PDA

View Full Version : Is 64bit stable?

TVYack.com
25th May 2007, 02:45 AM
Hi guys,

I've been running the 32bit version of fedora4 for over a year now. Absolutely rock solid. Anyway, I'm getting a new xeon dual 2ghz server and wondering if I should put fedora5 64bit on there. This is a production level server that runs the usual suspects - apache 1.3.x, postfix, msql, ftpd, etc.

If you guys could comment on whether 64bit is stable enough for production, and whether there is any significant performance advantage to using it over 32bit.

Thanks guys!

Janl
25th May 2007, 08:04 PM
Using 64-bit is stable. Has been for awhile. The problems/headaches come from the fact that some software (ie. Flash) doesn't have a 64bit variant, so you end up having to have both 32bit and 64bit bits installed.

TVYack.com
25th May 2007, 08:16 PM
Using 64-bit is stable. Has been for awhile. The problems/headaches come from the fact that some software (ie. Flash) doesn't have a 64bit variant, so you end up having to have both 32bit and 64bit bits installed.

Thanks Janl. I tried centOS a couple of years back (late 2005) 64bit version and it was a disaster. I put this on a dual xeon 2.8ghz and had nothing but problems. I have since veered away from 64bit installs, and centOS in particular.

I have however, been using fedora4 32bit on a dual opteron system for over a year now and its been like a rock.

Is there any major performance increases in the 64bit versus 32bit for my major apps? Apache 1.3x, mysql, php 5.

All opinions appreciated - and if you could link me to a good benchmark, that would be even better!

Thanks,

Luc