PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Version

mbrad
17th May 2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I've been using Fedora for about 2 weeks now. I installed and then did updates. Then my PC stopped booting up. I posted here and the suggestion was that I may have downloaded the i586 update as this is a bug with the updater. I went to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common and followed the instructions.

I've checked my versions again, and am not sure if I've solved it as my pc does not boot up, and I have to select the previous version of the kernel at boot up

terminal results:

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort
kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i586
kernel-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.i386

Can someone tell me what else I need to do to get my pc to boot up with the latest kernel?

Thanks,

Brad

nick.stumpos
17th May 2007, 03:50 AM
first you need to get rid of you first kernel rpm -e then make sure grub is pointing at you coorect kernel check your /boot/grub/grub.conf to see what it is

Seve
17th May 2007, 03:50 AM
Hello:
Welcome to the forums :)

If when grub appears and you your are presented with the latest kernel as the default
kernel-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.i686
then you are booting to the correct kernel and you should be good to go.

Seve

mbrad
17th May 2007, 04:06 AM
I think that is what is happening. I'm just downloading some security updates. When that is done I'll re-boot and confirm.

But when I booted up for the first time, I just let it select the default kernel. I assumed that it was the "fixed" version... amd it didn't boot up. I'll double check though

Thanks,

Brad

mbrad
18th May 2007, 12:04 AM
I can't open it. It has the "no smoking" sign through it. I tried to open it through the terminal window, but have no idea how.

Brad

mbrad
18th May 2007, 12:09 AM
I did the updates and then restarted my pc. It booted up. Then I shut down for the night, and tried today. It didn't boot.

AAAHHHHH!