PDA

View Full Version : NTFS-formatted USB drive error correction

mrcpuhead
17th May 2007, 11:56 AM
Greetings,

I have an NTFS formatted USB drive (Seagate FreeAgent) that consistently has problems on my FC6 machine. Here's a snippet from the errors during a mount operation.
------------------------
$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
made to NTFS by this software.
------------------------
I'm using ntfs-3g.

1. Is there a way to correct the above error w/o using Windows chkdsk - and still retain the data on the drive?

2. The drive has mounted successfully before, and r/w was working fine. However, it consistently reverts to the 'input/output error' state after several hours of inactivity on the drive (I just use it for backups).
Any explanation why this happens?

Thanks!

szaka
17th May 2007, 11:49 PM
The USB drive probably automatically detaches so the volume becomes inconsistent since it weren't cleanly unmounted.

Please send the output of egrep -i 'sda|dma|ntfs|fuse|dev' /var/log/messages. If it's too big to copy-paste here then send it to me at szaka@sienet.hu.

You should be able to fix the problem by running 'ntfsfix /dev/sda1'. You must yum ntfsprogs to do so.

bbobbo
18th May 2007, 04:30 PM
i didn't want to hijack this thread, but i'm experiencing a somewhat related problem with a seagate freeagent drive:

Seagate FreeAgent Desktop USB drive sleeping problems (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155413)

please leave a comment in that thread if you have any ideas.

szaka
18th May 2007, 09:28 PM
i didn't want to hijack this thread, but i'm experiencing a somewhat related problem with a seagate freeagent drive:

Seagate FreeAgent Desktop USB drive sleeping problems (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155413)

please leave a comment in that thread if you have any ideas.
You didn't hijack this thread but in fact you answered it :-) mrcpuhead sent me his log and what's going on is exactly what you said. Note, mrcpuhead also have Seagate FreeAgent drive.

Thanks a lot for this information. I wasn't aware of these drives, it answers the same reported I/O problems. Probably it's a Linux kernel USB bug.

bbobbo
18th May 2007, 09:41 PM
You didn't hijack this thread but in fact you answered it :-) mrcpuhead sent me his log and what's going on is exactly what you said. Note, mrcpuhead also have Seagate FreeAgent drive.

Thanks a lot for this information. I wasn't aware of these drives, it answers the same reported I/O problems. Probably it's a Linux kernel USB bug.

glad i could help! i knew that the problems mrcpuhead was having was related to the freeagent drive spinning down (i searched the forum for "seagate freeagent" and this was the only thread that came up). however, since the subject of his thread was more about correcting ntfs partitions within linux, i thought i should start a separate thread about my problems.