PDA

View Full Version : VMWare

chrfel
28th May 2007, 09:56 PM
Has anyone had problems configuring vmware on their Fedora 6 system? I have not been having any success installing Vmware after updating from Fedora Core 5 to FC6. If anyone else has had these difficulties, please let me know what you did to remedy them. Thank you!

JN4OldSchool
28th May 2007, 10:02 PM
maybe you could describe what problems you are having? You do know about the i586 kernel bug for starters? I am sure you have the development kernel and know how to set vmware up so I would guess the i586 kernel is the problem:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common

A.Serbinski
28th May 2007, 10:05 PM
Vmware doesn't work on ANY dist with kernel greater than 2.6.18. It causes random whole-system lockup problems and vmware is not admitting to or willing to come up with a fix for the problem.

Instead of vmware, use qemu/kqemu, or if your CPU supports it, kvm.

sideways
28th May 2007, 10:05 PM
just to back up jn4, I've found vmware works flawlessly under FC6, but I have stuck with the older 2.18 kernels (for other hardware dependency issues)

chrfel
28th May 2007, 10:09 PM
Yes, I have the kernel-devel installed, same version as kernel, and I have i386 system. I am not aware of the i586 bug.

Mat
28th May 2007, 10:27 PM
Vmware doesn't work on ANY dist with kernel greater than 2.6.18. It causes random whole-system lockup problems and vmware is not admitting to or willing to come up with a fix for the problem.

never experienced that with my 2.6.19 kernel..

you guys DO use the any-updates (http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update109.tar.gz) right?

Mat

chrfel
28th May 2007, 10:32 PM
Thank you, this must be my problem because I have updated my kernel everytime an update is out. I had thought that I was missing a dependency which I fruitlessly sought after for about a month now.

sideways
28th May 2007, 10:34 PM
Yup, Mat has it there, be up-to-date is the key (any-updates link will see you smiling, unless your kernel is very recent)

Dies
28th May 2007, 11:51 PM

Instead of vmware, use qemu/kqemu, or if your CPU supports it, kvm.

Hmm...

Someone forgot to tell my installs, it's working fine with 2.6.21. But then it also worked well with 2.6.20, 2.6.19....

JN4OldSchool
28th May 2007, 11:56 PM
Hmm...

Someone forgot to tell my installs, it's working fine with 2.6.21. But then it also worked well with 2.6.20, 2.6.19....

Yeah, I let the post slide but it runs fine for me also. Leigh is having issues with these newer kernels, maybe it is a hardware thing? At any rate, my computers have never ran so good. All of them.

A.Serbinski
29th May 2007, 12:01 AM
This is not an update issue. Its a defect in vmware that doesn't ALWAYS cause problems, but DOES result in random system lockups when using 2.6.19+. http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=77885&start=0&tstart=0

ryptyde
29th May 2007, 12:32 AM
I had recently tried to reconfigure vmware-player for the latest kernel and wasnt able to get it to build. Went to the vmware download page and grabbed the latest .rpm listed there " VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.i386.rpm" installed it and currently running from a virtual machine Austrumi-1.3.1.

My kernel is "2.6.20-1.2948.fc6. Currently running for about 45 min and havent noticed anything unusual yet.

chrfel
29th May 2007, 02:20 AM
This did the job and I am running kernel 2.6.20.... Thank you all for your comments. I should have come here sooner. I appreciate everyones thoughts on the matter.

bouchecl
29th May 2007, 05:29 AM
This is not an update issue. Its a defect in vmware that doesn't ALWAYS cause problems, but DOES result in random system lockups when using 2.6.19+. http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=77885&start=0&tstart=0

The post you linked to mentioned VMWare WS 5.5.3 and the old player with x86_64 kernels, which you failed to mention. I can assure you that it is not the case with a FC6 i686 kernel (I've been running 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6 for a while now). I'm up to date as far as kernels go and I run WS 6.0 (and 5.5.3, 5.5.4 before that), the VMware player, the VMware server and console and I cannot reproduce the bug.

As a matter of fact, the installation of WS 6.0, two weeks ago, was particularly smooth: no tweaking in the source and the modules built correctly IIRC.

psyklops
29th May 2007, 03:01 PM
I'm running VMWare Workstation 6.0 on FC6 with kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6 on an x86_64 and have not experienced lock-ups now.

The real issue is that VMware does stress the system, so any little hiccups or conflicts could manifest themselves into something more serious.

I had an issue with the MTU setting on my NIC vs. what my guests were configured at, coupled with the driver that I was using and it seemed that VMware was the culprit. In actual fact I could reproduce the hang/lockup outside of VMware (i.e. I just hammered the network with large packet size pings).

Just takes a bit of troubleshooting, but VMware does ask a lot of the system and it can highlight areas that might not be VMWare's fault...