PDA

View Full Version : mp3 vs ogg and avi vs other video codecks

SimplySickOfMS
16th May 2007, 02:16 PM
I have a ton of mp3's and videos of different formats and none work with the player that come with fedora can any one tell me of a good player or way to convert the files to a format that fedora likes?? :confused:

Dies
16th May 2007, 02:29 PM
There's no reason to convert anything, with the right codecs/plugins Fedora will play anything and everything. You can convert if you want but I wouldn't because of the loss of quality that happens when you convert from those formats to something else, a copy of a copy, you know?

In any case see this thread for just about every opinion on how to get multimedia working:

http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154269&highlight=fair

Here's a couple more good threads for beginners :

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=135568

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=97055

A.Serbinski
16th May 2007, 04:19 PM
rpm -ivh http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/6/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm
yum -y install xine
-- to install xine for your architecture. This will handle *most* content, including mp3.

yum -y install mplayerplug-in
-- to install mplayer browser plug-in, which also requires mplayer.

-- if your architecture is i386,
yum -y install mplayer

-- if your architecture is x86_64, download the i386 files and install manually.

The reason you want the i386 version of mplayer is to be able to use 32bit winsucks codecs...
Download this file; http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20061022.tar.bz2 and extract to /usr/lib/codecs, then mplayer (including browser plugin in 32bit firefox) and 32bit xine will be able to play pretty much everything.

As for converting, for video, I'm sure that in most cases you don't want to. Once in a while you come across a file with some weird proprietary format, one that will only play with windoze codecs (ie, in 32bit mplayer and not in xine). In these cases, you might like to convert it to a more reasonable format. The good news is that if it will play in mplayer, it'll convert in mencoder. Here's a howto on mencoder; http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide

For converting audio, REAL simple command from the command line;

lame --decode "input filename.mp3" - | oggenc -o "output filename.ogg" -

If you want to do a bunch of them, you might script them like this;

for FILE in *.mp3
do
lame --decode "$FILE" - | oggenc -o "/newpath/`echo $FILE | sed -e "s/mp3/ogg/"`" -
done

Note that you can add additional options to oggenc to suit your encoding. Vorbis works better at a lower bitrate than MP3, so you can save some space in the conversion without losing much quality.

BTW: AVI is not a codec. Its a container that can contain video of many different formats, including unrecognizable proprietary formats, as well as more common things, like mpeg2. Same with OGG - thats a container format that is usually used to store VORBIS audio.

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 05:53 PM
I have a ton of mp3's and videos of different formats and none work with the player that come with fedora can any one tell me of a good player or way to convert the files to a format that fedora likes?? :confused:

Let me state, that the thread title is rather bad (not in what the thread is about, but in its content). Ogg is not a codec, but format, codec is vorbis. Same for avi - avi is format, while codecs are DivX, XviD, H.264, theora, etc.. (while only theora is open and included in fedora official repos).

And to your question, multimedia which will most probably work in fedora with official repos only, are ogg (for audio), ogm (for video), mkv (matroska audio) for formats and vorbis and theora for codecs. Also, for lossless audio format and codec in one: flac. But it's no good to jump and convert all your old files. You can use one of the 3rd party repos (I like livna) and install gstreamer-plugins-bad, gstreamer-plugins-ugly, xine-lib-extras-nonfree, mplayer, gxine, mplayer-gui, libdvdcss, vcl, etc. (there is no need to install all these, but try what fits your needs best).

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 05:57 PM
The reason you want the i386 version of mplayer is to be able to use 32bit winsucks codecs...
Download this file; http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20061022.tar.bz2 and extract to /usr/lib/codecs, then mplayer (including browser plugin in 32bit firefox) and 32bit xine will be able to play pretty much everything.

It's funny, that I never installed these and never faced an unplayable multimedia. Maybe because for most of the win32 codecs there are already functioning linux alternatives... :)

A.Serbinski
16th May 2007, 06:13 PM
Try playing a wmv file. There is a VERY HIGH chance that any particular wmv file WON'T play without additional codecs installed.

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 06:49 PM
Try playing a wmv file. There is a VERY HIGH chance that any particular wmv file WON'T play without additional codecs installed.

These I have play as well, but I quite dislike wm*s (and so my movies are all in avi, mkv and ogm), so there is a chance that I simply didn't come across the "right one".

Dies
16th May 2007, 09:03 PM
@SimplySickofMS

I would recommend that you don't install the FreshRPM's repo as suggested, since you installed Livna yesterday, if you decide to follow that suggestion then let us know so we can tell you how to disable one or the other, and how to enable them temporarily when you need something.

Having both those repos enabled at the same time is a bad idea and will lead to problems in the future.

JN4OldSchool
16th May 2007, 09:14 PM
I hate to say it but the Fresh repos just need to close. this crap has been going on long enough and it is making me very angry. We need to try to stick with Livna and as a whole steer newcomers that way.

Dies
16th May 2007, 09:23 PM
I hate to say it but the Fresh repos just need to close. this crap has been going on long enough and it is making me very angry. We need to try to stick with Livna and as a whole steer newcomers that way.

I was under the impression that it was agreed to only suggest Livna as a source on this forum, at least every how-to here and most of the help for FC6 assumes that people are using Livna and only Livna.

Just recommending adding in other repos to newcomers without warning them about potential problems is definitely an issue.

Maybe a how-to use multiple repos sticky is in order.

I guess this is how it happens, you know?

Someone new to Fedora just follows others advice and ends up installing a bunch of third party repos not knowing it's an issue then the poor guy has to deal with the cleanup and lectures a couple months from now when some silly conflicts won't let him update his machine or install something.

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 09:25 PM

Hi JN4,

Well, let me state it thus: I've always used livna and always be happy with them, but many people (about half fedorians) use fresh repos and are happy with them as well. Though I support the idea of having livna "official unofficial" repo, I don't understand why are you telling such things about fresh... Are their packages so bad? What's wrong with them? :D

Cheers,

JN4OldSchool
16th May 2007, 09:29 PM
yeah, it's not that there is anything wrong with fresh/dag/dies. I have used them with various Fedora releases. It is just that Livna has ALL the video drivers and codecs and just seems to be neater and cleaner. It has to be one or the other unless you constantly turn repos on and off and update certain things from certain repos only. Not worth the effort, even to the point where I would find another app if I had to just to get away from that mess. Easier to just iron out the conflicts and merge the repos. I wish an agreement could be reached here, it is probably Fedora's biggest stumbling block at this point when you consider all the botched noob installs caused by crossed repos that the person never even knew the problem and just figured Fedora was broken.

Dies
16th May 2007, 09:30 PM
What's wrong with them? :D

The same thing that's wrong with any other third party repos.

Why re-invent the wheel ?

And in some cases make that new wheel incompatible with the rest of the car. :eek:

They could just as easily mirror all the packages that Livna carries and then add their unique packages to the list, wouldn't that be a better solution ?
Wouldn't that allow their volunteers to dedicate time to new packages instead of packaging stuff that's already available.

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 09:38 PM
yeah, it's not that there is anything wrong with fresh/dag/dies. I have used them with various Fedora releases. It is just that Livna has ALL the video drivers and codecs and just seems to be neater and cleaner. It has to be one or the other unless you constantly turn repos on and off and update certain things from certain repos only. Not worth the effort, even to the point where I would find another app if I had to just to get away from that mess. Easier to just iron out the conflicts and merge the repos. I wish an agreement could be reached here, it is probably Fedora's biggest stumbling block at this point when you consider all the botched noob installs caused by crossed repos that the person never even knew the problem and just figured Fedora was broken.

Livna might seem cleaner because it mostly follows (ex-)extras guidelines and many livna packagers are (ex-)extras packagers as well. Also livna suppose you have extras repo enabled. So now, when extras and core are merged livna is going to work as good as before, without problems or conflicts, but fresh? I think they have conflicts even with extras, don't they? If any conflicts with current rawhide packages are sort out I don't see there any reason to not to have there more unofficial repos, as long as they are not enabled together when they have similar stuff. Yet, as I said before, and is said in this forum guidelines as well, better chose livna to work with when helping other people and steer new users this way.

martin.sourada
16th May 2007, 09:47 PM
The same thing that's wrong with any other third party repos.

Why re-invent the wheel ?

And in some cases make that new wheel incompatible with the rest of the car. :eek:
Agreed, but do they really re-invent the wheel? They might have different goals for their packages than livna does, that is not reinventing, that is an alternative, IMHO...

They could just as easily mirror all the packages that Livna carries and then add their unique packages to the list, wouldn't that be a better solution ?
Wouldn't that allow their volunteers to dedicate time to new packages instead of packaging stuff that's already available.
For me and many other people it would be better solution, but there are people who use fresh and dislike livna. There must be a reason, why they didn't do that already. We'll see, how they'll fare after F7 release (with merged extras and core)...

A.Serbinski
17th May 2007, 04:53 AM
I've found too many problems with livna. Sometimes they have packages that supersede official fedora packages, and I have run into too many broken packages with them, and packages that just won't resolve.

However, regardless of which of them one chooses, they definitely should NOT both be installed as they do have packages that WILL conflict with each other. Most of the packages I mentioned in my last post should be available on either.

That all being said, I generally prefer to work directly from source for non-official software, however, I definitely wouldn't recommend this for beginners or non-programmers.

Wayne
17th May 2007, 05:00 AM
Well, I won't use Livna, period. When I got started with FC I followed Stanton Finley's guide and he suggested Freshrpms/Dries over Livna and it's worked perfectly for me and continues to do so. I mainly find it hypocritical that the very people who preach shipping a 'clean' distro also contribute 'dirty' packages to Livna. Either you stick by your principles or you don't, you can't have it both ways.

Wayne

Wayne
17th May 2007, 05:03 AM
No, Freshprms/Dries have problems with Livna, or in truth it's the other way around. Livna won't co-operate with anyone regarding package naming so it's they who are causing the dependency problems. Also, recently they had a broken VLC update on their site, people had to backdate to be able to play their media.

Wayne

martin.sourada
17th May 2007, 07:39 AM
I told ya, there are people who won't go to livna... :D

And you guys saying livna sucks... Err, what packages exactly has conflicts with core ones? AFAIK only totem-xine (I wonder, whether in official repos totem switch to xine backend, as xine-lib is in (ex-)extras) and that's quite logical. I have been using livna for quite a long time, since the beginning of my Fedora experience, and never had any problems with it. They just don't remake packages that are in core/extras/megred fedora.

Broken VLC update? Such things sometimes happen. Even in official fedora repos... You are not limited to it, we have alternatives, I myself have gxine, mplayer and totem-xine and use them all, depending on mood and content.

Dirty content? Well, in Fedora official repos it can't be due to legal reasons. I don't know why should anyone not package lame, ffmpeg, or mplayer, if in most of coutries these are legal. I don't see there any hypocrytics in that. I also prefer clean things, but the only software I try to avoid in principle is closed source - and that's similar to many european fedora package maintainers as well, IMO. While I say It's OK to not have patented stuff in Fedora official repo, it's allright to provide it unofficialy for people who want to use it, as long as it is legally without problems.

And well, livna won't cooperate in package naming? And why should they? Does (ex-)extras do the same? They just follow extras naming guidelines and if someone doesn't agree with this scheme, that is their problem. You are free to contribute or not. Period.

JN4OldSchool
17th May 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, we dont need a repo war. I disagree on the dirty packages also though. Wayne, like it or not people want to watch their DVDs and play their MP3s. Livna isnt Fedora and there is no reason not to offer these packages. As far as the rest? Have you used Livna? Has Fresh never had a screwed up package, caused a problem? It is this stupid petty squabbling that keeps this situation in the same stalemate while new users are having their installs trashed by mixing repos because they dont know any better :( I dont give a damn which repo we use, use Fresh then, as long as they have my nVidia driver and can supply the codecs others need then great. Big whoop. Lets just straighten this crap out though, it is our Achellis heel.