PDA

View Full Version : phonoripper

crosscountry
17th May 2007, 05:27 PM
I would like to digitize my vinyl albums and have read many good things about phonoripper. lots of people seem to be using it. I can't get it to work on my FC5 system. I believe I have installed everything the author says I need (tcl, tkinter, normalize, snack, Python, Pwm). SnackAmp works but when I try to run phonoripper I get

Loading Tk...
Checking if Tkimg is installed... no
trying to find snackAmp libs...
/usr/lib/snackAmp/lib... no
/usr/local/lib/snackAmp/lib... no
Unable to find Tk image library; in case PhonoRipper failed to detect installed snackAmp libraries, set the environment variable SNACKAMP_LIB_DIR to the location of snackAmp's libraries.

Exporting the environment variable to either of the locations where I find snackAmp stuff (/usr/bin, /usr/lib/tcl) does me no good.

So what is phonoripper looking for that I don't have??
If it's tkimg that is the problem, yum finds no such thing and even google strikes out.

I'm sure I'll feel like a real newbie when someone explains this to me, but I'm getting used to that. Thanks in advance.

leigh123linux
17th May 2007, 05:36 PM
try

su -
yum install tk tk-devel

crosscountry
17th May 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I did as you suggested, things were installed, but I still get the same result.

leigh123linux
17th May 2007, 06:35 PM
PhonoRipper

PhonoRipper leads you comfortably through all steps of creating an audio-CD from analog sources like vinyl records or tape cassettes:

* sound file recorder with built-in level meter and mixer, fully buffered recording with both ALSA and OSS drivers.
* easy splitting of recorded album sides into tracks with automatic track-detection and graphical marking of track borders.
* automatic normalizing of volumes of recordings from different sources for mix CD's.
* intuitive drag'n'drop CD-writing gui with CD-text editing support and TrackType.org CD-database interface.
* built-in html help browser.
* Batteries are included: no compilation necessary.

logo
Requirements
A few dependencies must be fulfilled so that Phonoripper will be able to work:

* Python >= 2.3 and Tkinter must be installed on your system.
* Tcl/Tk >= 8.4 (all these should come with any recent distribution).
* The TkTreeCtrl (http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/) Tk extension (v 2.1 or higher); for your convenience the Python wrapper module TkinterTreectrl is included in PhonoRipper.
* The TKImg (http://tkimg.sourceforge.net/) Tk extension for PNG image support; this is included in many distros (look for a package like tk-imaging, img-tk, libtk-img or something similar). In case your distribution does not offer TkImg, you may also use the one that comes with the snackAmp sound file player (this seems to be the case for Mandriva).
* Pmw (Python Mega Widgets) v. 1.2 (Pmw homepage).
* snack >= 2.2.2 (www.speech.kth.se/snack); your distribution's package might be called "snack" or "libsnack" or something similar.
* automatic volume adjustment requires normalize .
* for CD-writing you will need cdrdao which should be included in any recent distribution.

crosscountry
24th May 2007, 02:16 AM
Yes, thanks for your time on this. Two things regarding tkimg; first, the link (above) to the tkimg home page takes us to a page that says it has not been updated since Jan 2001. The link on that page takes us to a Redhat public ftp folder that no longer exists. Redhat says things from long ago have been moved to a ftp archive. All my trolling about in the archives turns up no sign of tkimg. Second, I think I can live without tkimg, it's only needed for album art if we want to print CD cases.

The real problem seems to be tktreectrl. I downloaded tktreectrl-2.2.3.tar.gz and un-compressed it to a temp location. Did a ./configure and a make on it. Run phonoripper again and it still says it can't find package treectrl. It gives me all this, and all the files mentioned here are in fact in the directories specified:

Loading modules...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/phonoripper", line 318, in ?
main()
File "/usr/local/bin/phonoripper", line 263, in main
ConfigDialog.initialize(root)
File "/usr/local/share/phonoripper-0.9.6/ConfigDialog.py", line 564, in initialize
_dialog = ConfigDialog(tkroot)
File "/usr/local/share/phonoripper-0.9.6/ConfigDialog.py", line 185, in __init__
columns=(_('Device-ID'), _('Model')))
File "/usr/local/share/phonoripper-0.9.6/widgets/MultiListbox.py", line 10, in __init__
tree_xscrollincrement=5)
File "/usr/local/share/phonoripper-0.9.6/widgets/ScrolledTree.py", line 35, in __init__
Treectrl, (interior,))
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Pmw/Pmw_1_2/lib/PmwBase.py", line 524, in createcomponent
widget = apply(widgetClass, widgetArgs, kw)
File "/usr/local/share/phonoripper-0.9.6/TkTreectrl/Treectrl.py", line 278, in __init__
self.TreectrlVersion = master.tk.call('package', 'require', 'treectrl')
_tkinter.TclError: can't find package treectrl

I don't know what to make of this because it looks to me like everything it is looking for is in the right place. At this point I think I may have wasted enough time. I had thought I could save time by using an application that would do the track splitting for me, rather than doing it myself in Audacity. Audacity is looking good right now though; worked from the word go, no muss no fuss.

Thanks again.

offcenter77
24th May 2007, 06:11 PM
I just use Audacity and set the input to "line in" only. It will create one big file, and then you simply pull it apart and create individual mp3s or oggs from the one big file. I've done this several times from tape.