PDA

View Full Version : Client-server model on the same pc

tech291083
26th May 2007, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Just came across this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-server

As far as the client-server model/architecture is concerned there needs to be a client and server. But if I have installed MySQL which is a database server and MySQLAdmin which is I suppose is the client that asks the server (MySQL here) on my personal computer only which is not connected to any other computers on is not on any network itself, can this be an example of a client-server model/architecture? I am new to Linux so please forgive me if I am a bit off track or stupid here, thanks a lot

SlowJet
26th May 2007, 06:37 PM
Client-Server computer and Client-sever software and a Client computer vs. a sever computer vs. server software functions (which can be on the same server computer or different ones and in some cases need to be on the same computer or on different ones.)

are just different layers of the computer concepts using the same words.

You could bundle one computer with client and sever software that talked to each other or to another computer.

Linux is a server OS and comes with many sever software applications and the corresponding clients applications. Sometimes there are a varitiy of client application for the same sever application.

But one computer can only do so much work and some applications need to be seperated for improved security and some for ease of maintenance and some for other reasons like (law, money, ownership, resource sharing quotas, etc).

Don't like the words mess you up.
Look at each requirement and the determine what it needs to get the job done.

SJ