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default vga=0x317 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

title Kubuntu 7.04
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
savedefault
boot

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
This is for a laptop with Windows XP on the first partition - hda1 or (hd0,0), Suse on the 4th partition - hda4 or (hd0,3) and Kubuntu on the 8th partition - hda8 or (hd0,7) The Linux installer should have done this for you. If you can boot Linux, then all you need to add is the entry for XP. For your machine set it like this:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

my_mind
29th May 2007, 04:45 AM
how to run terminal as root
because im a beginer at linux

my screen just appear comand grub.
this is the command:

grub>

at the moment im not yet enter the linux as root.

sid1950
29th May 2007, 04:46 AM
The reason you can't install XP is that Linux has over-written the MBR or Master Boot Record. Can you start again and reformat the drive? Do you have anything that needs saving?

If you can you should re-install XP first, and then Linux.

To fix the MBR you need to find a file which should be in /boot mine is called "backup_mbr". It may be called something like "boot.000" Then run this command as root in a terminal

dd if=/boot/backup_mbr of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1The first bit of the command should be the directory and name of your backup MBR and the second is the place it is to go. In this case the beginning of the first hard drive.

Once you do this you should be able to re-install Windows. Once you have done that use the GRUB install command from my other post to put it back.

sid1950
29th May 2007, 04:49 AM
I'm typing too slow!

at grub> try CTRL+c and see what happens.

It sounds like you need to start again.

my_mind
29th May 2007, 05:09 AM
im sorry i know what you mind
but the trouble is i can't install new windows xp after im reformat the drive where windows has installed before.
are im reformat drive is im format all partition at the hard drive...

an im doing
grub> then press CTR + c

that not react anything

sid1950
29th May 2007, 05:25 AM
but the trouble is i can't install new windows xp after im reformat the drive where windows has installed before.
are im reformat drive is im format all partition at the hard drive...
Do you mean you have reformatted the drive?

Can you start this again at the beginning, so you format the drive, install Windows, then install Linux again?

If you can start again I suggest you download this GParted Live CD http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.3.4-7.iso?modtime=1179575456&big_mirror=0

It is a CD image, so you burn it to a CD using Roxio or Nero or whatever. Choose "Burn a CD Image". Then you can boot the CD and it will give you tools to format, partition and fix things.

sid1950
29th May 2007, 11:42 AM
Heres a comprehensive How-to on GRUB http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975&page=1&pp=15

You will find a lot of help in the Fodora Resources forum http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12