PDA

View Full Version : Java Support

ttx336
19th May 2007, 04:35 PM
I am new to Linux but I have quite a lot of experience with other operating systems. I am trying to enable Java support for Mozilla, I have followed the instructions from Java as best I can but have had no luck. So far I have downloaded the latest file from Java, jre-6u1-linux-i586-rpm.bin, switched to the command line mode, created a java directory under /usr changed the permission so it could be executed, installed it, received the "DONE" message, next I went on to the Enable and Configure section. I created the symbolic link to the plugin as instructed and tested the installation but I still get the error message that there is a missing plugin. I have also tried copying the libjavaplugin_oji.so file to the mozilla/plugins directory, etc.

I see that there are two mozilla driectories under /usr/lib though, one is mozilla and the other is mozilla-1.7.12, I have tried working with both of them to no avail. Also, when I use the Help/About I see that Mozilla reports 1.5.0.1 I expected to see 1.7.12 since there is a mozilla-1.7.12 name.

After I made the symbolic link I used the ls command and observed that there was this name that was flashing red, it was libjavaplugin.oji.so which only varied slightly from the original filename of libjavaplugin_oji.so, just the underscore changed to a dot. Does this flashing red indicate a problem?

I am disappointed that this had taken so much effort, I had hoped I would like using Linux but so far this has been frustrating. I really hate Windows and am trying to make a switch, I would appreciate any help.

Regards, Gary

Alex135
19th May 2007, 04:43 PM
Well i have found that this page ( http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html )
Works great for instructions for FC6 even though it was intended for FC5.
It doens't work perfectly, but some java aps do work.
Some dont however, but its better to have some then none right?
good luck

- Alex135

Wayne
20th May 2007, 12:27 AM
Well i have found that this page ( http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html )
Works great for instructions for FC6 even though it was intended for FC5.
It doens't work perfectly, but some java aps do work.
Some dont however, but its better to have some then none right?
good luck

- Alex135

I updated it for FC6 and Java 1.6:

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html#Java

Wayne

Iron_Mike
20th May 2007, 02:05 AM
Here is another one in case your interested:

http://www.mjmwired.net/

doss
20th May 2007, 07:25 AM
Here is another one in case your interested:

http://www.mjmwired.net/

thats actually the one i used and it worked great! BUT i recommend wayne's cause he rocks! :D

Wayne
20th May 2007, 07:35 AM
thats actually the one i used and it worked great! BUT i recommend wayne's cause he rocks! :D

Only after a few beers :D

Wayne

Iron_Mike
20th May 2007, 01:56 PM

Wayne has a groupie........... :eek:

ttx336
20th May 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks, I'll give this updated one a try, I tried the earlier one but it did not work for me. I did figure out that the symbolic links flash red if I don't create them properly. I installed everything, created the symbolic link (symlink?), but still Java does not give me the indication that I have it installed.

Gary

Wayne
21st May 2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks, I'll give this updated one a try, I tried the earlier one but it did not work for me. I did figure out that the symbolic links flash red if I don't create them properly. I installed everything, created the symbolic link (symlink?), but still Java does not give me the indication that I have it installed.

Gary

If you use my updated Stanton Finley notes, be aware that Java has been updated since I wrote them to jre1.6.0_01. My notes are for jre1.6.0, so make any necessary changes to pathnames during install. Thanks to Bob for letting me know about the Java update, I've been busy with 人生 (as my youngest son says when I ask him what he's doing) and haven't paid attention to what's new. I'll update my pages later today or tomorrow.

Edit: if anyone is using jre1.6.0 and wants to install jre1.6.0_01 just delete the java plugin from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and wherever else you have it and go through the instructions again, modifying the pathnames for the new version. Once done you can just delete the jre1.6.0 tree from /opt. If there's a better way I'd like to know.

Edit2: The file to download from Sun is jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin

Wayne

ttx336
21st May 2007, 03:42 AM
Wayne,

Thanks, I was about to alert you to the _01 discrepancy. Along with being new to Fedora/Linux, I am also new to forums so if I am answering or asking questions incorrectly please tell me so I can learn.

I have gotten a step further now since Java now reports that I have it installed. However, the radio station I am trying to listen to (that is how all of this got started) still nags me with an error that I am missing a plugin, unfortunately, it does not tell me which one. Not much help. The station is http://1069thepoint.com/listen/ if that helps.

For my education please, what is yum?

Thanks for your help, I am really trying to abandon Windows am I am happy to be using command-line again. I have been teaching myself Linux via a Dummies book but I need to go a step further now as it is very very limited in listing the commands that are available. Could you recommend another resource? Book or website is fine but I kinda prefer book 'cuz I'm old-school.

Gary

ttx336
21st May 2007, 03:48 AM
Wayne,

I should add that I stopped after creating the symlink, as far as I know I am not running any of the applications listed that require the additional instructions but maybe the radio station uses something that requires more than what I did.

Gary

Wayne
21st May 2007, 03:48 AM
yum is the command line installer for Fedora. It's what the GUI tools use behind the scenes. Most of us prefer it because if you get an error the message will say more than it would in the GUI tool.

For that site you need to install Flash 9. Instructions on my page.

I must run now, good luck.

Wayne

Iron_Mike
21st May 2007, 04:00 AM
Wayne,

I should add that I stopped after creating the symlink, as far as I know I am not running any of the applications listed that require the additional instructions but maybe the radio station uses something that requires more than what I did.

Gary

Please give a link to the radio station as it might be something more than java causing the issues.....

ttx336
21st May 2007, 04:33 AM
Iron_Mike,

I listed the link in Post #10 above. I was able to do the first two steps of the instructions in the Fedora Core Installation Notes http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html#Java Yum section but when I tried the third step, I got an error from gedit. I looked for the macromedia.repo in the yum.repos.d directory but it was not there. However, I ran the yum -y install flash-plugin instruction under the Flash section, that seemed to go ok, but I am not sure that I would know otherwise.

Anyway, the radio station website still reports there is a plugin needed. Man, this is so frustrating!

Gary

Wayne
22nd May 2007, 02:40 AM
I can't get that station to do anything but play a Flash advertisement for a car dealer! If you click on the 'Listen' link a new window/tab pops up but doesn't render properly in Firefox OR Opera. I'd find another station if I were you :)

Wayne