PDA

View Full Version : Some Beagle questions..

MonkeyMan
27th May 2007, 02:22 PM
Beagle! What good does it do? It's completely worthless at searching my files, and I don't see why it is integrated in firefox. Or am I just ignorant? Can anybody give me an example on how, and why, to use beagle?

How do remove it from firefox? Even if deactivate it, it's always activated when I restart firefox, can't find it in settings either. Any suggestions?

Why have the fedora developers choosen this feature?

mlavalle
27th May 2007, 04:31 PM
I've also never found use for it, and removed it from my system. Just search for it in Add/Remove Software and uninstall it.

MonkeyMan
28th May 2007, 08:59 AM
I just had that puppy put down, no more beagle!

Wayne
28th May 2007, 09:40 AM
Now you've got rid of Beagle but you still want a search function and if you're using Gnome, right-click on the menu area and select 'Edit Menus' then click on the 'Accessories' category. There enable the 'Search' entry in the right column, after that right-click on it (Search) and select 'Properties' If it's pointing to 'beagle-search' in the 'Command' area change it to gnome-search-tool, click 'Close' and 'Close' again.

Also look in your 'home' folder for a hidden directory called '.beagle' this contains its index files and you can delete it.

Edit: Once you change that entry to 'gnome-search-tool' the 'Search' entry under 'Places' automatically changes from Beagle too :D

Wayne

MonkeyMan
28th May 2007, 09:54 AM
Now you've got rid of Beagle but you still want a search function and if you're using Gnome, right-click on the menu area and select 'Edit Menus' then click on the 'Accessories' category. There enable the 'Search' entry in the right column, after that right-click on it (Search) and select 'Properties' If it's pointing to 'beagle-search' in the 'Command' area change it to gnome-search-tool, click 'Close' and 'Close' again.

Also look in your 'home' folder for a hidden directory called '.beagle' this contains its index files and you can delete it.

Edit: Once you change that entry to 'gnome-search-tool' the 'Search' entry under 'Places' automatically changes from Beagle too :D

Wayne

Cool, will do! is the gnome search tool better than beagle? I searched my home directory for an explicit and existing filename and beagle scored zero. It even failed to produce anything searching for *, so I guess anything, even a program that does random yes/no guesses is better.

Wayne
28th May 2007, 10:00 AM
Cool, will do! is the gnome search tool better than beagle? I searched my home directory for an explicit and existing filename and beagle scored zero. It even failed to produce anything searching for *, so I guess anything, even a program that does random yes/no guesses is better.

It's just the good old-fashioned Gnome search tool. It might take more time than Beagle to find something, but it doesn't bog down your system either, which is noticeable on not so new equipment.

Wayne

MonkeyMan
28th May 2007, 10:32 AM
It's just the good old-fashioned Gnome search tool. It might take more time than Beagle to find something, but it doesn't bog down your system either, which is noticeable on not so new equipment.

Wayne

I think I will write my own search tool: 'chihuahua'. It just has one mode, and always gives the same answer:

$ chihuahua /home/MonkeyMan/music *.ogg
chihuahua: dunno.. maybe..

Way better then beagle :D