PDA

View Full Version : Totem won't play video even with codecs installed?

ahz2
14th May 2007, 06:52 PM
Totem says "You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file. You might need to install the necessary plugins." Command line says "** Message: don't know how to handle video/quicktime". However, I think do have the right plugins!

totem-2.16.5-1.fc6
[andrewz@lucy ~]$ rpm -qa | grep gst
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.5-1.fc6.rf
gstreamer-pitfdll-0.9.1.1-1.fc6.rf
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.11-1.fc6
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.2-1.fc6.rf
gstreamer-devel-0.10.11-1.fc6
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.4-3.fc6
gstreamer-0.10.11-1.fc6
gstreamer-tools-0.10.11-1.fc6

$ gst-typefind-0.10 /tmp/menu1.mov
/tmp/menu1.mov - video/quicktime
$ gst-inspect-0.10 | grep quick
typefindfunctions: image/x-quicktime: qif, qtif, qti
typefindfunctions: video/quicktime: mov

I use FC6 with dries and rpmforge. The system is actually LTSP, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

ramasees
14th May 2007, 07:33 PM
hi heres what i do and i havent found a file i cant play just copy paste below in root terminal (su)

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
yum -y install mencoder
echo -e "remove totem\n install totem-xine libdvdcss libdvdnav xine-lib-extras-nonfree\n run\n quit" | yum -y shell
yum -y install mplayerplug-in
yum -y install mozplugger evince
yum -y install vlc
yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33
wget http://www.real.com/realcom/R?href=http%3A%2F%2Fforms%2Ereal%2Ecom%2Freal%2Fpl ayer%2Fdownload%2Ehtml%3Ff%3Dunix%2FRealPlayer10GO LD%2Erpm
rpm -Uvh RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm
cd /tmp
wget http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20061022.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf all-20061022.tar.bz2
su -c 'mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/codecs'
su -c 'cp all-20061022/* /usr/local/lib/codecs'
rm -rf /tmp/all-20061022*
su -c 'ln -sf /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/codecs && ln -sf /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32 && ln -sf /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32'

hope this was some help

Dies
14th May 2007, 07:42 PM
Totem says "You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file. You might need to install the necessary plugins." Command line says "** Message: don't know how to handle video/quicktime". However, I think do have the right plugins!

I use FC6 with dries and rpmforge. The system is actually LTSP, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

While Ramasees response is one solution it looks like you're trying to go with Gstreamer which is what I like to do, it works well for me.

I use Livna for everything except the pitfdll which I think I got from Fresh not sure, it's been a while, but Totem pretty much plays everything I throw at it, I use VLC for DVD's.

Do you have the mplayer codecs installed? and I thought I had a plugins-bad package too..
Sorry not on FC right now, I check later but I think those are the only differences.

Boris Cat
14th May 2007, 08:35 PM
I had the same trouble as you are, nearly caused me to dump my linux OS... :mad: however

Installing VLC for DVD and most video file formats worked a treat,
Realplayer for streaming stuff (usually NASA TV or BBC sports)
And installing the MP3 codecs for Rythembox

Dumping totally useless totom is a good idea :cool:

Boris

ldwhyte
16th May 2007, 06:49 PM
I've just loaded FC5, ran the updater and after 5hours, still can't play a video file like so many others I've read about. It could be me since I'm completly new to linux, but I it does seem Totam has a problem.

How can I get rid of Totam, and install VLC along with all the codes I'll need?

Thanks in advance.

Dies
16th May 2007, 09:10 PM
O.K. people Totem does NOT have a problem, it's pretty apparent that you didn't read my post where I said that it will play anything you throw at it as long as you have the right plugins/codecs.

This is no different than any other player.

@ Boris Cat

You not knowing what you are doing doesn't make something useless.

@ ldwhyte

Click on the link at the top of the forum, the one that says Fedora FAQ or look in the how-to section, maybe even try doing a search. This has been covered a million times.

ldwhyte
16th May 2007, 09:36 PM
ok, so it's a fine piece of software, but for someone thats new to this, and trying to switch from, or atleast explore the posibillity from windows, I get alot of "go to www.XXXXX.org" and READ!!

how about some straight talk, which is what is hard to find when trying to learn linux, and I know I'll get the "go back to windows" or "you're stupid" something along that line, but the fact still remains that even after reading some of the post here, the directions are not clear.

I can go to a suggested link, after some time may even find the file to download, but then what, remember, myself and many other that come to places like this are very new to this OS, and are looking for something that will take care of stationary task, play video, music, surf the net and other simple task any windows machine will do out of the box without needing to "Read" some post and then deciefer the codes injected.

linux looks good, but if it really takes all this just to play a DVD, retail or now (windows will do both out of the box), why change.

where can I find step by step instructions on resolving this and other problems like this.

thanks in advance.

Dies
16th May 2007, 09:53 PM
ok, so it's a fine piece of software, but for someone thats new to this, and trying to switch from, or atleast explore the posibillity from windows, I get alot of "go to www.XXXXX.org" and READ!!

how about some straight talk, which is what is hard to find when trying to learn linux, and I know I'll get the "go back to windows" or "you're stupid" something along that line, but the fact still remains that even after reading some of the post here, the directions are not clear.

I can go to a suggested link, after some time may even find the file to download, but then what, remember, myself and many other that come to places like this are very new to this OS, and are looking for something that will take care of stationary task, play video, music, surf the net and other simple task any windows machine will do out of the box without needing to "Read" some post and then deciefer the codes injected.

linux looks good, but if it really takes all this just to play a DVD, retail or now (windows will do both out of the box), why change.

where can I find step by step instructions on resolving this and other problems like this.

thanks in advance.

What are you talking about ?!?

I just told you where to find "step by step" instructions. Did you read my post, did you click on the link ?!?

Windows DOES NOT play DVD's out of the box, have you ever done a clean install of Windows ? A clean install of Windows that has no connection to the internet will play very few formats and definitely not DVD.

Who here has told you that you are stupid or to go back to Windows ?
I think we would like to see this thread for ourselves.

You want some straight talk ? Well here it is

If you feel that reading some post or searching for answers or learning anything new is too much of a bother then you should give up right now and not just on Linux.

That kind of attitude will not get you very far at all, people are more than willing to help others but not those that are too lazy to who help themselves.

leigh123linux
16th May 2007, 10:10 PM
I've just loaded FC5, ran the updater and after 5hours, still can't play a video file like so many others I've read about. It could be me since I'm completly new to linux, but I it does seem Totam has a problem.

How can I get rid of Totam, and install VLC along with all the codes I'll need?

Thanks in advance.

OK ( spoon feed ) :D

su -
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
yum install libdvdcss vlc
yum remove totem