PDA

View Full Version : Questions after F6 setup, network, some crashes, misc

nitz
19th May 2007, 01:22 AM
Hello!

Some years ago I used a lot Slackware (7 to 10.1), got used to the pkgtool, doing everything manually etc.

I gave a try on Slackware 11 which I didn't like because out-of-date software, some libs, lack of support of 64bits and a headache to get the system setup. For the first time in my life I tried something other than Windows/Slackware/FreeBSD... I tried Ubuntu x86_64, had many problems because it wouldn't support many 32 bits applications, and it was just too easy, I don't like it too automatized *lol*.

I finally installed Fedora Core 6 x86_64, the main problem I encontered was the nvidia driver that is incompatible (nv VS 6600gt), but its all solved now. I googled a lot but I do still have some questions :(

#1 - Network

I couldn't find a easy way to configure my network, unfurtunally I lost a neat guide on how to configure IPTABLES. I need to port forward some ports to another computer connected to mine.

Cable Modem > Fedora PC(192.168.0.1) > (192.168.0.2)Windows 2003 Server (HTTP, Game Server, SMTP, MySQL)

I need to forward some ports to this computer... 27017 TCP+UDP, 27020 UDP, 25 TCP, 8080 TCP, 2035 UDP. I tried to do it with Firestarter but couldn't figure out how to do it. I also need the rules to be set when I start the computer, which I used to do using a script on Slackware.

On Fedora my external IP starts with 189, on Windows and other distributions it starts with 201 or 200 :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

How can I get the Gnome Network icon on the traybar like Ubuntu? I've downloaded gnone-netstatus package but I can't find how to add it there, it's really useful to me as it glows when there is some network activity.

#2 Graphics

I installed the kmod-nvidia modules for x86_64 but with some beryl settings like Snapping Windows the computer freezes, not only the X, I need to restart it all. The rest of Beryl is working fine!

#3 Games

Running Quake 3 and Doom 3 great! I also run Steam on wine playing Counter-Strike, the performace isn't that great but still playable, can't play source games on wine though.

My main problem comes to cedega, I downloaded and compiled it from CVS, everything runs fine except that when Half-Life or Counter-Strike is loading the game or downloading the sounds it freezes and I need to kill the X with ctrl+alt+backspace. Is there a way to make a hotkey that kill all cedega processes on Gnome? Or even solve it? (Later I downloaded the version 6 rpm on eMule and got the same problems).

Is there a way to use alt+tab with full screen games? I'm really used to it, as I like to be on messenger or listening music while playing. Doesn't seem to work on Gnome.

Here is my Xorg file:

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "GLCore"
Load "dri"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "abnt2"
Option "XkbLayout" "br"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

My PC:
Athlon FX57, Geforce 6600GT, Asus A8V-Deluxe, 2GB Ram, 2x250GB Sata

I'm sorry if any questions above were discussed before, I solved many problems using the search tool on google and forums but I'm really having these problems that I couldn't solve yet. Thank you