PDA

View Full Version : New to linux, need some help

2WhEElTeRRoRisT
26th May 2007, 05:01 PM
I have tried Linux in the past, but was always discouraged with the results. I am running FC5 right now on my laptop and I actually have some programs running. I have two things that are making me question whether on not to just put XP back on. The big one is that I can't get my wireless card to work. I followed the directions on this page http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Distribution_list/Fedora
but when i get to the dkms build line, it always fails saying it can't find the kernel.

My other problem is that the wired connection i am using right now to at least be able to install programs and updates drops all the time. it doesn't disconnect, it just stops working. the only way i have found to fix it is to deactivate/reactivate the connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JN4OldSchool
26th May 2007, 05:25 PM
I know this is going to sound anti-productive to most, but since you are new and you are straddling the line between just giving up and going back to Windows, why not try Ubuntu Feisty Fawn? Wireless is probably the leading cause of people giving up on Linux and because of the Fedora philosophy and the way it is built Fedora is probably one of the hardest distros to get this working on. Most folks find Ubuntu connects right out of the box! I am using it on my kids computer and it is a good, tight distro. I am very impressed with it. Of course there are plenty of threads in this forum that tell you EXACTLY how to connect whatever wireless card you have but I understand that they are a PITA to find sometimes and we tend to give 101 different ways to solve the simplest problem. I would suggest you stop beating your head on the desk and just try the Ubuntu to get your feet wet. Fedora is a beautiful distro but it really requires some advanced knowledge. It's not that you cant learn on it, just that you will find the learning curve slightly steeper in this camp.

tw2113
26th May 2007, 05:37 PM
wireless was detected pretty easily last night when i ran a Ubuntu live CD. I was checking this forum from it

2WhEElTeRRoRisT
26th May 2007, 06:21 PM
Well I guess I was hoping to just get the install I have working, but if you guys all think that it would make my life that much easier to start over with that one I think I might just try that. Thanks a lot for the quick replies.