PDA

View Full Version : Some help for newbie moving from OpenSuse to F7

fesahin
16th May 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone,

As I tell in the title, I am a newbie for linux (I have recently moved from Windows to Linux).

At first I have installed OpenSuse 10.2 on my laptop (hp compaq nx7010), my main aim was to try compiz or beryl.

But I could not install the ATI drivers on my laptops and Compiz runs terrible without them.

So as an alternative I decided to move to Fedora Core, I will wait for Fedora 7 and install it.

My questions are as follows, I liked YAST a lot on Suse ( it is quite helpful for newbies), is there a similar program for Fedora?

Will installing the device drivers (for Ati mobility Radeon 9200) be possible on Fedora 7?

leigh123linux
16th May 2007, 12:59 PM
Will installing the device drivers (for Ati mobility Radeon 9200) be possible on Fedora 7?

No the ati driver version 8.28 wont work ( which is the highest version that your 9200 will work with ) with FC7 , you will have to use the radeon driver instead.

as for a yast equivalent NO

The only distro I know that will support you card fully is Debian Etch which still uses 8.28 ( screenshot )

A.Serbinski
16th May 2007, 06:18 PM
My questions are as follows, I liked YAST a lot on Suse ( it is quite helpful for newbies), is there a similar program for Fedora?
pirut

ATI drivers were never any good. Might work, probably wont.

leigh123linux
16th May 2007, 06:24 PM
pirut

YaST2 is a tool for administering and maintaining a SUSE Linux installation. It allows administrators to install software, configure hardware, setup networks and servers, and more.

you are joking :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YaST

A.Serbinski
16th May 2007, 06:57 PM
There's also system-config-control, but those GUI configuration programs never give you the kind of management over software that you want.

Besides, all it (or yast for that matter) does is starts other configuration programs that are available in your System --> Administration menu.

So no, not joking.

th350urc3
16th May 2007, 08:32 PM
I don't like OpenSuse nor do I support it because of the deal with MS

leigh123linux
16th May 2007, 08:36 PM
There's also system-config-control, but those GUI configuration programs never give you the kind of management over software that you want.

Besides, all it (or yast for that matter) does is starts other configuration programs that are available in your System --> Administration menu.

So no, not joking.

Yes I know but Suse users are one up from Windows users ( They both need a control panel that does everything for them ;) )

JN4OldSchool
16th May 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't like OpenSuse nor do I support it because of the deal with MS

Of course this means you also dont own or use Windows? Not baiting you, I actually agree. I will never use SuSE again (not that I ever did really) or any other Novell product. But I also wont use any MS product either (except for the kids X-Box and I dont use it and cant very well just take it away from them).

dishawjp
16th May 2007, 09:00 PM
I use SUSE, SLED 10 actually, at work because it's the only Linux they allow on their network. At home I use Fedora, but also play with OpenSUSE. I'm not at all happy about Novell's deal with Microsoft, and I'm not really a fan of YaST, but other than that, SUSE is really not all that bad. And given a choice between having to work with MSWindows at work or using SUSE Linux... well there's no Microsoft on any of my computers, at work or at home.

Just my $.02

Jim

th350urc3
17th May 2007, 12:36 PM
I liked what Novell did with Suse but they fudged all that up with deal with MS. I do run windows, only in a vmware environment. I support windows at work so I need to know what I am doing. Not to cheer for the bad guy but Windows, their server product, have good management tools. Our fedora Core Directory server is GREAT but try to manage it. Not as easy as managing Active Directory. So in a networked environment, for me, I would run an Active directory server and the rest linux machines. Other than that I think MS OS is crap and over priced. With all this ShXXXX accusations of the linux kernel infringing on their intellectual property is really making me mad. I just cannot believe how dirty that company plays. So, that is why I do not support Suse.

I went to a Vista seminar on monday. And I must say, nobody asked any questions at the end. Everyone was just waiting to get out. I think MS knows Linux will take over because everyone is tired of their crap.

my 10 cents.

JN4OldSchool
17th May 2007, 12:53 PM
just remember sourceman, SuSE is just a pawn. Oh sure, they made their own bed, they made the deal with the devil. In the end it was Novell who was too stupid to realize who they were dealing with. But I wouldnt hold a grudge. Take it from an old man who has banned half the goods and services of the world from his life, it isnt any fun to have morals. Personally, I own a small business. I can do what I want. I dont need Windows. Other than a few games i dont miss it. If I needed it? I would use it. No way around that. Same as Jim up above you and his situation with SuSE. The things I do are for personal reasons and I dont expect anyone to share my views. I just find it hypocritical to hate a tool and not the man wielding it. As arrogant and just plain stupid as MS is getting this last year or two, this will all blow over. Things will settle out and MS aint going anywhere. My only hope is they either wake up and dump Ballmer or he has a heart attack. Business is business, but most of this stuff should have been kept behind closed Redmond doors. Ballmer is just a drama queen and nutty as a fruitcake to boot. He is a loose canon and the main cause of all the problems.

dishawjp
17th May 2007, 02:39 PM
I went to a Vista seminar on monday. And I must say, nobody asked any questions at the end. Everyone was just waiting to get out. I think MS knows Linux will take over because everyone is tired of their crap.

A few years ago I got dragooned into attending a Microsoft seminar. To be honest, I don't even remember exactly what the topic was, some rah-rah stuff about their new (at the time) server OS or something. I was there only because I had to be, but evidently our head of IT had given MS the heads up that I wasn't at all enthusiastic about MS. They kept trying to get me to make comments and draw me in to their presentation, and I really tried very hard not to be rude. Just sort of noncommittal. At the end of their presentation, one of the presenters, a very attractive, well dressed and articulate young lady from Microsoft came up to me and asking if I now understood the benefits of MS over the SunOS and VMS. Again I was polite, and drank the beers she bought me, but at the end just said that I was a lot more comfortable with what I knew and really couldn't endorse switching to Microsoft.

In the end it didn't make any difference though. The windroids won the day and many of our servers went over to Windows for a few years. The good news is that now many of those they're being moved over to Linux.

Yeah, Microsoft... great sales and marketing... crap product.