PDA

View Full Version : GNOME / KDE gone, X11 works

msaiz55
24th May 2007, 11:04 PM
I too am suffering from the case of missing Xmanagers. Only days ago life and Fedora 5 was good -- had both Gnome and KDE installed and running. I could switch back and forth no problema!! :)
Then, I go to use my nice Linux box and it seems the Gnome session is hung... Okay no problem, I reboot and everything comes back except the Gnome or KDE sessions. The TWM session is only thing available... Okay, I go to several Internet places (as I am learning about Linux/ Fedora) include this wonderful site! I try "yum install ..", as recommended from some other threads. Does not work, still TWM. Okay I do "yum groupremove ..." and reinstall using "yum installgroup.." and still samething -- TWM!! I even tried "switchdesktop ..." , says it does but still TWM!! :mad:

Please help a poor lowly, half newbie!!
Thanks

leigh123linux
24th May 2007, 11:13 PM
Can you post the output from these commands

cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Erased

cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Installed | grep kde

cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Installed | grep gnome

msaiz55
25th May 2007, 01:33 AM
Ok, here are the logs you asked for...

But I also noticed that SAMBA disappeared on my system too!! No problem there, just re-installed and everything is back! WHAT THE H$%^ IS GOING ON?? :confused:

Oh, I did use the gnome-panel to reinstall gnome and kde, but now not even the default TWM is coming up! Hmmm :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your kind assistance...

leigh123linux
25th May 2007, 01:55 AM
ok try this

su -
yum remove gdm
yum group install "GNOME Desktop Environment"

RupertPupkin
25th May 2007, 03:15 AM
yum install WindowMaker

msaiz55
25th May 2007, 05:21 AM
Thanks, leigh123, that worked. Even though the "yum groupinstall..." said "nothing to do", I guess the removal of gdm fixed the problem. I did notice a new and different look to the login splash screen. Any idea as to what might have happened?

RupertPupkin - After a couple of days of stability I will also try the ..WindowMaker. Is that another window manager?

Thanks again!!