PDA

View Full Version : FC5 package management broken

marco75
20th May 2007, 12:18 PM
I have tried yum, kyum, yumex, that thing with the puppy (puir?), and synaptic. None of them work reliably.

Kyum will take forever to display the list, and often will freeze.

Synaptic segfaults all the time, or gives me errors like "too many symlinks in path"

Yumex and puir didn't work at all from the get-go.

I read in reviews FC6 is just as bad -- I thought after a decade of Linux, they would get this working by now. It defies common sense that the new releases of FC have stuff broken that worked earlier. Why do they bother releasing a new version every 6 months. Wouldn't it make more sense to hang back, and fix the bugs of the last release, rather than push ahead?

Now I can't add new software to my system... Should I just dump it and try another distro, or is there any way to salvage it?

I have tried 'rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*, rpm --rebuilddb, yum clean all', after the rpm cleanup, synaptic agrees to work for a bit... and then segfaults again.

leigh123linux
20th May 2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have a solution to your problem as you have tried all the things I would recommend.

Why do they bother releasing a new version every 6 months. Wouldn't it make more sense to hang back, and fix the bugs of the last release, rather than push ahead?

I would like to see a yearly release cycle :cool:

If you want a distro recommendation try

1. CentOS 5

or

2. Debian Etch

They are both reliable ,rock solid and with good package management ( Debian is 100% on this and has the edge on CentOS )

Just a thought , I dont reboot that often ( I Normally use Debian ) but like to keep my other yum based distros up to date.
I use Yum in debian to do this i.e I use debian to update CentOS

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=789627&postcount=7

JN4OldSchool
20th May 2007, 01:16 PM
I have tried yum, kyum, yumex, that thing with the puppy (puir?), and synaptic. None of them work reliably.

Kyum will take forever to display the list, and often will freeze.

Synaptic segfaults all the time, or gives me errors like "too many symlinks in path"

Yumex and puir didn't work at all from the get-go.

I read in reviews FC6 is just as bad -- I thought after a decade of Linux, they would get this working by now. It defies common sense that the new releases of FC have stuff broken that worked earlier. Why do they bother releasing a new version every 6 months. Wouldn't it make more sense to hang back, and fix the bugs of the last release, rather than push ahead?

Now I can't add new software to my system... Should I just dump it and try another distro, or is there any way to salvage it?

I have tried 'rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*, rpm --rebuilddb, yum clean all', after the rpm cleanup, synaptic agrees to work for a bit... and then segfaults again.

I hate when people blame the software. Either learn how to use it or move on. Works fine for me.

Wayne
20th May 2007, 01:30 PM
I hate when people blame the software. Either learn how to use it or move on. Works fine for me.

Beat me to it JN4. Funny how it works for everyone else. When in doubt point the finger!

Wayne

leigh123linux
20th May 2007, 01:36 PM
I have just checked your previous posts , This is not a fresh install is it ( you have updated from a previous version to FC5 ) !!?

Wayne
20th May 2007, 01:37 PM
I have just checked your previous posts , This is not a fresh install is it ( you have updated from a previous version to FC5 ) !!?

Sigh!!! :(

Wayne