satimis
28th May 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi folks,

CPU - AMD Athlon64 3000

I'm prepared to download Fedora7 86_64 with BT. I found;

f7-rc2-x86_64.torrent

on;
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

Is this the right DVD ISO image for me? What is Candidate 2?

My PC is connected to 3MB broadband. For net installation which DVD ISO image I have to download?

TIA

B.R.
satimis

JN4OldSchool
28th May 2007, 04:49 PM
release candidate 2. Fedora 7 is still a test version, it isnt released yet. You do NOT want to go here, just wait a week for F7 to come out. You might also want to think about just using the 32 bit version. This is a huge argument but when push comes to shove it is my opinion that you will gain nothing by using 64 bit but will have a few minor problems. Use your time to read up on this, Fedora in general and partitioning and grub so you have a decent foundation when F7 comes out. :)

edit: Hey, wait a sec! You have 840 posts! Forgive me if I am telling you things you already know.

v00d00
29th May 2007, 03:12 AM
For me the only reason to use 64 bit over 32 bit is so i can run the 64bit SMP folding client on my C2Q. Beyond that it doesn't offer much.

But i haven't discovered any problems with it either. Im using the x86_64 version of RC2 at the moment and havent come across any problems either. Maybe this a problem that affects only certain people, with dodgy hardware, or noobs.

JN4OldSchool
29th May 2007, 03:20 AM
ah, mostly just flash from what I understand. I just havent found any real reason to try 64 bit yet myself.

Dies
29th May 2007, 03:30 AM
ah, mostly just flash from what I understand. I just havent found any real reason to try 64 bit yet myself.

I tried it, I didn't see any reason to keep it. ;)

I don't really run any apps that would benefit from it though, at least not on a regular basis.

satimis
29th May 2007, 03:45 AM
Hi folks,

I have been running F6 86_64 since its official release. I did not find any problem on running it. I fail to see any reason to run 32 bit version on a 64bit box.

satimis

JN4OldSchool
29th May 2007, 03:47 AM
Hi folks,

I have been running F6 86_64 since its official release. I did not find any problem on running it. I fail to see any reason to run 32 bit version on a 64bit box.

satimis

More power to ya, with 840 odd posts I imagine you know what you are doing by now. :)

v00d00
29th May 2007, 02:22 PM
LOL @ post count.

I've been using fedora for years, but only joined here a little while back. Im a semi-regular on LinuxQuestions, with a matching post count.

I've never had a problem so far i've not been able to fix, it just requires a little time to come up with a workaround, and the use of logic.

JN4OldSchool
29th May 2007, 02:37 PM
LOL @ post count.

I've been using fedora for years, but only joined here a little while back. Im a semi-regular on LinuxQuestions, with a matching post count.

I've never had a problem so far i've not been able to fix, it just requires a little time to come up with a workaround, and the use of logic.

Oh, I agree completely. Post count is never an indicator of knowledge. The only reason mine is so high is I like to BS on forums. But my posts asking for help can probably be counted on one hand. It isnt that I am smart or a linux guru or anything, I am actually rather basic in my linux knowledge. I just know how to research my problems and find the answers without having to ask. Any problem you may have has already been solved in here. My remark to Satimis though suggests that with this many posts he is not a newcomer to Linux, he has had to use it a little while no matter his skill level. Which really makes me wonder about his original questions? I also have to wonder about the curtness of the reply that he just cant see running 32 bit on a 64 bit box like only an idiot would do that. But, I suppose everyone has their own ideas...It is getting on time for me to go 64 myself, I just cant see any advantage at this point. I keep looking into it as a matter of interest but all I see is extra work. Anyway, wrong thread for it, it is an interesting topic though, one in which I really am not sold by either side.