PDA

View Full Version : Commands for installing srpms!!

visham
18th May 2007, 08:02 AM
Hi to all,

I wanted to know what commands do we use to install an srpm version of a package.

Warm regards,
Visham

daihard
18th May 2007, 08:06 AM
$ rpmbuild --rebuild xxxx.src.rpm

visham
18th May 2007, 10:18 AM
Many thx for the reply...

rogueeve
18th May 2007, 11:03 PM
However I believe rpmbuild is for if you have written a program and want to make an RPM for it...srpms that you download are installed in the same way as regular rpms, with "rpm -i [packagename]".

daihard
19th May 2007, 05:52 PM
However I believe rpmbuild is for if you have written a program and want to make an RPM for it...srpms that you download are installed in the same way as regular rpms, with "rpm -i [packagename]".
It will come down to the same thing. Running "rpm -i" on a source RPM (or SRPM) will break down the components inside it and copy them on the appropriate subdirectories under the build tree (i.e. /usr/src/redhat by default). For instance, the spec file will be copied under /usr/src/redhat/SPECS, the source tarball will be under /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, etc.

If you take that route, you will still need to run "rpmbuild" to rebuild the package whicih you can then install on your Linux distribution. To do so, you will use the "rpmbuild -bb <spec_file>" command.

So it's just a matter of how many steps you want to take. :)