PDA

View Full Version : Need help with xorg.conf

gobot31
20th May 2007, 08:54 PM
I installed Fedora Core 6 on an old Dell Inspiron 8000 and ran into problems right from the start. During the installation process the video mode switched and I ended up with a screen that was divided by 3 (made the install very difficult). After the first boot I remembered that I could attach a CRT to my laptop and switch between LCD & CRT. I could at least see enough of the screen now to get through the initial start up. Anyway, I visited the forum and saw several posts that advised changing the "Device" Driver in the xorg config file to "vesa". This worked great! I ended up with a 1400x1050 resolution that worked for me. I now had video on my laptop's LCD.

Now the REAL problem! When I Log on as a standard user, I have a good 1400x1050 display, but when I log on as the "Super User - root" I end up with 640x480 mess (unreadable) in the middle of my LCD screen. Looks like the syncs are out of wack.
This does not make any sense to me... there is only one "xorg.conf" file. What am I missing here? All suggestions are welcome.

<<Ray>>

leigh123linux
20th May 2007, 09:08 PM
I think screen resolution is a user preference i.e each user gets to choose there own screen resolution.

look in preferences in the menu while logged in as root and choose the screen resolution

gobot31
20th May 2007, 09:29 PM
The only problem is that I cannot see anything (screen is distorted beyond readable) when logged in as root. What is the name of the file where the preferences are stored?

Dies
20th May 2007, 10:29 PM
Not sure but post your xorg.conf so we can see what your global settings are. Also what graphics card is used in this machine.

gobot31
21st May 2007, 08:26 AM
My laptop video card is an ATI Mobility M4 AGP.
Keep in mind that I can log in as a user with no problem (resolution=1400x1050)
and when I log in as Super User (root) I get a 640x480 distorted box in the center of my screen.
Thanks for any and all help or advise.
<<Ray>>

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"