PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Software ? (command line)

LisaMontero
18th May 2007, 02:54 AM
I am looking to backup my DVD collection (home movies). I have a DVD writer that will do DVD+R dual layer (what I will be burning to).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend software that will let me burn a DVD to an .iso on my hard drive. I would like to use a command line only interface that will let me specify the output directory.

I am looking for something simple to use that will use DeCSS, and create a .iso of highest quality (no compression on the DVD or on the features.

I have DVD authoring software on windows (GUI) but it seems like a bit more work than putting a DVD in, firing up a shell and creating a .iso.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. What is the best out there? if any.

Thanks

Lisa

daihard
18th May 2007, 03:45 AM
I use the simple command-line program called dvdbackup. It uses DeCSS to read encrypted DVDs and extract the files. In order to make an ISO image out of the files, you can use mkisofs.

The only issue is that nobody seems to be maintaining dvdbackup. As the result, it doesn't work with the version of libdvdread shipped with Fedora Core 5/6. I have modified it so it works with dvdbackup on FC6. If you wish, I'll be happy to share it with you.

Dai

nuts
18th May 2007, 03:57 AM
I use the simple command-line program called dvdbackup. It uses DeCSS to read encrypted DVDs and extract the files. In order to make an ISO image out of the files, you can use mkisofs.

The only issue is that nobody seems to be maintaining dvdbackup. As the result, it doesn't work with the version of libdvdread shipped with Fedora Core 5/6. I have modified it so it works with dvdbackup on FC6. If you wish, I'll be happy to share it with you.

Dai

I would be very interested in that...

ljos
18th May 2007, 04:40 AM
see this thread for dvdbackup:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135665

Attached file in post#10.

daihard
18th May 2007, 04:53 AM
see this thread for dvdbackup:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135665

Attached file in post#10.
Did you change the dvdbackup source (dvdbackup.c) so it doesn't use UDFFindFile(), the offending function, anymore? If so, I'd be very interested in knowing which function can be used to replace UDFFindFile(). Without having that knowledge, I resorted to change libdvdread so UDFFindFile() would be exported again.

daneel971
18th May 2007, 06:57 AM
I once found the needed patch for dvdbackup on a debian mailing list - but since vobcopy does exactly the same and works perfectly, why bother?

scotta3234
18th May 2007, 07:11 AM
If you do some searching on the forum I believe Jim has also made a command line version of dvdshrink for linux.

-Ahh i see where you said no compression of the dvd... but it's still a nice cml tool :D

ljos
22nd May 2007, 12:24 AM
I attached the modified source. I didn't make these changes - just found a SuSe rpm and re-built for Fedora.

daihard
22nd May 2007, 04:43 AM
I attached the modified source. I didn't make these changes - just found a SuSe rpm and re-built for Fedora.
Great! Looks like whoever modified it knows which DVD functions need to be used to implement the functionality of UDFFindFile(). I appreciate your sharing the file with me.

Dai

LisaMontero
25th May 2007, 09:53 AM
Yes, please share!

Wangberg
27th May 2007, 03:53 AM
do you know of any good methods to compress the backup, so it can be stored on a single layer DVD ?

daneel971
27th May 2007, 07:39 AM
k9copy or lxdvdrip

LisaMontero
29th May 2007, 08:54 AM
I have yet to download and try any of the solutions as I am working on setting up a dedicated work area to do the DVD backups. It seems some of the solutions offer only compressed results or some software is out of date. What is being maintained the most in the Fedora/Linux community these days?

Maybe I could contribute some code somewhere but would not know where to begin on DVD formats or how to programatically read a DVD.

thanks

LM