PDA

View Full Version : Are live folders like in vista exist in fedora (nautilus)

markg85
18th May 2007, 05:39 PM
Hey,

look here:
http://www.realtime-vista.com/general/2007/02/live_folder_icons.htm

or just the image:
http://www.realtime-vista.com/live-folders-sm.jpg

Is something like this existing in the linux world? specially for fedora, because that`s the os i use a.t.m..

incase it`s not existing.. how would you make something like this? is it done like this:
1. Grab a folders back image
2. put the "new" images infront of it
3. overlay the folder front (transparent in some cases)
4. compile the final image
done?

markg85
19th May 2007, 03:20 PM
anyone please?

Dies
19th May 2007, 05:03 PM
Nope, nothing like that.

It looks kind of cool in that shot but in reality it seems kind of stupid, I mean am I going to have a bunch of folders with folders sticking out of them? lol.

mlavalle
19th May 2007, 05:55 PM
It's a neat feature, I think it would be nice to see that added at some point. I like the way Gnome generates a thumbnail of a scene in a video, this would be a great follow-up to that.

JN4OldSchool
19th May 2007, 06:01 PM
I can live without it, but I would like to see the ability to turn open windows on an angle. More of a 3D dimension to the desktop itself. The looking glass project has this also, in fact I prefer what they are doing over Vista. In the end it is all just eye candy though. But I could write a 10 page essay on how Beryl has made me more productive.

Wayne
20th May 2007, 12:24 AM
I can live without it, but I would like to see the ability to turn open windows on an angle. More of a 3D dimension to the desktop itself. The looking glass project has this also, in fact I prefer what they are doing over Vista. In the end it is all just eye candy though. But I could write a 10 page essay on how Beryl has made me more productive.

I liked the OS/2 way of doing things, each folder would have two icons associated with it, one closed and the other open, or in the case of the 'computer' icon on your desktop, it would have a dark screen (closed) and a light screen (open). That way when you double-clicked any folder you'd get visual feedback and wouldn't make the mistake of opening the same folder again. Also, when you double-clicked a program icon it would have 'hash lines' running through it to show it was running. It was little touches like this that made it a pleasure to use.

Wayne

Dan
20th May 2007, 12:47 AM
Hmmm.

My opinion?

If you convince somebody to do this, please make sure they do it to KDE rather than Gnome. It's already a mess. Can't hurt it. <..:p..>

All kidding aside, just how bloated do you want this thing (Gnome) to get? The more hunky-dorey toys like this you add, the slower it gets, and the bigger the footprint gets. Thumbnailing already takes a fair amount of time and resources. This would add complexity and load that just aren't needed.

Of course, you could always just go ahead and create your own distro/window manager that does all that. (and spruces yum up to your expectations too!) I'd like to see it when you get done. I'm betting it'll be some world class eyecandy!

Dan

jdeslip
20th May 2007, 05:58 AM
I like the idea - seems pretty nice. I am usually up for more bloat... I see nothing wrong with adding features with the ability to turn them off if what you desire is the best performance.

I bet after Gnome adds this feature, Microsoft ups their number to 236, though ;)