PDA

View Full Version : cant play mp3 after installing vlc

mikebleek
17th May 2007, 02:33 AM
Hi everyone
I have downloaded all the dependencies for vlc to set it up but even after all that hustle still cant get mp3 files to play. Please help to find full dependencies for a mp3 player like xmms for FC5.

Thank you :D

Wayne
17th May 2007, 02:35 AM
And you felt you needed to post the same message twice because....?

Wayne

mikebleek
17th May 2007, 02:45 AM
Sorry for that my connection is kinda slow dint realise.

Wayne
17th May 2007, 02:47 AM

That's OK. Can you go back to the other post and select 'Edit' then delete it then we can concentrate on getting you fixed up in here.

Wayne

Wayne
17th May 2007, 02:56 AM
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

Wayne

mikebleek
17th May 2007, 03:06 AM
Thanx rondonjin for your help.

JN4OldSchool
17th May 2007, 03:10 AM
hey Mike, do you know about yumex? From a terminal type:

su
(root password)
yum install yumex

this will add a graphic frontend to yum. You could have then browsed down to xmms and you would find many plugins including mp3. Very handy.

Wayne
17th May 2007, 03:11 AM
Thanx rondonjin for your help.

I'm surprised that VLC doesn't play your MP3's it usually plays (almost) anything. Anyway, make sure you get the gstreamer-plugins-bad and ugly installed.

Wayne

mikebleek
17th May 2007, 03:30 AM
Thanx guys, av downloaded the gstreamer-plugins-bad. Am at my workplace and i dint carry my laptop with me, i dnt have internet access at home. Nway thanx

Seve
17th May 2007, 03:46 AM
Hello:

And Welcome to the forums :)

Don't mind Wayne ..... his gun toting cat is up to no-good lately and it has him bothered. :eek:

Seve

Wayne
17th May 2007, 03:53 AM
Hello:

And Welcome to the forums :)

Don't mind Wayne ..... his gun toting cat is up to no-good lately and it has him bothered. :eek:

Seve

The hit-cat is having his mid-morning spot of tiffin and doesn't want to be disturbed :eek:

Wayne

11uu
18th May 2007, 08:41 AM
hi,mike,it is ok?
i have the same problem too,and i have fixed it already,look here

http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124137&highlight=vlc+mp3

mikebleek
18th May 2007, 08:56 PM
Hi guys thanx for help, i have fnally connected my laptop and now installing using yum. since all the packages i downloaded were missing some dependencies libraries, even after trying with rmp -Uvh <g..bad-ugly> --nodeps,
still no progress but now i know it works easily with yum install.

Thanx

crolma4
18th May 2007, 11:33 PM
I suggest you use yumex, which makes updates very very easy.
Also, to play mp3s, you need the right codec, which fedora does not provide. There are licensing issues in some countries, so you have to go to livna.org, which seems to have recently experienced problems. When it was healthy, they had super-clear instructions on how to add it as an additional repository. They have the xmms mp3 codec you seek. I'm sure they'll recover soon. see http://rpm.livna.org/