PDA

View Full Version : vlc-0.8.6b-15.fc6.i386.rpm rocks

RVF16
20th May 2007, 05:34 PM
Hallo to all.

I have been using VLC for some time now and am satisfied with it as many others .
The thing is that when i upgraded to 0.8.6b-1 livna version a few things went wrong :
1. multiple specifications errors in boot and every 'make' execution
2. crushing of firefox when playing wmv files (had the same version mozilla plugin installed)
3. denying second playback of the same flash video without restarting VLC

To resolve the 1st go here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154595&highlight=vlc+multiple+specifications
where sideways leads the way to victory.

The 2nd and 3rd are resolved by uninstalling both VLC and Mozilla-plugin and installing from http://rpm.pbone.net or wherever else you can find the following releases :

vlc-0.8.6b-15.fc6.i386.
vlc-plugin-0.8.6b-15.fc6.i386.rpm

They work like a charm for me and i hope they do so for you.
Just wanted to share.
Regards.

RVF16
21st May 2007, 01:18 PM
Me and my big mouth.
There is a problem with DVD playback, it searches for audio CD.
Oh well it is in bleeding stage after all.

RVF16
22nd May 2007, 06:10 PM
OK i should point out that its not vlc rensosible for this problem.
According to most after a kernel or something else update the automount and playback of DVD movies is gone.
I probably didn't notice this as i haven't played back a dvd movie in Fedora for sometime now.
I am searching in the forums for possible solution yet with no luck.
Regards.

tw2113
22nd May 2007, 10:40 PM
i just keep delaying updating VLC for the time being.

Wayne
23rd May 2007, 12:08 AM
OK i should point out that its not vlc rensosible for this problem.
According to most after a kernel or something else update the automount and playback of DVD movies is gone.
I probably didn't notice this as i haven't played back a dvd movie in Fedora for sometime now.
I am searching in the forums for possible solution yet with no luck.
Regards.

It's a well reported bug and there are a couple of threads already on the topic. If you can't play your DVD with VLC then try Xine (after installing libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread, libdvdplay, etc)

Wayne

RVF16
23rd May 2007, 03:09 PM
Hallo to all.
Thanks for the replies.

The latest vlc from 'at' works fine.
The well reported bug is another thing.
I have tried out everything (vlc, xine, totem-xine, mplayer) with all necessary (libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread, libdvdplay, xine-lib, xine-lib-devel,, xine-lib-extras,xine-lib-moles, mencoder).
Nothing works.
In gnome there is no selection for the DVD. On Desktop there is no icon. In terminal neither of the media players can access the DVD.
CD audio and data as well as DVD data is recognized just fine.

In the forums there is no solution yet.
Hope someone figures this out.
Anyway thanks.

Janl
23rd May 2007, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately the solution to your problem is going to be "upgrade to Fedora 7". I doubt that this will ever get resolved in FC6 at this point. It is a long standing issue and with F7 near release now (and the issue has been resolved in F7/rawhide) I doubt it'll be fixed in FC6.

RVF16
23rd May 2007, 04:18 PM
You cannot be serious.
There was a time i could playback DVD movies, it was just automount never working.
It got broken after an update, don't know which one.
I don't care at all about automount but the DVD movies playback is a must.
They cannot let FC6 without DVD movies playback.

RVF16
23rd May 2007, 07:30 PM
OK, you are not going to believe this.
I booted on WinXP and its the same there as well.
Having no other option i run AGAIN the firmware update ver1.07 on my NEC DVD 4550 and rebooted.
Now i can view in both WinXP and Fedora only one dvd movie i downloaded as ISO file and burnt myself (completely legitimate ...ha ha). All others are gone in both systems (now that's a first).
I mean what the heck happened since, in WinXP, DVD movies playback was working without problems.

RVF16
23rd May 2007, 10:22 PM
I updated my DVD NEC up to 1.09 original NEC firmware with no luck.
I don't know what's going on.
I have been informed there is a way with sophisticated software to manage such resaults which according to some people have to do with DVD region code protection or similar. Cannot imagine which package upgrade did this.
I'll try this DVD player-recorder in another machine to make sure its the device.

RVF16
26th May 2007, 03:28 PM
So the DVD Recorder - Player works the same way in all different PCs so it has to be a hardware problem.
It reads and plays DATA, AUDIO and movies i have burnt from ISOs myself.
Legal DVD movies i have rent or older burnt disks are either recognized or not according to unknown factor.
Maybe it doesn't like the disks and not what they include but it worked fine a month ago.
I also tried out every firmware flash update for this device Original and RPC. It once recognized a previously unreadable disk but when i ejected it and reentered it could no longer see it.

I guess its bye bye to the NEC ND4550A.