PDA

View Full Version : file system error...HELP

Gallan
17th May 2007, 10:37 AM
yesterday I couldn't start fedora anymore. there is some problem in file system. but I can use rescue cd to boot and I can see my home folder. before I want to try saving my installation I would like to copy my data to usb harddrive or somewhere else. when I plug memory stick or usb harddrive to usb port I get nothing. so what is the easiest way to copy my files?

sideways
17th May 2007, 02:24 PM
Can you post what the error is, it may be fixable. Have you installed a recent kernel by any chance?

Sometimes it's down to selinux and you can append 'selinux=0' to the kernel parameters in grub (hit 'a' at the grub prompt) (also edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set SELINUX=disabled)

Another thing to try is editing /etc/fstab and change the two numbers at the end of the line for the root filesystem to "0 0", this will prevent fsck running at bootup

Gallan
17th May 2007, 07:34 PM
thanks Sideways but I really want to save my files first. Ones I have lost my files because I tried first to save hole system but I don't wana mkae that mistake again :) so how can I copy my files when I use rescuecd?

sideways
17th May 2007, 09:01 PM
Looks like rescue mode isn't recognizing you usb devices.
Normally when you plug the usb stick in it would be called something like /dev/sdb, and you could mount it by typing

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
(assuming you've created mount poiint /mnt/usb ( mkdir /mnt/usb )

Can you boot into single user mode? (hit 'a' at the grub prompt and add 1 to the kernel line)
This will use your current kernel and should recognize the usb devices (plug them in before you boot up)