PDA

View Full Version : firefox + flash = alsa busy

drhilbert
18th May 2007, 01:41 PM
Dear all!
I'm reporting you an annoying problem I'm dealing with since some time. Every time a flash applet is playing a sound (even a very simple "beep") within firefox, the alsa device gets locked and the only way to have audio back to other programs is to close firefox.

Here is a list of the relevant installed packages:

firefox-2.0.0.3-4.fc7.i386
flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-1.i386
alsa-lib-1.0.14-0.1.rc1.fc6.i386

and my sound card:

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Do you know any workaround?

Thanks for helping!

ciao ciao

tuxcantfly
19th May 2007, 02:33 AM
You might want to try starting firefox with "aoss" - the alsa-oss wrapper; install it first, then:

aoss firefox

Though, of course, Flash 9 should have detected and used ALSA, instead of OSS, so that might not be solution to this problem, just a suggestion... You might also want to stop any sound daemons (jackd, esd, artsd) and try again...

erroneus
21st June 2007, 10:24 PM
I have has the same problem... still do. Surely there is a better solution that prepending "aoss" to the beginning of the firefox command...?

Seve
21st June 2007, 10:47 PM
Hello:
Are you using KDE ?

Seve

erroneus
21st June 2007, 10:57 PM
No, I'm using GNOME. I don't understand why any of that should be an issue. The Flash plugin should behave better than this.

Seve
21st June 2007, 11:20 PM
No, I'm using GNOME. I don't understand why any of that should be an issue. The Flash plugin should behave better than this.
Hello:
The reason I asked about KDE as it has been known in the past [arts] to be hanging around and blocking other audio apps/devices.

The flashplugin I have installed here is Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31
and I have no problems with it.

Seve

drhilbert
22nd June 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm using KDE but it seems not to be the problem. And the funny thing is that on my laptop (a DELL D610) I have the same software configuration and ICH6 and flash is perfectly working. On the desktop I have ICH7 and it is not!

I've also reported a bug to alsa, but they claim that if it is working with ICH6 it has to work with ICH7

Any other ideas?

ramasees
22nd June 2007, 07:21 AM
i dont know if this will help at all, but i have intel High Definition Audio Controller and the way i solved mine was to download the latest alsa (14rc4)driver and configured it like:=
./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
make
make install

now my sounds works properly and doesnt crash alsa mixer